Protogem released!

Community Forums/Showcase/Protogem released!

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#1]

After working on it since January, Protogem is finally ready for download. You can grab a copy of the demo from Cloverleaf Games

http://cloverleafgames.com/game.php?id=1043

If you enjoy it, please consider purchasing it for the low price of $19.99. Features include:

- 100 Levels on 10 planets
- 3 Modes of play: Mission, Online, and Score mode
- Online high scores and mulitplayer
- Public server system, complete with server browser
- Professional OGG sound track

Special thanks to members of this community:
Vertex for BNet
Kanati for Mersenne Twist
Indiepath for publishing

Comments and feedback welcome!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
Cool. Just having a go now. Can I ask some things?

1) Is it Max/Plus or 3D?
2) What timing method did you use Delta or Fixed Rate Logix or something else?
3) What technical hurdles did you have to overcome?

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hi Grey

1) Max
2) Delta for things that absolutely required it, which weren't many.
3) No ogg streaming. Program load time was over 20 seconds if I loaded all four songs at once. I ended up writing OggStream.exe in Blitz+ that streamed the music. Protogem communicates with it via ogg.cfg. This tells it when to start and stop the music, adjust volume, etc. Writing the multiplayer and server was pretty challenging too

If anyone is up for some multiplayer action, I'll be hosting a server for most of the morning.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks for the answers!

Firstly, well done on a nicely put together game and I wish you success with it.

Some Feedback:

Pros:

1) Great casual music
2) Installer is good
3) Just noticed whole board glows, cool.
4) nice sound effects
5) no vertical tearing in windowed mode on the asteroids (that I can see) how did you achieve this?
6) nice backgrounds, are they from hubble/nasa or made up?
7) nice blur effect on falling shapes
8) cool comet effects

Cons:

1) Windowed mode has no minimise or close.
2) No menu button in-game, you have to press escape.
3) better to have separate volume for sound and music.
4) GUI buttons need alpha blending.
5) In game "gem" objects are a bit rough on the outline.
6) no icon for game in alt+tab task swapping screen
7) some slight jerkyness on the faster asteroids. This could be rounded errors or maybe just low FPS. How can I see the FPS?
8) Instructions/Tutorial are too lengthy imho.
9) Your webbed version doesn't work for me. I've told Indiepath. But I get a lot of igLoader problems that noone else gets, don't know why, so I wouldn't worry too much.
10) Should the tutorial really add to the stats?
11) rotating planet on the front page is cool but looks a bit pixelly on the edges, so do some of the asteroids.
12) Exanding combo text e.g. x5 looks blocky. So does the well done text
13) perhaps pause should pause the music too, in case the phone rings whatever. Actually when I say pause I menu esc bringing up the menu OR you add a pause mode for when P is pressed (better maybe)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
well I played it for 33 minutes whilst writing those notes. Got to mission 5 the rack up 200% damage one. Got about 180% damage and lost. It's interesting, quite addictive, is the comet idea original? What's good is you've used a basic gem column maching type game and added on an extra layer of planet destruction.

So If I got to mission 5, is there like 5 per planet and 20 planets or something?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
sorry to keep postig but I thought you might want to see this and might miss an edit.

1) Can't move the window around, it's stuck in the middle.
2) This is *important*. After the game exits, there is no mouse cursor and you can't click on the buy button!

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll address what I can

Pros:
5) I specified 60 for graphic's hertz param, and used 'Flip'. It should be noted this is built with BMax 1.10. That's why the window doesn't have minimize or close buttons, and other various differences.
6) NASA, public domain

Cons
7) No way to see the FPS. It should never dip under 60 unless there are heavy particles.
10) Didn't think about that, but in the end it's too small a thing to go back and alter.
4,5,11,12) The graphics are filtered and mipmapped wherever possible. I did all the art myself, which is probably why some of it doesn't look as good as it could.

*edit*
1) This is to stop the user from dragging the window and halting execution. This would invoke the auto disconnect routine in multiplayer since no packets would be received.
2) Noticed that myself. Sending new exe to Tim now

It's interesting, quite addictive, is the comet idea original? What's good is you've used a basic gem column maching type game and added on an extra layer of planet destruction.

