KeePeeUppy Released (100% freeware)

Community Forums/Showcase/KeePeeUppy Released (100% freeware)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]

KeyPeeUppy is a free, addictive and fun game for all the family. The object of the game is simply to keep the ball off the ground. Unlike other similar games KeePeeUppy featues a 3d ball and realistic physics engine so it feels like you are actually playing with a real football. KeePeeUppy also has the added feature of red and yellow cards which add to the game play. You can also compete with players from all over the world!

Get KeePeeUppy now and get in practice for the World Cup.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
Why does it try to install to my windows directories?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#3]
you mean soccer ball? ;)

Looks great, my son will love this. Thank you so much.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#4]
IndiePath,

do you mean what does it install to your windows directories?

A couple of harmless dlls, tokamak.dll, tokamakwrapper.dll and etna.dll

Is that a problem?

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yeh, it's cool, but I've played better keepyuppy games. It seems a little bit laggy when I've got Winamp on in the background (which is annoying) and the moving the mouse up doesn't seem to make a difference to how hard the ball gets hit. Sometimes I can be not moving the mouse and it flies up into the air.

And a little bug:
You can submit the same highscore over and over again, just by replaying...

(EDIT: If you can find Soccer Freak!, it's a similar game made a few years back in MMF that I find is a lot more intuitive)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#6]
Just wondered why you put them there. It's not a problem I just thought that maybe you were making a screen saver of it.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#7]
No more screen savers for a while...

Jimbob - thats cool you've played better - this was a freebie for the community...please email me where I can try then and I'll make this better. Where they free and 3d?

I'll fix the bug.

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#8]
Hehe, I didn't mean to sound harsh but I'll try explain a bit better.

- I like the little touches of the cards, but maybe there should be a penalty if you let one slip past? That would probably mean you'd have to destroy the cards onscreen if you had to start again but it's not that difficult to implement I assume.
- When touching the ball, the control doesn't seem too great, it's quite hard to push the direction of the ball from one side of the screen to the other intuitively.
- Sometimes the ball slips through my mouse pointer and cause me to lose the ball, this is not when the ball is falling fast from a great height but just in general play.
- You could think of possibly adding a 'pointer' when the ball is off screen so as to show where the ball is falling. It might make it easier, but it'd make it less frustrating.

I'll have another go at it and check that it isn't me running lots of applications at once causing any performance issues. But yeh, it's a fun little game. I'm not taking that away from you :P

The game I'm talking about is Soccer Freak. It was released a while ago with an online highscore table, customisable ingame music, and with a 2d rotating ball and decent physics. There was also another freeware game released by the now defunct Kedamonoware of a similar nature but 3d, but the name escapes me at the moment.

wizzlefish(Posted 2006) [#9]
Isn't that one of the Vista wallpapers?

puki(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hey, this is a good idea - probably one of mine that I mentioned in a thread a while ago.

World Cup soon - woof, woof.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#11]
There's a fun game like this with IToy on PS2.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#12]
puki,

sorry not one of your ideas but mine. I always liked the Keepy Upy games so thought this close to the world cup a footie game is in order. This is probably gonna start a whole slew of football related games but you'd better be quick cos it starts soon!

Wizzlefish,

not to my knowledge...

Jimbob,

thanks for the info - I'll check it out. I plan to add a few more polishing touches to it so may implement your ideas - they are good but as this is (currently (read the license)) a free game then I don't plan to spend too much more time on it...

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#13]
I enjoy the PS2 EyeToy version of this, but unfortunately this is unplayable, at 1-2fps, on my system.

I know its not a state of the art PC but something as simple looking as this should run fine.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#14]
Geehawk,

you again! You had trouble running qoob (and we rewrote the slower parts just for you -- no-one else complained ;-) )

I'm not too sure why this runs so slow on your machine - maybe its the TokaMak physics proving too much for your CPU.

Anyhow its a freebie and unfortunately there's not much code I can remove to make it quicker...

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#15]
Its just when the cards appear the frame rate plummets, so I doubt its the physics.
Also your watchball screen saver ran faster/smoother than this so again I doubt its the physics.

I know its a freebie, just thought you might like to know.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#16]
Geehawk - interesting.

I do appreciate the feedback - so the fps is what prior to the cards?

I shall look into this. Its odd cos the cards are just 2 images being drawn by sprite candy...

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#17]
37-38fps at the start, although I am wondering if like the qoob menu problems I was having its tied into mouse movement too, as after the fps has dropped to 1 it never recovers even when there are no cards on screen.

