8/16 bit nostalgia

Community Forums/Showcase/8/16 bit nostalgia

puki(Posted 2006) [#1]
Woof, woof.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#2]
Oh boy, look at how blocky it is!

Yah? I can make a blockier remake than yours!!!
Graphics 80,60,4,1
;etc.
Hah, this is a great example of the good ol` days, where graphics didn't matter!
(Even though I seem to really be picky about it looking like garbage) :P

Hmm... Looks like I finally gave in to my bitterness and wrote that...
...Too late now.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#3]
Wow - i know i accidentally posted in the wrong forum, but how did puki annihalate my post? Uncommon largeness.

BLOK-TASTIK

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
this is weird. What happended?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#5]
He has magical powers - I said he was evil. Run... run I tells ya......

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
I am the talking sausage - I see squirrels

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#7]
but I never got my answer about the most common mode used on the Amstrad... Did you read my post Nomen?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yeah i did - puki somehow recorded over it.

Amstrad 3 modes:
mode 2 - 80 character width monochrome for hi res typey applications

mode 1 - half the horiz res, square pixels i think, roughly same res as most speccy games with 4 colours

mode 0 - half the horiz res of mode 1 - blok tastic - but 16 colours

All modes paletted

Most games were mode 0 or mode 1. Any pixel any colour - no colouring by block ala speccy.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#9]
Thanks. So mode 0 and 1 were most popular. I wonder if mode 0 which allowed 16 colours limited them in certain squares. I'll check Wiki:

Wiki confirms my C64 knowledge:

"Bitmap modes: 320×200 (2 colors in each 8×8 block), 160×200 (3 colors plus background in each 4×8 block)"

Spec res was less:

"Graphics: 256×192 pixels, 15 colours (two simultaneous colours - "attributes" - per 8×8 pixels, causing attribute clash)"

Although of course it looked finer than c64 because most C64 games were in 160x200 mode for more colours.

lol found this on Wiki about Amstrad CPC:

"CPC 472 – Tape deck, 72K RAM (although the extra 8K of RAM cannot be used); produced in small numbers for the Spanish market to avoid a legal ruling requiring that all computers with 64 KB or less RAM must be localized to the Spanish language, including the keyboard and screen messages. "

Also you are correct about the graphics modes (of course ;-)

"Mode 0: 160×200 pixels with 16 colors (4 bpp)
Mode 1: 320×200 pixels with 4 colors (2 bpp)
Mode 2: 640×200 pixels with 2 colors (1 bpp)"

Sounds like it was brilliant as it could truely have one of 16 colours for each pixel! Impressive. This was better than the C64 and Spec. Having said that, the Cybernoid and Turrican screenshots I saw didn't look as good as the C64 ones, perhaps because the colours are too "primary" instead of those weird C64 browns and pinks etc. Also the CPC didn't have hardware scrolling of sprites which sounds dodgy.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#10]
LOL @ the CPC 472!

The Amstrad was as good as any other 8 bit - some of the games had naff gfx because they were direct spectrum ports with the same sprites.

You taught me something about the C64 - I didnt know there were any block rules on the sprite colours? So it had built in H/W sprites?

One interesting tidbit on the 'weird' C64 colours you mention- apparently the colours were controlled by a set of resistors in the display hardware - they just used the values available and came up with those colours! Read that on this site I'm sure.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#11]
yeah you read it on my thread about C64 colour emulation in Blitz and someone posted a cool article about it.

Also, yeah, block rules suck! The sprites could only be 4 colurs too as well iirc and one of those was transparent, so really only 3! Most of the time it was one or two colours and one or two greys for shading. Anyway, as the C64 had hardware scrolling, you just made all the games out of 8x8 squares and uses sprites if you needed colours to cross the 8x8 boundaries.

I read about the spectrum ports and how CPC owners thought the Spec "poluted" their computer lol.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#12]
"I read about the spectrum ports and how CPC owners thought the Spec "poluted" their computer lol. "

I would never say that - always a fan of Sir Clive!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#13]
I started with a 48K, still got in in this room behind me (but it's broke) so I'm a fan too. Just got a C64 when the spec broke.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#14]
Yeah but the C64 and Amstrad were superior machines. My C64 fave was Timetunnel. Absolute classic.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#15]
I had/played too many C64 games to pick a fave but stuff like Turrican is up there.

puki(Posted 2006) [#16]
Why has everyone taken over my thread with gibberish?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#17]
Mashed potatoes