So If I got to mission 5, is there like 5 per planet and 20 planets or something?

The comet idea is original as far as I know. I came up with it whilst soaking in the tub ;). There are 10 levels per planet, and ten planets

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
ok cool. At least you didn't come up with coment idea whilst on the loo ;-) re: BMax1.10 The Latest Blitx Max still doesn't support a minimise button, you have to do that manually. re: setting it 60Hz. Well my desktop runs at 85 so Max will try to do an update every 60 by using timing rather than vwait, this explains some of the stuttering on the faster moving asteroids. In full-screen mode there is no stuttering as it will be running at 60Hz.

btw, when you switch off windowed mode, it doesn't say "changes will applied on next restart" which would be clearer. I guessed this and had to restart to get full-screen mode. Dynamic changing of mode in game is better imho.

If you are interested, I've been developing a BlitzMax framework that handles loads of the stuff I've mentioned and more, and I'm considering selling it for a low price. Maybe for your next game?

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#9]
The manual (found from the start menu entry) explains which options require a restart. I originally tried to change the screen mode on the fly, but this isn't stable under Direct3D, only OpenGL.

If you are interested, I've been developing a BlitzMax framework that handles loads of the stuff I've mentioned and more, and I'm considering selling it for a low price. Maybe for your next game?
Sure, I'll take a look when it's ready.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
But people don't read the manual ;-) It certainly is stable enough to change mode on the fly in Max1.18 as my game framework does it fine. I'll post a demo in the showcase soon.

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#11]
Love it all and really can't fault it except for one thing that Grey Alien seems to think is good.

Whats with the planet destruction bit?
Nobody would ever implement such a wierd and wonderful 'targetting system'.

To me that aspect is unecessary in this type of game and all the talk of planets and comets just made it harder to understand.

Just my opinion.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#12]
From the manual:
You take on the role of a rookie pilot in the burgeoning ranks of the imperial army of Kizmar. Your first ambitious mission is to utterly destroy all planets that have been marked for demolition under the new galactic trades laws recently enacted by the highest order of universal government, the Knights of Kizmar. You will not be alone on your mission. The Knights have sent a fleet of cruisers equipped with the very latest technology to accompany you. These ships, known only by their code name of Protowings, can harness the power you will need to complete your mission. Since your ship is built for reconnaissance, your task will be to direct the line of fire from the assisting Protowing fleet. Once activated, the Protowing's cannons will synthetically generate a comet. These comets have the destructive power equal to hundreds of nuclear bombs, no planet can withstand an assault from this astral rain of death for long.

Fulfill your mission quota by annihilating all ten planets, then you may be granted the position you have strived for since birth, the rank of acolyte in the Knights of Kizmar.
Hope that clears up some of your questions. You're basically the bad guy, I guess. The only other puzzle game similar to this that has you destroying planets is Meteos for the DS.

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#13]
I Think what I'm really saying is that I'd just prefer a match the colours, and rack up points type scenario, rather than some wierd and wonderful reason for playing it.

As I said. Just my opinion. I guess I just like things to be straight forward.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#14]
I understand where you're coming from. My reason for doing this was an attempt to add some depth to the game. There is really no need for a story at all, I just added it to try to explain why you're in space in the first place.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#15]
Is this your first game? it's not bad for a first title. It lacks the necessary human interface quality assurance though.
I made that phrase up, but it explains what I mean.

Basically the experience of interfacing with your game is like using Windows 3.1 compared to Mac OSX. It's not a flame: I feel that you haven't really understood what makes a quality puzzler or casual title stand out and have a higher conversion ratio.

It should actually be amazingly obvious what to do without instructions for your target market, and in this respect your game fails on every level. I think the best part is it feels fairly original.

In detail, here's a few points where I feel your game stands to improve:

* the plot is just letters and words, it's meaningless and actually slightly offputting

* there is no characterisation like a friendly yet single minded alien mascot

* the menus are bizarre and unclear in design. You have filled in tickboxes instead of ticks in tickboxes.

* too many options

* The way it plays is absysmal. You require people to have a higher degree of concentration and actually click the shapes into the correct place. This is very counter-intuitive, people expect the shapes to fall into that place.

