New shooter development competition launched!

Community Forums/Showcase/New shooter development competition launched!

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#1]
www.shmup-dev.com is proud to announce that our second competition, dubbed “DRAGON SHMUP” has been launched on May 1st, 2006. The competition focuses on shmups, which stands for shoot em ups, a sub-genre of the SHOOTER genre. There are dozens of prizes which are Games, Game development tools, and impressive business tools for shareware business.

Sponsors include:
Delgine – www.delgine.com
Twilight Games – www.twilightgames.com
Intermediaware – www.intermediaware.de
Anawiki Games – www.anawiki.com
Pixel Perceptions – www.pixelperceptions.com
Stormcloud Creations – www.stormcloudcreations.com
Spidahost – www.spidahost.com
IndiePath – www.indiepath.com

This competition is focusing on any aspect of the shmup genre under a few conditions. The game must star a fantasy/medieval dragon as the main character. The dragon must shoot something, either lasers out it’s eyes, or some sort of gas out of its mouth. (or both)

The competition setting must be in a fantasy realm that appears to be in the medieval era mixing with magic that has been seen in many “fantasy” style games / movies. One could think of goblins, orcs, or other dragons, perhaps large birds, etc, etc, etc.

Judges will be rating the games on most original, best graphics, best sound, and of course, best of the best! The contest is running from May 1st, to July 1st, and a more detailed list of rules along with a comprehensive FAQ are all available at www.shmup-dev.com after clicking on the "competitions" tab.

daaan(Posted 2006) [#2]
Woo Hoo! I'm in on this one for sure!

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think I might have to have a go at this too... sounds like fun... Now all I've got to do is make some media!

[edit] My word... Dragons are difficult to model!! [/edit]

Matty(Posted 2006) [#4]
Just read on the competition rules that we have to use original media. Does that mean we cannot use media we have purchased? Does it also mean that we cannot use 2d images of a 3d model we have purchased? Basically, if I were to enter I would use this dragon (or a similar one):

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=3746

(render it and use as a 2d image)

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yeah, you can use media you have purchased!!!

(tu) sinu(Posted 2006) [#6]
Sounds cool, i think i might just have a go.
I can remember that dragon rts type demo someone did and felt like doing something like that before.
Im motivated and ready.
See you in a month :)