Aerial Antics Reboost VR

Community Forums/Showcase/Aerial Antics Reboost VR

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#1]
I spent the last 3 days reworking Aerial Antics to be played from the first person perspective and writing a .dll to wrap VRPN into the Aerial Antics engine. Going from 0 knowledge of VRPN to actually having it control Aerial Antics wasn't that easy and I spent a ludicrous amount of time fighting with the linker in Visual C++ because various builds of VRPN didn't work right and then the documentation wasn't in sync for the build that linked properly.

However, in the middle of our work time today we were finally playing Aerial Antics in VR and it was absolutely kick ass! Leroy at one point was flying and looking out across the water over his left shoulder ... by the time he decided to turn around and face forward he was upon a tree at which point he screamed and fell out of his chair!

I now present Leroy, Leroy's garage, and Aerial Antics Reboost VR:

Notice the tree on the monitor and the motion blur in this one as I jump back to avoid Leroy rolling into me!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
haha, sounds great fun!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#3]
Indeed, I am VERY interested in this!

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
Holy Christ, how does anyone live/work in that mess???

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#5]
It's nothing compared to MY mess! :)

(Mind you, I don't seem to be getting much done, either...)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#6]
maybe that's why he has VR... he can escape to a world where the 'mess' can be taken care of with one click of a button...

:)

FINALLY!!!! VR being used by someone... maybe i will see it before i die...

i'm with Cygnus on this... verrrrry interesting indeed...

give us some details Jeremy... the type setup, which one... screen size... color res... speed and smoothnesss... controls...

--Mike

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#7]
LOL, Red, you know, (If you have "Kellogs Frosties" over there!) you could be Tony the Tiger. :D (if you don't have Kellogs then this joke will be known to the UK only :) )

Jeremy, How is it rigged up? How does it interface with Blitz?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#8]
:) yup... familiar with ITTTT's GREEEAAATT!!!!

--Mike

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#9]
It's a Faststrack head unit I believe with 800 X 600 resolution screens. It looks pretty good. The other units we're going to use I'm not sure if they are as good. Apparently, this one has a latency of only 10MS and the others might be 20 - 30MS but other than that they are supposed to be the same. My partner on this one has three pods I think so we're going to hook them up for some networked jet pack fun.

For the interface with Blitz I created a dll/userlib so I can call the VRPN (Virtual-Reality Peripheral Network) functions directly from Blitz. Basically, at the moment I have:

initTracker()
trackerMainLoop()
getTrackerPitch()
getTrackerYaw()
getTrackerRoll()

Then there's some C++ source on the other side that converts the head units quaternion to eulers and does the rest of the heavy lifting (which isn't much actually). The Blitz side is pure cake.

Next up I'm going to do two camera renders in Blitz to support the units steroscopic capabilities ;) There'll probably also be a port to BlitzMax pretty soon, but I'll probably do most of the prototyping in B3D. Leroy is also keen on Torque so I've got to dig into the player class over there to get the head movement like I have with Blitz. In Aerial Antics multiplayer the players head moves just as it the real player's moves. It's cool just the watch your shadow move its head actually ;)

stayne(Posted 2006) [#10]
Cool, but that contraption on your head looks less than comfortable.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#11]
Hehe, check this out! It's a stereoscopic test ... can't wait to actually get to see it with the VR helmet but it actually works fine just pressing my head to the monitor ;)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#12]
Cool, but that contraption on your head looks less than comfortable.

Yeah, looks like that poor guys has been plugged into the Matrix ;) Looks pretty cool though. How much does a peice of kit like that set you back?

Stevie

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#13]
They are expensive. I think he managed to get some pieces fairly cheap considering they used to be 80 grand in their heyday. I'm not really sure how much he paid for them all. I think he actually got really lucky with one one of the receivers. He said someone just didn't know what they had and sold it cheap. He then pointed out a unit on Ebay that did the same thing but cost $15,000! The only thing is that it was a longer range version so his wouldn't be worth that much. It's really a pretty complicated setup.

EOF(Posted 2006) [#14]
Great stuff. Takes me back to the days of going boggle-eyed with those stereo-scopic images. Something similar to:

stayne(Posted 2006) [#15]
Last year I came up with an idea (all in my head of course, never went any further due to obvious reasons).

Anyway, take a real-life warehouse, building or even a field outside and create an FPS map identical to it, but with enemies and such. That way, you could tote around a computer on your back, wear VR and commence to playing. Prior to starting you'd have to stand in a certain spot to "calibrate" your location.

Could that be done? Would put laser tag out of business :).

