Ironsword: Skull and Bones

Community Forums/Showcase/Ironsword: Skull and Bones

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#1]
This was a quick BlitzMax project that I completed just today. Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors II has always been one of my favorite NES games, and I thought it would be fun to see how quickly I could recreate the skull and cup game that you can play in the game's shops. It's great for exercising your psychic ability ;)

Thanks goes to Kanati for his mersenne twist module that handles the random number generation.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Download 1.30MB

Controls
-
Space - Start Game / Place Bet
Enter - Place Bet
F1 - Toggle Bilinear Filtering
ESC - Exit game in progress / Quit / Return to windowed from full screen
Left - Select cup to the left
Right - Select cup to the right
Maximize - Fullscreen

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2006) [#2]
nicely done =]

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#3]
Top work!
I like your remakes.

One tiny thing...
I could not see the window icon in the corner when running the exe?

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks guys :)

@Grisu: That's strange. I'll try compiling the icon in as a resource and re-uploading. That should fix it for sure.

I forgot to mention that there is a fair amount of framework code for getting your window to behave as it should. There's code to center it, give it min/max buttons, show the mouse on the titlebar, negative millisecs() fix, etc. Might be useful for others to use as a base for new projects.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#5]
I already put some of it (min/max buttons) into the code archives.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hi Eikon !

A little small game in retro style. Cool, i like the 80`s.

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#7]
Did you ask the original developers for permission?

http://www.zee-3.com/pickfordbros/games/oldgame.php?game=ironsword&parent=softography&state=1st=n%imp=Any%ord=Newest%ji=Ignore%si=Ignore%pl=Any%te=Any%dv=Any%rs=Any%ds=s%res=5%ft=y

;-)

Downloading now...

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#8]
Run Eikon, run... ;)

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#9]
@Blitzblaster: I'm glad you like it. The 80s did indeed rock, especially in retrospect when compared to the 90s. :)

@JP: No, but your site is what gave me the idea to give it another play after some years.

Surely you see it as a tribute to the game's greatness, right? ;)

I'll remove it if you want, just say the word.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#10]
44% accuracy YAY!

Hmmm i think you might actually be able to make a game out of this somehow. I wouldn't use any instant loose system without adding some complexity and deceson based outcomes.

I don't like unlicensed use of art and trademanks, just my opinion. Maybe make new updated graphics or simply use the system palette and make your own. I would opt for the latter.

I'm only here to call the gameplay fun, but not something i would play on a daily basis. Like I said you could take this further and maybe make a fun minigame. It just doesn't fit outside the context of a small ingame gambling novilty, why earn gold if you don't have armor/swords to buy?

If this was just a personal challange and not meant to be a real game than you did a good job.

Meh I'm coming off as snotty, overall congrats on meeting your goal. ^_-

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#11]

@JP: No, but your site is what gave me the idea to give it another play after some years.

Surely you see it as a tribute to the game's greatness, right? ;)

I'll remove it if you want, just say the word.

I'm only messin' it's fine by us. Not that we own any rights.

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#12]
cant see any graphics what renderer and bitdepth are you using?

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#13]
@Ryan: It was a personal challenge to see if I could recreate the game in a day's worth of work. I'm also not much of an artist, so I used the original artwork. Thank you for the indepth critique :)

@JP: I know, but thanks for being cool about it, all the same.

@Slunkar: I'm using Direct3D. Window mode is using the desktop's bitdepth, and fullscreen is using 32bit. The full source is included if you want to try and fiddle with it. This is about as basic as BMax rendering can get - I'm not sure where the problem could be.

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#14]
for some reason directx under blitzmax doesnt work for me in that aleithometer demo only the OpenGL version worked.

I dont own blitzmax yet but I will sooner or later