Full Metal Conflict Alpha Test

Community Forums/Showcase/Full Metal Conflict Alpha Test

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#1]
Molebox caused issues that are beyond our control. We can't release without molebox because the media is original and (c) ad, he doesn't want it let out unprotected so unfortunately no demo for now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
OK, I can't find the link!

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#3]
Sorry, edited post to contain the link.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
..this is not working on my machine...just open one window after Ogre initialization window and then turn off, and thats it...

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well it's worked fine for the people over at the ogre forums where ad posted, works fine for me, works fine for ad.

What's your specs? I recall you have problems running someone elses demos cos you were on win98s(Spit)

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#6]
hmm, the media is boxed up, so it might not run in win9x. Don't know if thats the problem?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#7]
Naughty Alien, try the Racer in the "Cygnus Car Engine" , that is also moleboxed. The link works now. If that fails too then it's a molebox problem.

[edit]

A problem has been found with the uploaded archive. We will fix it ASAP.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#8]
Doesn't work for me, running XP.

then it's a molebox problem.
Dunno what you are trying to molebox, but your media in the "packs" directory is NOT moleboxed, it is just zipped.

OJay(Posted 2006) [#9]
a hell o' a lot of dll's you got there dude!

oh yeah: and it doesn't start over all..."MSVCP71.dll is missing..." or something :o

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#10]
Here's the missing dlls

http://dreamspace.banishedstudios.com/MissingDLLS.rar

Please try it again and let us know if that fixes it.

kenshin(Posted 2006) [#11]
Yeah, not working here both with or without the dll's. The Ogre config window appears. Click ok and it quits with no error. Tried OGL and DX both windowed and full screen. No go. The test that comes with Aurora works fine.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#12]
Yeah Ken, it's a molebox issue.

kenshin(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ok, no prob.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#14]
Not sure if I have done something wrong but both DX9 and OGL rendering results in a blank window displayed briefly.
AMD 2700, 9800Pro, WinXP SP2, DX9c.
<edit> Just seen the previous post so same result.

N(Posted 2006) [#15]
Where are people getting the link? Some magic dance you have to do for it to appear?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#16]
I don't see any link either. I think you have to be naked?

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#17]
It doesn't work for the majority of people cos molebox we re removed it. no point propregating a non working demo.

Just to be clear, molebox is a file packer, not a part of aurora, so anyone distrubating apps/demos won't run into this problem unless they use molebox.

kenshin(Posted 2006) [#18]
Antony's taken it down. Guess he must be in repair mode.

[EDIT] where's the damn 'delete post' button ;)

N(Posted 2006) [#19]
I don't see any link either. I think you have to be naked?

I'm already naked, didn't work.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#20]
So will Molebox prevent the release of a finished product?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#21]
I'm the one doing the repair. I've had molebox issues with both the racer and this demo. We're currently looking at what's causing the actual problem. There will be a new demo soon no doubt :)

So will Molebox prevent the release of a finished product?

The day I let something like molebox prevent a release, the day I give up eating. :P

Dunno what you are trying to molebox, but your media in the "packs" directory is NOT moleboxed, it is just zipped.

There's more in the media folder than what you could see :P

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#22]
There's more in the media folder than what you could see
Gotcha

I have never had any issues with Molebox, but I do know if you are wrapping your exe, but using a DLL to load stuff, Molebox naturally will not load things called by that DLL if you try and protect them.

Any media you want to protect has to be called/loaded by the exe you are wrapping with molebox.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#23]
Look it's quite simple. First there wasn't a link, then there was, now there isn't. Soon there maybe another.

ckob(Posted 2006) [#24]
I was able to download it earlier before the link went down and I can see some resources that molebox left out and also molebox didnt pack the ogre dll's correctly so I had to use my own. The demo was pretty impressive a little hard to control but I enjoyed the physics and the graphics looked very crisp.

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#25]
Arggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! I want to play to :-(

:) Keep it up..

