HGE - Thousands of Hares Example

Community Forums/Showcase/HGE - Thousands of Hares Example

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
Just finished another tutorial conversion for HGE. This is Tutorial #7, thousands of hares.

Download ( Approx 350kb )

No particular need to report anything ( since I'm only writing the wrapper, not the engine ) but I'd be vaguely curious to know how many FPS you get with x amount of hares, and if it runs smoothly. It uses a nice delta-timing system which always seems silky smooth on my machines, but you never know.

If it doesn't run, check the log file it creates for an explanation. Again, probably not something I can fix, but it's worth knowing.

You may also note the very small executable ( ~140kb uncompressed ) and that ( for reasons I can't quite understand, it's ever-so-slightly faster than the C++ binaries ( for me, anyway. )

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#2]
its choppy here.
2000 hares = ~140 FPS

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#3]
Ever run the C++ binary from the HGE package? I'd be interested to know if it's HGE in general or if I made a mistake with the demo. It was a pretty hurried conversion of the tutorial.

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#4]
i'll try it now...

Update:-
Same there .. must be HGE .. or mabey how I have somthing setup.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#5]
nice and smooth here. Frame rate varies pretty much linear with the amount of hares, from 999 fps with 100 hares to about 250 fps with 2000.

The different blending modes had no noticable change in FPS

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#6]
MORE UPDATE:-
I just made it render 1 frame ahead instead of 0 and now it runs smooth.

wired huh... Or mabey not :)

Also no change in FPS on change of blend mode.

N(Posted 2006) [#7]
260-280FPS at 2000.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#8]
Great. This is unoptimized rendering too. For more speed, vertex buffers are available.

Thanks Diablo, it's great to know what the problem was, and that I didn't mess up my conversion.

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#9]
2000 hares ~ 67 FPS with blend 0
55 - 65 with the other blend modes

It does chop every 10th-20th of a second with a lot of hares, but not with a low number. Probably an upload to graphics card issue of sorts. This is on the laptop, see sig for specs.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
1000 = 267FPs, smooth.
2000 = 128FPS, some faster moving objects can be seen to move in mini jumps. Also some slow moving objects have been wobbling up down or side to side as they slowly rotate, very odd. Sometimes these problems seem to just disappeat, like they fix themselves.

It's clear that the 999FPS at 100 is a max display value right?

What's this made in? I don't see any vertical tearing... Blitz3D or C++? (not Max or we'd see tearing surely)

Radeon 9800XT 256MB, P$ 3.2, 1GB RAM, XP HOME SP2.

How's the affiliate sales going btw?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#11]
It's clear that the 999FPS at 100 is a max display value right?

Yep. The FPS cannot go over 999, even if you're actually rendering faster than that.

What's this made in? I don't see any vertical tearing... Blitz3D or C++? (not Max or we'd see tearing surely)

The clue was in the question. It's made with my HGE wrapper, HGE and BlitzMax. I wrapped it when I was considering working on a 2d game because - much like you - I became completely disillusioned with Max2d but didn't want to give up BMax. Ended up not making the game ( yet ) but the wrapper seemed worth releasing.

How's the affiliate sales going btw?

I haven't been keeping a track of them for a few months as I plan to remove Reflexive games from the site when I've finished the redesign and I don't want to depress myself with exact figures of what I'll be missing out on ;)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#12]
This runs real slow for me on a p4 2.6GHz Fx5200 2GB

90Fps 1000
50Fps 2000

Can you post a native BMax compile so that we might do a comparison?

PS. I stopped doing reflexive stuff over 6 months ago and I'm still getting about $100 a month from them! Guess the sales cycle is longer than some people would think.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#13]
Cripes, been ages since I've done any native Max2D stuff, but sure, I guess I could give it a bash.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#14]
Thanks for the answers, I didn't know what HGE is. So it's something external that you're calling from BlitzMax to get smooth updates, nice.

Indiepath: What Reflexive stuff do you do then? I've never seen it.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#15]
about 28 for me at 2000 of those sukas on a NVidia6100... 47 with 1000...

18 with 2000 on the GeForcefx5200... 35 with 1000...

but each ran pretty smoothly no matter how many i had... which is really the important thing... no jitterring...

--Mike

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#16]
Thanks for the answers, I didn't know what HGE is. So it's something external that you're calling from BlitzMax to get smooth updates, nice.

HGE is Haaf's Game Engine. It's a complete 3d-accelerated 2d graphics, sound and input engine with some very nice special effects, built in particle effects, etc. DirectX only currently, though it's open source so you never know.

Sorry, I thought I'd blabbered on about it too much already, but I probably should have explained again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
cool open source and you've made a max wrapper. Sounds neat, looks like a real solution.

The mini jumps I was seeing are quite regular and only occur when there's 2000, it's like they are only being updated at half the rate. Also the funny jittering in some rabbits is a caused when sometimes the rabbits get stuck at the edge (perhaps do to them scaling at just the right speed as they are bouncing off) and then after moving up and down the edge for a while, jittering away, they free themselves and are OK, it's quite funny.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#18]
Can't see any way to do a Max2D version at the moment, as there doesn't seem to be a native way to do some of the stuff HGE is doing, like blend modes and vertex colors. I'm also not sure how to disable vertex buffers in Max2D ( vertex buffers are on by default now, aren't they? ) for a fair comparison.

Anyway, the library is free and the wrapper is free ( at least unless you want support, source, improved license, etc ) so you'll be able to see for yourself how it compares.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#19]
Got about 295-300 fps on all blend modes with 2000 rabbits....running nvidia 6800 SLI...

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#20]
Gabriel,

Do you have the demo source, I'm sure I can knock something up that uses native(ish) commands.

@Grey, Like I said I stopped doing it about 6 months ago.