Vector's Revenge v0.8

Community Forums/Showcase/Vector's Revenge v0.8

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2006) [#1]
A simple remake of Yar's Revenge from the Atari 2600.

http://www.tcksoft.co.uk/download.php?view.18

Please give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

If you haven't played the game it's a bit hard to understand. lol.

Any Yar fans please get back to me and let me know if anything needs changing or adding. Cheers.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#2]
hey pretty cool remake. Seems to be to missing the chipping away at the shield area, and the main canon!!

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2006) [#3]
The block eating and Zorlon Cannon are included. ;)

Just perhaps the shield has a few more "hit points" than you remember. :D

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hmm, any plans to port this to an old Atari 2600? That would be something to see this on an old cart being played...

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#5]
yah, its been a while since i played it...lemme try again....

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2006) [#6]
Emailed Howard Scott Warshaw and asked him to try it and if he had any suggestions.

I hope he gives it a whirl, he said he would. :D

Just got to add high score board and stuff when I have the time, already added more shield configs in my WIP version and a difficulty curve.

ArcadEd(Posted 2006) [#7]
Man, that is really cool. Yars is still one of my favorite games of all time :).

Would you mind if I:
1. Included this on the iRetroGame.com website and
2. Included it with my arcade-in-a-box units

Let me know.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#8]
What do you do after destroying all the green shield blocks?

ArcadEd(Posted 2006) [#9]
You have to either touch the boss thing (when it's not spinning) or eat the blocks. You'll get a super bullet all the way on the left of the screen. Now you have you hit the boss with that.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thanks ArcadeEd, but I can't seem to 'eat the blocks' - I just bounce of them.

BTW, is the beam on the left half of the screen just to prevent me from firing, or does it do something else?

ArcadEd(Posted 2006) [#11]
Keep pushing towards the blocks, you'll start to eat them. Easiest way is to just touch the blue boss thing.

The Force Field protects you from the little annoying thing that chases you around. It can't hurt you while you are in there, but you can't shoot either.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#12]
Ah, thanks, but, I still can't seem to eat the blocks - I just bounce/slide off when pushing against them. :/

Anyway, this is a pretty odd little shooter but I found it really quite compelling to play, despite it's simplicity (no doubt a restriction forced on the original game, due to limited hardware). In fact, I played this a good deal longer than I generally spend on most 'flashy' demos I download from around these parts. Not sure what that says. :)

Yep, I liked it.

[edit]Pity there's no joypad controls, though.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2006) [#13]
Big10p - v0.9 has joypad/stick controls in - and more shield configs. I have emailed you the url. Just waiting to put high score code in that someone is working on then it's done I think.

ArcadEd - it's a freeware game and would rather it wasn't linked with a commercial project, I hope you understand. Thanks for your kind comments about the game - glad there are some people out there who actually played the original.

ArcadEd(Posted 2006) [#14]
Caffeine, that's not a problem at all. It's the very reason I ask :).

I'm glad you took the time to respond.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#15]
TCK: Thanks for the updated version. :)

I should have noticed that the green blocks fade before being destroyed but the motion blur and my blurry monitor made it difficult to see.

I did notice that banging into the blocks sometimes causes the super missile to appear without me touching the, er, 'thing' inside the shield. Is this supposed to happen?

9572AD(Posted 2006) [#16]
Yeah, that would be the "eating".

big10p(Posted 2006) [#17]
[edit]

Oh, so eating blocks creates a super missile? I see.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2006) [#18]
Just to note that if you don't like the blur effect you can press B at any time to toggle it and switch it off or back on.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#19]
That's better. ;)