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#26]
Thanks guys, Kuron, Ckob, you've helped us on our path :)

ckob(Posted 2006) [#27]
Ok apparently the dll's were there i just didnt unzip them all, works directly from zip sorry guys

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#28]
is it back up yet... anxiously awaiting...

:)

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#29]
we're .this close to fixing it. hold tight, it's gonna be a bumpy landing.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#30]
no problemo... don't rush any more than you guys are already doing... i can imagine what's going on over there... better to tkae it easy and get it right...

--Mike

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#31]
rush, cos u have no fuel, no wings and no pilot.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#32]

anyway, we're closing to solving the problem.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#33]
I sold my copy of molebox cos it sucks.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#34]
What was the point in that eh? Am I the culprit behind your missing eye or something?

I wrote what you see here except for maybe 5 or 6 lines, and I can't remember throwing any insults at you "One Eyed Jack". What reason do you have for trolling this effort?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#35]
My Xmas Bonus wouldn't molebox and go in a security wrapper apparently, bummer.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#36]
Ok we tracked the problem down to the fact one of our dlls was compiled in vc2005 instead of 2003 like the rest.
I've just managed to get the 2005 dll compiling in vc2003 so we can now merge them back into one dll now.

I will post a new demo as soon as ad gets back and can molebox it.

No way to be sure molebox still isn't causing a problem though, but I'm hopeful.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#37]
Why don't you use some custom encryption on the media instead of Molebox?

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#38]
We're lazy bastards? Well I know I am.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#39]
Convenience?

If you have a large project and you're swapping graphics files in and out for testing, it's a pain to have to recompile a new pak file each time you do so. Or go through and change all your load commands in your codebase with the possibility of missing one.

Much easier at the end to just bundle it all up comprehensively, which is what Molebox does well.

N(Posted 2006) [#40]
I use custom Pak files, but I sure as hell don't encrypt them or rebuild them each time I create a new asset. That'd just be stupid when anyone can extract the data if they're persistant enough (or if they read my format documentation).

So yes, the point of it is convenience. Using Molebox provides a simple and, in most cases, effective solution to the problem of packaging executables and media. Laziness could probably be correlated with convenience, but I wouldn't say it's a cause and effect situation. Molebox works in most cases and I'd say this is just a freak incident.

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#41]
ogre already supports zips just have to figure out encryption for them. BTW on my old PC which didn't work. The one my wife now uses, I simply ran windows update.

Worked perfectly after that, Don't know which combination of the 14 updates fixed it but it still runs well on my athlon 1200 Geforce3 so long as its DX9. GL is about half the speed.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#42]
I was just saying ...

Anyway, it worked for me ... really slow in OpenGL and when I switched to DX it rebooted my machine ...

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#43]
What was the point in that eh? Am I the culprit behind your missing eye or something?

I wrote what you see here except for maybe 5 or 6 lines, and I can't remember throwing any insults at you "One Eyed Jack". What reason do you have for trolling this effort?
I guess we don't see eye to my one eye. Just kidding.

Sorry I gave you that impression, I'm just being a bit challenging. Curious to see what the demo is like thats all.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#44]

Don't know which combination of the 14 updates fixed it

Typical Microsoft! :P

One Eyed Jack:

Ahh, see, I read between the lines- My Appologies too, I'm sure we will get it working again soon :)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#45]
Good luck with this guys - I know how frustrating these sort of problems can be - the "easy" stuff turns into the "hard" stuff ! Looking forwards to seeing the demo !

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#46]
how's it going up there... anything yet?

--Mike

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#47]
yeah same here, awaiting demo ...

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#48]
Well atm there's a problem in that we tracked the problem down to vc2005 dlls not working on old machines, so we switched to one dll compiled in 2003, which worked, but now has messed up the sceneloader.

So I'm currently improving the blitz-side sceneloader(Which uses MaxXML so it's as good as the C++ side one if not better since it's in blitz)
So won't be for a few hours yet, but I reackon by the time ads up(five or so hours I guess) we'll have something new to show.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#49]
Problem solved. Me in a very smart and well thought move was using the old version of the sceneloader library which still had some bugs, just updated to the latest one and it runs perfectly again, now all from one vc2003 dll.

