DropWars! - 2 Player Island Hopping Combat(simple)

Community Forums/Showcase/DropWars! - 2 Player Island Hopping Combat(simple)

Matty(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi All,

I had a basic idea for a game tonight which I thought I'd put together to see how it plays. Anyway here are the fruits of my labours (all 3 hours of them):

home.swiftdsl.com.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/DropWars.zip

(200 kb - Blitz3d Source & Media - No Executable - Don't try and learn anything from this code it is an absolute mess)

Here is the object of the game:
Each player controls a 'drop ship' which can pick up infantry and 'drop' them on dry land. Infantry is spawned from 'flags' on the islands once they are 'owned' by a player. Controls are as follows:

Player 1 - Thrust On/Off - Up Arrow (toggles on or off with each press)
Player 1 - Turn Left/Right - Left/Right Arrow
Player 1 - Pick Up Mode /Drop Infantry Mode - Down Arrow

Equivalent Controls For Player 2

Thrust On/Off - W
Left/Right - A,D
Pick Up Mode/Drop Infantry Mode - S

Game is 2 player only (give a few days and I may come up with better graphics (not hard to do based on the current ones), perhaps single player ie AI controlled drop ship), and not as sloppily put together code).

There is a cap on the maximum number of soldiers - a little over 100.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#2]
New Version With an AI Player and some bug fixes and a few other minor improvements.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/DropWars_AI.zip

(200 kb)

Matty(Posted 2006) [#3]
New Download Link (2MB) with instructions in readme.txt within the zip:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/DropWars.zip

Title Screen:

Liberator(Posted 2006) [#4]
Nice title screen. That bryce? I think your one guy is pullin' a Jesus waterside there. The game kind of makes me dizzy, how exactly do I win?

Matty(Posted 2006) [#5]
Title screen in Vue Easel. To win you either have to have the most number of flags under your control at the end of the time limit or your opponent must have no flags under their control.

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#6]
How did you make the water in the title screen?

Matty(Posted 2006) [#7]
Hi blitznerd, it is very easy to put together simple scenes like this with "Vue". Here are 2 pictures showing how easy it is to add water to a scene: