gellyware(Posted 2006) [#1]

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#2]
Minesweeper? :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#3]
Minesweeper? :)

eh?

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#4]
Where can it be downloaded?
Also, quick question: 2 months ago, you said that you would try to use the ETNA library with this game. Were you able to do that finally?

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#5]
Looks polished, hope it does well, only thing here is that I just cant see myself playing a "themed" version of Sudoku, too used to the pen & paper clean look the game has on the newspapers....but I can see that others wouldn't mind at all and will have a ball with this.

Also, just a little thing I noticed, unsure if you're aware of it, that "timer" looking bar in the lower-left corner looks a bit pixellated by the overlayed graphic ruining the otherwise very clean graphics, everything else looks fab.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
This looks good and I hope it does well for you. However, I noticed the timer bar too almost straight away, also there is a funny line (like a horizontal tear) across the game panel just above the timer on the two circular gargoyle type things.

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks for the comments

@Grisu - Not sure what you are asking :) This isn't mindsweeper, see title of game :)

@Repeat Until - I had ETNA fully working with the high scores and my website and have removed it from the game because unless I can post high scores for "all" games that is hosted at gellyware.com, then I can not do for one that I can not do for all. I intend on allowing others to host their games on the gellyware site and it would take too much specialized coordination to have everyone posting highscores to the same database. (unrealistic as well). ETNA is simple to use though and I had everything working in a day (including implementing md5 encryption as a key to prevent unauthorized use)

@Genexi - Thanks for the comments! THe time bar does need some help, I haven't revisted that since the creation and plan on fixing it before the Monday release. Good eye!

@Grey - Good eye as well. I wish I could have used your framework for this project as it would have made many things easier! On the next project on... you can bet I will utilize your time saving framework.

Not sure if you have noticed the tile wheel being a different tile set (mayan tiles) as opposed to the number tiles on the board! That's a bug. Fixing it now~~

sswift(Posted 2006) [#8]
Perhaps you should increase the brightness of the background, and maybe add a drop shadow like so:

Maybe try a different color:

I can give you the Photoshop file which I used to make the changes if you like.

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#9]
Do you think it's too 'brown'??, or simply too dark?

I wanted the tiles/imagery to pop out, that has been a aestetic battle since the beginning.

p.s. a little fyi for everyone else, I switched over to swifts sprite system mid-development and implemented it successfully in a day. The Sprite System drives the hint effects, the tile wheel expanding/contracting, changing the color of sprites, and is used for animation of faces, moving the hint tile etc...

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#10]

Good call on the teal, I may like it better. I'll let it sit a few days and see if it completely wins me over.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#11]
Gelly:
Both, honestly. I think the green I put there goes nicely with the brown and gold.

"I wanted the tiles/imagery to pop out, that has been a aestetic battle since the beginning."

Well they still pop out in my version. Maybe your monitor is miscalibrated, or you have an LCD screen. I've carefully calibrated my crt, and am in a dark room and can hardly see any details in the background as you have it. It is almost black, with a few reddish details.

Also, you should consider eye strain. I think your version has too much contrast and it is hard to look at the Sudoku board for any length of time. My version is easier on the eyes. It could be better though, if you reduced the darkness of the shadow around the numbers, and maybe reduced the saturation of the numbers on the orange tiles so they aren't exactly the same color as the tile behind them.

I think eye strain is something that is something to be very concerned about in a game like this where you will be staring at it for long periods of time. Bright flashy colors are nice, but you can do those with effects. Like that glowing brick you could add some particles that float upwards like embers from a fire, but not floating side to side, just going straight up. Would look cool. And you might put some jewels in the snakes eyes that light up on occasion. And you could make the word Sudoku show a randome sparkle now and then to make it look shiny.

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#12]
I agree about the issues that you bring up. The teal does seem more visually appealing as well. The vines were introduced to break up the initial 'browns', but that really wasn't enough.

The Sudoku letters currently get brighter and dull at different moments using your animate.alpha function. I have duplicated the letters over my background letters and set them to lightblend with an alpha animation that is offset for each letter.

Good call on the snake eyes :) I've been saving that implementation until the end. I'm also going to add 'gold dust' from the gold bar when your score is increasing. As it stands now, the center mayan head begins 'sniffing' when you get points. The idea is that the mayan head is 'smelling gold' as your increasing your score.

The outer head 'blows' the hint tile to the proper location on screen. Whenever a tile is right clicked, it vanishes in an elegant way.

I might add some additional sparkling to the Sudoku title... maybe even having some of the 'gold dust' fall from it. Hm.

Thanks for the suggestions Shawn.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#13]
"The Sudoku letters currently get brighter and dull at different moments using your animate.alpha function. I have duplicated the letters over my background letters and set them to lightblend with an alpha animation that is offset for each letter."

You know, you can set the color of a sprite over 255 (up to 255*2) and it will do that automatically for you. :-) And as you can animate the color...

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#14]

@Repeat Until - I had ETNA fully working with the high scores and my website and have removed it from the game because unless I can post high scores for "all" games that is hosted at gellyware.com, then I can not do for one that I can not do for all. I intend on allowing others to host their games on the gellyware site and it would take too much specialized coordination to have everyone posting highscores to the same database. (unrealistic as well). ETNA is simple to use though and I had everything working in a day (including implementing md5 encryption as a key to prevent unauthorized use)

I am not sure to understand what you mean. You mean you intend to have several game having their high score in the same database on gellyware.com? Then in that case, you could have 100 games sharing the same database, you just have to create ONE sql table per game, and this is it. So you will have the table "table_sudokuMaya" only accessed by your game, "table_doom6" only accessed by the doom6 game, etc.
But I guess you don't want to change now ;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#15]
gellyware: Yeah it does look better with a brighter background. I can also see a minor version of the horizontal tear at the top of the menu on the two round gargoyles. It's at about mouth height and cuts into the circle. Anyway, I look forward to seeing you next efforts with my framework and sswift's sprite system.

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#16]
@ Repeat

I should have been more clear. I had the high score table showing on the gellyware site per product so when you go to Sudoku Maya, you would have seen the high scores for that game. However, say that Grey Alien's Xmas Bonus was hosted at my site for sale, He wouldn't have the opportunity to have his highscores post using the same system and he would have to modify/add to his code to be specific to the gellyware site (don't see that as an option). So it's best to just do away with the online scores altogether for my purposes and just store them locally.

@grey - Again, good eye. I threw together some quick fixes to see how they 'looked'... I further refined them last night and that tear is no loger there.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
glad you managed to tweak the graphics, it all adds to the "pro" feel.

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#18]
More Pics:

http://www.gellyware.com/temp/sudokumaya/screenshots.htm

OzBlitzManic(Posted 2006) [#19]
Wow. That's looking really nice. Love the slick graphics. cant wait to get me greasy paws on this one. Although I've never played Sudoku before.

:-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#20]
cool. See you improved the horiz tear on the bottom gargoyles. There is still on on the round gargoyles above New Game. The timer is better but it still looks a tad lumpy. But these are minor, overall it looks great!