Nova Strider Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Nova Strider Demo

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#1]
This was a small game I was working on, designed to be something played over a coffee break. It's currently on hold while I continue work on HydraMax. Online score support isn't in yet, but it could be if there's some interest. There are four levels / color variations, and the speed is continually increased as you go on. I would like to hear your ideas on different obstacles that could appear in the tunnel. Please give it a play and let me know what you think.

Download Nova Strider 4MB

Controls
-
Move Left - Left Arrow, Move Mouse Left
Move Right - Right Arrow, Move Mouse Right
Speed Time - Down Arrow, Mouse Button 1
Slow Time - Up Arrow, Mouse Button 2
Pause - Space
F1 - Tweak mouse sensitivity
Maximize for fullscreen
(There are some bugs, mainly involving the mouse cursor)

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#2]
It's really, really, difficult. In fact, I think it's just unfair - unless I'm missing something, it's pretty much up to chance whether you'll be in the right position to avoid an obstacle when it appears on screen. The controls are really sluggish too, which doesn't help. I like the graphics, though.
I'd give the player more warning of what's coming up, and make the flameball thing much more manoeuvrable. As it is at the moment, you get about half a second to react to an obstacle appearing, and if you can get out of its way at all, most of your time after that is just spent watching the ball move, because there are only two speeds you can move sideways at. After you avoid an obstacle, you then spend another couple of seconds doing nothing before the next one comes up.

...ok, so I've just found the mouse sensitivity button, but I still don't enjoy the two-step speed thing.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks for the feedback. I've been told before that it is really difficult, not only to play but to control. I can usually get to the third round without problems, but I know games are always easier for their creator.

If the mouse controls don't work out, even with changed sensitivity, please give the keyboard a try, I think that makes it easier. Also remember to slow down time whenever you get in trouble. The amount of slow time you are able to use is slightly increased with each new level.

Making the controls smoother and the obstacles easier to avoid at first is now at the top of my changes list.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#4]
Very nice eye candy-like particles. But tough as hell...and quite frustrating too! But cool game though :)