* there is no satisfying visual feedback such as the pieces teleporting into place with a particle system once you click - this means the user feels like there is no point to it.

* you should not have to click another button to target: clicking more-obviously glowing pieces to detonate them makes more sense and is more fun

There are many other problems but these are the chief problems. Frankly I am suprised Tim accepted this game as being "ready for sale".

Perhaps you will take some of my tips and use them in your next game, perhaps not - it is of no importance to me.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#16]
Thanks, I think.

No, this isn't my first game, more around the 10th. It's my first published game, though.

* The plot is only mentioned in detail in the manual, and no one reads the manual, right Grey? ;)
* I don't think that every game requires a cartoon mascot to be successful.
* Not sure what you mean here
* I thought options were a good thing
* Falling wouldn't work in this game because it would be too slow. Clicking allows you to place 10 pieces in the time it would take one to fall. You don't actually have to match the pieces. You can place them anywhere, whether they match or not.
* The pieces glow when matched together.
* If I had made it that way, people would complain about accidentally launching a comet when they meant to place a piece, all because they were a few pixels off. Remember that the space bar and third mouse button can also be used.

There are many other problems but these are the chief problems. Frankly I am suprised Tim accepted this game as being "ready for sale".
To be fair, there are games on Cloverleaf that fall far from this game in their level of presentation, but they will remain nameless.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
One Eyed Jacks general ramblings, although harsh, are basically true. My mission since Xmas Bonus has been to improve the look and feel of the games more and more so they appeal to the portal type audience who expect a lot of visual stuff from a game now (even if gameplay is lacking sadly).

Anyway I wish you luck with this. You've got to start somewhere with commericial games and this game is a really good start and lots can be learnt from it no doubt. Roll on the next game :-) I hope that doesn't sound condescending at all, it's not meant to as you've made more games than me and I'm still a n00b for sure ;-)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#18]
* Falling wouldn't work in this game because it would be too slow. Clicking allows you to place 10 pieces in the time it would take one to fall. You don't actually have to match the pieces. You can place them anywhere, whether they match or not.

To clarify: I meant that they would teleport in with a snazzy effect and fall from the mouse cursor position, not from the top, which brings me to your next reply:

* If I had made it that way, people would complain about accidentally launching a comet when they meant to place a piece, all because they were a few pixels off. developers.
The play would be altered: you'd no longer need nor desire to be close to it... plus you can always change the cursor so people can't mistake the intentions.

This is moot though as you have made the game and it is (hopefully) selling some. Perhaps enough for a new pc or something in time :)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#19]
'cmon no handbags at dawn please. If someone has managed to actually finish a game and had the balls to try and sell it then who are we to knock them?

Don't be get blinkered by the opinions of others, it's not all GFX, GUIs and particle effects that sell a game. If you think I am wrong then please tell me why games like Snood are still making millions of dollars (yeah I mean millions) for thier authors.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#20]
Thanks, Indie.

I take all comments in stride, and especially from Rob, whose words are coated with all the sugar you'd expect to find on a shard of glass.

I know that everyone is just trying to help. Keep the feedback coming :)

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#21]
Plays very well. Intuitive interface.

The background image could be darkened a bit to provide better contrast for the balls. IMHO they tend to blend into the background too much.

Graphics are too fancy for my taste, but I am a 2D purist and generally don't like emulated 2D ;c)

3) No ogg streaming.
One day, I should finish that OGG streaming DLL I was working on.

puki(Posted 2006) [#22]
Mmm, perhaps a wasted opportunity.

The screenshot shows graphics that are almost Smartie-shaped and Smartie-coloured.

My advise - make a second version where they are like Smarties then get in touch with Nestle - http://www.nestle.com/Our_Brands/Chocolate_Confectionery/Smarties/

and do a deal - they can put a link on tubes of Smarties to your 'Smartie' game - or, at least, a demo of it.

Can't hurt to ask - off you go.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#23]
Smarties are an entirely different candy in the UK than the US. http://www.candywarehouse.com/smartiestub.html

puki(Posted 2006) [#24]
Ah, I didn't know that.