Soon as ad gets up to molebox it the new demo will be put up. Well I'll try moleboxing it in the mean time but I've never used it before.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#50]
hey, you guys do know that the thread you posted on the GarageGames site still contains a link to a downloadable, don't you...

is that the old one or the 'fixed' one...

--Mike

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#51]
lol, any you need to ask? Spread that duff code!

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#52]
Evak posted it on Garage games? Anyway that's the old version if he did.

Anyway, fixed version coming soon to a hd near you.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#53]
i dunno who posted it, but it's up there on the what's new blogs...

anyway... the old version worked fine here... on two different machines... no problems unzipping or running...

tested both OpenGl and DX renderer... both good...

i had the latest version of dx9c (feb2006) installed... do you think that might be what's causing your problems on some machines?

also... would it be ok for me to post the link here so others can try it out?

--Mike

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#54]
is there any demo of the engine available to play with, or trial version, just to feel how things going with it??

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#55]
Yeah red it worked on alot of machines just some didn't like 2005 dll for some reason. No longer using that though, so hopefully the next one will work for all machines.

No naughty, ckob is writing some demos for public consumption however(He's already wrote 3) so he'll be releasing them soon I think. And we'll be releasing demos of our game.

If by demo you mean time limited trial of the engine then no chance I'm afraid. It's not a module so can only be presented in source form. (Modules suck)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#56]
would it be ok for me to post the link here so others can try it out?

... at their own risk :)

--Mike

ckob(Posted 2006) [#57]
I want to write atleast 2 more examples before I release them.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#58]
..Ant, in case I purchase engine, what I'll receive then?? Bunch of DLL's, BMAX libs, or?? Can you be more specific about this issue?

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#59]
No it wouldn't Red, I'm just doing the new one now. No need.

Na, You will recieve docs/pdfs/dlls/lua.module/several bmax sources.

Usage couldn't be simplier, just copy bmx/dlls into your project folder and add,

"Include "Aurora.bmx"" to the top of your program. it it's self includes all the other files for you.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#60]
..so, you saying that complete development can be done in BMAX without using Lua script?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#61]
no problemo... that's why i asked before posting it...

i figured you should have some say in this...

--Mike

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#62]
If you so wish, yes. I believe you'd need to modify a few things to remove links to the LUA mod, am I right Ant? but yes, If you didn't need LUA you dont have to use it.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#63]
Correct, Lua is entirely optional.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#64]
..hmm..sounds good...I would like to see demos..

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#65]
Ant, what settings did you chose for the demo? :-)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#66]
more stuff... i tried it (the old demo) on a win2k machine with a radeon9200 and the latest dx9c...

i first got an error msg about a missing MSVCP80.dll... then it continued to the OGRE video settings pop up...

immediately after selecting the video mode, i got a momentary console window, then the app appeared to exit without a trace...

hope this helps some in tracking down the problem...

--Mike

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#67]
We found this one yesterday, but it didn't solve the vanishing app problem.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#68]
It no longer requires vc8 runtimes.

C, what settings are you refering to?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#69]
same here Cyg... hmmmm, interesting...

it runs on 2 xp machines, but won't run on the win2k machine...

all have the same dx9c version... i've tracked down what required runtimes it asks for...

i dunno what next... guess we're gonna have to wait till the fixed one shows up...

--Mike

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#70]
here's what the engine currently contains.

Ogre3D Dagon RC2
Crazy Eddie's GUI Lib for GUI stuff
Newton
JV_ODE support if you bought the ODE wrapper from Vip3r
Ofusion Scene loader Library
LUA

Ant wrote:
Networking Lib
Avi to texture thingy
and made all the wrapping mostly nice and intuitive (B3D) like to use.

I think thats it, he really should stick a web page listing the features supported.