Glimmer Gridlock - 40 Levels, 300Kb Download!

Community Forums/Showcase/Glimmer Gridlock - 40 Levels, 300Kb Download!

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
A block-sliding puzzle game which is surprisingly fun and maddeningly unfuriating at the same time. There's 40 levels, they ARE all completable, and yes the last few can be a bit tricky, but shouldn't take you TOO long.

Download <Down For Retooling>

It's written in BlitzMax and HGE, it's less than 300KB to download and it's freeware.

It's something I knocked together VERY hurriedly last night. Took me about 2 hours, plus an hour this morning testing it. Not an original design, it's a complete rip off of a web game I remember playing once. With a bit of luck and the help of igLoader, it will soon be a webgame once again, but on my site.

Obviously the graphics aren't up to much and it could be much more polished, but it was only something I knocked together in a couple of hours, and it's only intended to be an enjoyable timepasser.

Nevertheless, I'd really like to know if there are any bugs. It was rushed rather so there could be something which has escaped me this morning, and I've only played through the first dozen or so levels since making a few changes.

Oh, there's no exit key ( it being a web game, it seemed best ) and there's an "easter egg" which lets you change the graphics. Shouldn't be hard to find.

clownhunter(Posted 2006) [#2]
This sounds a bit like the game Rush Hour. I'm downloading the demo right now.

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
This looks interesting.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#4]
Checking it out now...

clownhunter(Posted 2006) [#5]
Fun game. Level 11 took me around 150 moves to finally figure out what I should do. :S But yeah, this is Rush Hour, and I loved Rush Hour. :)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
I think the web game I played was called Traffic Jam, in which case, it could well have been a rip off of something called Rush Hour.

clownhunter(Posted 2006) [#7]
The game Rush Hour was more like a board game.

The only thing I don't like about this is that if you just click one of the blocks it counts as a move, even if you don't move it.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#8]
Hehehe, i'm liking this. Only problem i've found is, when you click on a block and don't move it, it still counts as a move. Good game!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
Hey I like this, lots of fun :)

Phil, I found out what your error is, I've fixed a few bits in your HTML. Emailed Ya.

Tim.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
Nice one. Took me until level 3 to realise that sometimes you have to move the jazzy block back in order to make progress.

So is this too much of a clone for your to polish it and sell it?

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#11]
This is actually an old game. Much older than the Rush Hour version that Clown Hunter posted. I've been trying to find info on the original version, which was made with just a bunch of wooden blocks, but I can't seem to find it. I do believe it's old enough to be in public domain by now, but I'm not completely sure of it.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#12]
Neat little game. Gives the braincells a bit of a workout. :)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#13]
Thanks Tim, I knew it would be something I'd messed up, but I thought I'd forgotten to upload something instead of messing up the HTML.

So is this too much of a clone for your to polish it and sell it?

I hadn't really thought that far. I wasn't really expecting people would think much of it, but feedback seems to be good so far. I'll have to ponder on that one. It would have to have a lot of extras, and it would certainly need some decent graphics, and a proper theme. Maybe if I have time.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#14]
Hi Phil,

Can you post something on the official forums regarding the fix so that other users can benefit from the information.

Thanks ;)

Tim.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#15]
I was just on my way, but it's still not working for me in IE, so I'm fiddling with it a bit first.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#16]
Have you fixed the small bug with the clicking on a block, making you use a move, even though the block hasn't moved?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#17]
I think you'll have to manually clear your IE cache as MS don't seem to want to delete stuff properly.

PS. This won't be an issue in V2 :)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#18]
Ross: Not yet. It's not a bug as such, as I intended there to be a penalty for clicking on a block, but since people don't like it, I will be removing it at some stage.

Tim: Ok,thanks. I did clear the browser cache, but not manually, so I'll try that.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#19]
runs for me in igLoader although it doesn't embed in the IE window. This is not a new "feature" to me though.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#20]
Yep, it's working in IE for me too, thought it doesn't embed, as you say. I thought I probably messed up somewhere.

Been thinking over your comments about polishing it, and here's a look at what the block graphics would look life if I did.

The interface would need to be designed to match with the cars theme, but I'm sure I could manage something.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#21]
The normal cars look great, but the longer cars are freaky looking. You should use something that is normally long, like a limo or a trailer truck or something.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#22]
Agreed, but I a trailer truck might look out of place with the relatively cute cars. I immediately went for a limo myself. So I went onto TurboSquid for a limo and found the bestest, most expensivest one they've got. Trouble is, it doesn't look any less freaky than my home-made ones to me.

taumel(Posted 2006) [#23]
Hi,

i've just played the game. It's nice and i like it. Dunno how the game was called which played like this...years ago...somehow it reminds me of something...

In my opinion there are missing some extra features so that it's still exciting after playing 10 levels or so. Personally i would stay with cute characters or abstract graphics as it fits better to the concept. I don't like pseudo realistic graphics but that's my personal taste. Or maybe if you want it more interesting port it to a interesting scenario like into a pyramid where you wanna get the treasure out. The elements could be sarcophagi. If you've moved to often mummies show up...and so on...

Now if i only could play it on mac?! ;O)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#24]
you need variation so like a bus and a truck etc. (good for long ones). Actually, cheesy at it sounds, the Egyptian or Mayan/Inca type thing could be cool, complete with sliding block type noises, and the special one could be gold or gem studed, and when you get in the hole on the right it turns some wheel or something to reveal a treasure...just rambling soz :-)

taumel(Posted 2006) [#25]
And mantraps which are hidden on the floor. Some can be surpassed in a certain timeslot while others have to be deactivated before or work after the complementary key principle...for sure Grey's party will face big problems when trying to survive such a level... ;O)

*hiding in the shadows*

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#26]
Naw, I don't think the gaming world needs any more Inca/Egypt/Aztec/Mayan/Atlantis themed games, and specifically, the last thing the gaming world needs is a BAD Inca/Egypt/Aztec/Mayan/Atlantis themed game, which it would be if I did the graphics for it. If you're going to do that kindd of game, you need an artist, and an artist I aint.

What I am is reasonably proficient with 3dsMax and Photoshop, and completely devoid of talent. I think I know where I'm going with this now. Working on the game board as we speak. It won't be gorgeous, but I think it'll look reasonably nice.

taumel(Posted 2006) [#27]
Containers at the harbour? At least there would be seagulls then... ;O)

Do you have a version which reads external gfx-files so that one could test out his own set?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#28]
Doesn't the download version in the original post use external graphics files? They should all be in a folder called gfx. They're DDS, compressed textures. Or at least, some of them are.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#29]
Guess what though ... good looking Inca/Egypt/Aztec/Mayan/Atlantis themed games do sell. Don't forget pirates too :-) Hey you could make it sci-fi.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#30]
Sorry Off-Topic.
Guess what though ... good looking Inca/Egypt/Aztec/Mayan/Atlantis themed games do sell. Don't forget pirates too :-) Hey you could make it sci-fi.
Incorrect, good games sell well. The theme only helps.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#31]
fair enough, although I think we all know that fancy graphics and polish do help sales even if the game is so-so. If the game is good, this sort of theme will probably boost sales because people like it, even if it's been done to death, simple as that.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#32]
Guess what though ... good looking Inca/Egypt/Aztec/Mayan/Atlantis themed games do sell.

Key word there: "good". If I did Inca/Egypt/Aztec/Mayan/Atlantis it wouldn't be good. To do those well, you need to be an artist, and I'm not.

I know my limitations and I stick to things I can make less of a hash of ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#33]
fair enough, you could attempt for find an artist who's into a profit share ... but I digress, sorry.