RGR(Posted 2006) [#18]
What the hell makes you think anybody wants that program in his windows\System32 Folder (Main file + dlls)
You must be crazy...

Just imagine every game producer - especially the big guys with their gigabyte installations - would do this ... how your system32 folder would look like !!!

Unbelievable....

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#19]
all,

I have just realised what people are unhappy about.

It's installing the game+data into the system32 directory.

THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPENING!!!

The install script is WRONG!

I shall amend it RIGHT NOW!

Sorry....

I used the install script from another project which CORRECTLY installs files to the system32 directory, I forgot to change the install dir to \program files\etc

SORRY!!!

RGR(Posted 2006) [#20]
Thanks for the quick reaction :-)

I really thought you made this on purpose... LOL ... forgive me, please ... sorry, too

btw. You should not install any of the above mentioned dlls in system32 ...
for instance .. if someone finds your game in 2 years and installs it ... maybe he has his own newer tokamak.dll there and your installer overwrites it ... and I just noticed ... your uninstaller does not delete them when you uninstall the game ...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#21]
Fixed - new version uploaded...

It still installs a couple of DLLs to \windows\system32 but AFAIK that's perfectly acceptable.

{edit}
Whoops - just read the above - OK I'll stick the DLLs into the apps dir...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#22]
In fact I'm not so sure I shouldn't be installing DLLs into \system32...

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#23]
Why just not let the dll's in the same directory of the executable? it will work perfectly...

RGR(Posted 2006) [#24]
If you have a good installer its not a big problem.
But the installer you use, BoiledSweets, does not check for newer versions ... it just overwrites files with the same name ... and when you uninstall then the uninstaller does not delete them from system32 ... obviously to make sure it does not delete files other programs may need...
In that case ... and thats something for all of us users of the lowcost installers ... we should install all files into the install directory of the game.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#25]
KuRiX,

I'll change it so that they are in the same dir as the exe and the working dir is also set to the exe dir.

RaGR,

I use InnoSetup which should handle things ok but I guess its cleaner to install to a single dir and leave the system32 dir well alone...

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#26]
I think I found a bug, whenever I click on a yellow card, I get +1 to red, not sure how much score I get though.

Maybe I suddenly became color blind!? ;)

Fun game, although I suck at it :(

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#27]
Well the current top score is Colin with a staggering 612!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#28]
NEW VERSION!

Version 1.00 (build 14) 12.5.06

Added indicator to show where the ball is when its off the top off the top of the screen.

Reduced the fade times between screens/info

All files now installed into application directory NOT \windows\system32 - oops!

The top score was updating the high score table every time ¨C fixed.

Added exploding stars when a red or yellow card was prevented

Added sound effect when a card is prevented

Added sound effect when the ball hits the floor

Added click sound effect when selecting y or n to the online scores prompt

Added a new background

http://www.boiledsweets.com/KeePeeUppy

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#29]
Thee's something wrong with your zip file. It says the file is missing bytes... odd problem :o)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#30]
Re-uploaded - ALL OK - tested - fine - 100%

GO GO GO

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#31]
Ok cheers :o)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#32]
I'm too nice to you! Please try the new version, it's much more polished and like a pro game now (at least I think). I would appreciate your feedback. It's still FREE too. Please feel free to donate...

http://www.boiledsweets.com/KeePeeUppy

Version 1.00 (build 15) 18.5.06

Major redesign of menu

Added donate page so that generous users can Make a small gift.

Added options page - Music on/off, Music volume, Sound FX on/off, Sound FX volume.

Added on screen keyboard so the high score user name can be entered with the mouse.

Added music to the menu

Adjusted the layout of the high score table and online database to (allow 16 characters for username).

Removed the menu button release sound.

Replaced the Y/N prompt for the online score prompt with buttons.

Improved fonts, now have a 3d look and different colours.

The online score prompt now slides on and off the screen.

The title and buttons now slide on the screen.

Amended the instructions.

The KeyPeeUppy icon is now a football.

Added in game instructional prompt.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now you know me a feature creep - well let's just say I've started on the next version and it has some neat stuff in it, don't want to ruin the surprise and all but let's just say there are bad luck black cats involved!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#33]
*bump*

Please try the new version - it's loads better...

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#34]
meh, the ball keeps sliding through the pointer...gets worse as the game progresses.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#35]
Personally for me I hate programs installing dlls in system dirs. There's no point, why not install your dlls in the game dir?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#36]
Is doesn't anymore!!!!