However, I think this type of game - a puzzle game - is easy to get a sweet manufacture interested in. No money is involved - "Eikon" gets his link on their product - they get a game tailored to their product. He can't lose - he's already made the game - he just needs to offer them (or whoever makes sweets that look like his graphics) a game tailored to their product.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#25]
Suit yourself Tim and Eikon. I wasn't handbagging anyone, but call honesty whatever you wish.

My advice above, is worth quite a lot of money to me, and I'm giving it away freely. But this may be the last time I do so :)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#26]
I apologise in advance for this off topic post but I feel the need to put some things clear:

[somewhat off topic post]

Don't be get blinkered by the opinions of others, it's not all GFX, GUIs and particle effects that sell a game. If you think I am wrong then please tell me why games like Snood are still making millions of dollars (yeah I mean millions) for thier authors.
I do not think it is still making millions. It may have made millions in the past up till now.

Your role models aren't going to do you much good because these particular iconic games have been in the Right Place at the Right Time. It's a very hit and miss affair for something shoddy looking.

Where if you spit and polish, you are increasing your chances massively, not to mention actually getting on several portals.

Like it or not, times are moving on, and if you cannot keep up, do not make excuses that games still need to look five or ten years out of date.

[/end off topic post]

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#27]
I was serious when I said I knew you were trying to help. Didn't mean to make you think that your comments were anything but appreciated.

@Kuron: Let me know when your DLL is ready, I am very interested.
@Puki: My next game is slated to be a sausage tree puzzler, stay tuned...

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#28]

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#29]
Suit yourself Tim and Eikon. I wasn't handbagging anyone, but call honesty whatever you wish.
Rob, I think Tim was just being facetious.

puki(Posted 2006) [#30]
Ah, you saw my sausage tree thread before some mod deleted it.

No doubt that mod is sleeping with the lights on from now on.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#31]
The one eyed fella should be listened to. Good luck with your game man :o) I'll try it out tomorrow.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#32]
I hope you found my input useful and not too harsh. I spent quite a long time testing and laying it all out in an easy way for you to take in because you did ask for feedback, and I like to be constructive, it's how I'd want others to treat me.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#33]
This might be a good addition to your windowed mode:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1595

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#34]
I've got that code in mine but not the maximise as I don't want them going larger than normal.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#35]
Adding minimize caused problems on my machine. Namely that the game would often be frozen when restored. If it happens on my hardware, that worries me enough not to include it. Trust that I've only sacrificed usability for stability where absolutely necessary.

Like most games, it was designed to be played in full screen mode. The only reason it defaults to windowed is so that port access can be granted if the user is running a firewall.

* sigh *
My gallery submission is already nearing the 3.0 range. I refuse to believe that this looks better than this. A lot of haters out there for some reason...

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#36]
Don't give a dime about the gallery ratings.

For most people everything in 3D is better than 2D.
Even if you post pre-alpha stuff, you will get high marks.
It just has to look cool.

Gameplay, Innovation, Menu, Music, SfX and all the rest of a game does not count here.

Eikon, could you test an app on your pc for me?
I'm interested if this one also freezes.
First time I hear about that.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#37]
Namely that the game would often be frozen when restored
That's pretty weird. What my game framework does is detect the minimise and pauses the game, and then when focus returns unpauses it. This stops the game engine/logic carrying on and possibly going haywire.

Maybe for your next game it's worth upgrading to BMax 1.18?

I've boosted your pic rating. Now you can boost mine ;-) http://www.blitzbasic.com/gallery/view_pic.php?id=1301&gallery=&page=2

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#38]
Oh, you can boost mine too or even lower it: http://www.blitzbasic.com/gallery/view_pic.php?id=5&gallery=&page=39

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#39]
Yea, you're right, Grisu. I shouldn't give it a second thought. I'll test your app if you want, but as Grey mentioned, I was using 1.10. Things could have changed since then. The main reason I stick with 1.10 is because the version of BNet that I like is broken with later versions. I'll probably check out 1.18 for my next project, and try to fix whatever issues arise in the BNet module.

Thanks for the vote, Grey. I would boost yours, but I've already voted (a 4 iirc).

* edit *
@Grisu: Done. I gave it a 5 :)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#40]
Ok, Pushed you all +5 :)

And Eikon, you've got mail with a DL Link inside.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#41]
voted. Thanks.