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#16]
if it were true vr mark, you wouldn't have to calibrate to anything in the real world... once you entered the simulation, the program could 'spawn' you anywhere inside the sim... and depending on the fidelity of the program, you might be able to interact via tactile feedback sensors in gloves, in addition to the visual feedback from the hedmounted sensor... it would indeed seem quite real, as when you 'touched' objects the program would provide feedback to the gloves that would make them seem solid, and that tied with the visual cues would make everything you see seee verrrry real indeed...

my only objection to the current vr kits available is the low resolution of those in the price range that i can afford...

--Mike

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#17]
Jeremy

I have a Z800 headset from Emagin (800x600, headtracking)

Be dead keen to give AA a go from the FP perspective...

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#18]
I can see this being very successful.
I know of quite a few VR setups that could use some good software, and AA should fit into the field perfectly.

Great job!

(And I like Mark's idea... It could end up with bother like such as bumping into people who are not being drawn by the equipment for various reasons, but worth trying. If I had a hugely expensive VR headset, loads of wireless modules and motion sensors, a lot of money, a lot of time, and actual knowledge of how to program microchips with my own code, I'd even try it myself!).

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#19]
They do have those augmented reality setups. I suggested the same thing you said to Leroy and he told me I was crazy. First of all you'd need the newest wireless VR stuff which is hugely expensive and second ... yeah people could get hurt if something alien got thrown into the simulation.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#20]
understood. my alternative idea was to have a camera attached to a vr headset. everything in view by the camera would be re-mapped, re-textured (sci-fi style of course) and displayed in VR. i have lots of stupid ideas :)

wishful thinking.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#21]
Got it working tonight with one handed motion controller and killer stereoscopic view. There's still a lot to be done but it's going to be a real kick ass experience. I haven't been this excited about something since I made my first networked game Skyline Riders!

MErren(Posted 2006) [#22]
Hi Jeremy,
wow you did it?
I worked my as of for VR.
Look Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3D VR Headset
Maybe you can Help me.
The "Blitz Crew" can't.

Greets

m.erren

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#23]
I'd like to point out the main reason I dislike FPS games:

Limited FOV.

I like to be able to see if something is stiring at 88 degrees to my left. then I can turn that way.

In an FPS, enemies can creap up on you way too easily.

THIS... is the solution. (well, mostly).

When you wear the goggles Jeremy, just how immersive is it?

Man I'd love to do something like this in Max :)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#24]
It's pretty damn awesome! I think the stereoscopic effect is the best part about it. I love how you can just make things pop off the screen. I do think it could be more immersive ... but they'd have to design new VR headsets that wrap around your eyes more for a peripheral vision effect. Still at this point it's the most immersive thing around.

MErren(Posted 2006) [#25]
Hi Jeremy,
is it posible tobecome the .dll to wrap VRPN into B3D?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#26]
That's what I did.

MErren(Posted 2006) [#27]
Oh, OK, my false.
Where can i find it? Just the .dll
I will try to use it with the Cybermaxx

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#28]
I made the .dll. You have to wrap VRPN into a .dll. You can't use the normal VRPN .dll because it uses a callback function to update the system and Blitz3D doesn't support function pointers so the callback function has to be in C++ or some language that supports function pointers like BlitzMax even.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#29]
Jeremy, I think MErren is asking you if your .dll is available or are you not releasing it.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#30]
Yeah, was afraid of that. As of right now we're not releasing this stuff. We have to see where it goes plus it's not completely done yet. Once we know our plan then I'll see about releasing it all.

Chevron(Posted 2006) [#31]
Interesting Jeremy, I too have been fiddling arond with making a head tracker controller in my spare time at work. Finally got it working and it plugs directly into the joystick port so dont need to use a .dll. It returns pitch and yaw angles of the wearers head.

Costs arounnd $15 to build. Dont have any glasses yet though to fully test it out with.

MErren(Posted 2006) [#32]
Nice, just 15$. I also made one for Free. Look at my Post. But BB won't work with it. Also the Blitz Crew can't or won't help me. And so I think we can change Know How. I have glasses Chevron if you wan't I test your .dll, just for 15$ :)
Greet MErren

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#33]
Wow, this is such a timely thread for me. I am currently working on an AR project using Blitz (I haven't done head tracking yet, but I do have 3D graphics overlayed on a live video,) and am planning to purchase some VR gear to experiment with. Any chance you can release the VRPN dll?

I have a Z800 headset from Emagin (800x600, headtracking)

Yep, this here is what I'm planning to buy.

ADDITION: Just read your post where you said you're not sure if you'll be releasing your dll. Please do! No need to release any of the AA specific stuff, but the dll would be a great gift to the community.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#34]
Yeah we probably will. It makes it super simple to interface with anything. At this point it's just a matter of time. Is VRPN what you use to interface with the Z800? I know it supports a lot of VR devices so I wouldn't be surprised but do you know this for sure?

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#35]
I do not. I only just learned of VRPN from reading this thread.