zSprite ready for release

Community Forums/Showcase/zSprite ready for release

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have finally finished the release version of my Bmax sprite module. Its an OpenGL only module and should be crossplatform compatible. (haven't been able to verify on Mac, but its using pure openGL calls and regular Bmax commands, so it should be fine)

You will be able to find complete docs, demos and so on at my website in my signature, or via this link:

http://www.zac-interactive.dk/tools/zsprite/zsprite.htm

I will be working on a couple of tools to increase the usability and lower the time of development using the module. These include, but are not limited to, converter for my bitmap font edit application to easily convert fonts to the bitmap font format of the module and a polygon collision frame editor to make it easier to add those.

Its priced at $25 and with that comes free updates for the lifetime of the product, which is at least one year from purchase. Forum which can be used to communicate with other users and share experiences and tips. Email support which is checked daily.

Questions are very welcome. Please email me at the address in my profile.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#2]
Looks good and I'm intrigued. But for the main code examples, can you post executable demos for all of them also besides the source codes?

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#3]
Any chance of setting up a Share-IT or similar account? I'd like to purchase this lib but can't use Paypal from my country.

Barney

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#4]
I guess I could create exe's of the examples, but there are currently 52 of them, so it might be a lot to download. They are very basic and each shows how to use only one and in a few cases two functions of the module. I am thinking that it might be better if I made a few more demos which each showed several features being used.

I have no experience with using Share-IT, but I will look into it. May I ask which country you are from, because I was under the impression that you should be able to use Paypal regardless of country as long as you have a major creditcard like Visa, MasterCard and the like.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#5]
I just took a closer look at this and now i'm really intrigued.....hmm.......

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hey Zawran! I get "Can't find interface for module 'zac.zsprite'". Any clues?

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yes I believe that I have found the problem and updated module is on its way via email. It turned out, that I had installed the v1.18 on my development computer, but not done a full syncmods. Once I did that, and recompiled the module, it worked right away on a fresh install with synched modules on a seperate computer. Thanks for the feedback and the purchase, I hope that you will be happy with your puchase. Just email me if other questions arise. I check my email 2-3 times a day, so you usually won't have to wait long for a response.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#8]
Im very stoked on your module, thanks again and it works FINE. Lots of great examples too, it will be fun to learn this! 40+ examples make it easy to find out how everything works!

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#9]
Yeah, just got it and tested it out. Works real great...and now I have no excuse to be lazy anymore...lol....!

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hi Zywran,

Yes. I've tried it many times during past few years and I cannot use Paypal from Croatia so I'll be much obliged if you can setup another way of purchasing zSprite. It'll also allow more people to buy it so I think it'll be a good move anyway...

Barney

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#11]
Quick question, is the library multi-platform or strict windows only?

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#12]
I have not used any windows api specific code, its all pure openGL and regular Bmax commands. So it should be crossplatform safe, I don't have the equiptment to test it on other platforms since I only have computers with windows available at the moment.

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#13]
I have just added a few more example codes to the package, so now there are 55 different small examples of how to use the functionalities of the module. I will be adding more as I get them coded. I will be updating the website with more runable demos during the following week.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#14]
thanks dude, gonna check it out now..

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#15]
I have just added independent layer scissor clipping. It will be in the next update. Here is a link to a running example of what it can do. In the example is 5 layers with sprites and each layer has its own clipping area.

http://zac-interactive.dk/tools/zsprite/zSprite-LayerScissorClipExample.zip

I have a couple of other things that I am testing at the moment. But I have included the bmx example source so that you can see how its used.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#16]
Thanks Zawran!

Robb(Posted 2006) [#17]
This module is looking really cool :)
If this is running on OpenGL, are there any plans to add shader support?
Being able to do effects like heat haze with particle shaders would be a really nice feature :)

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#18]
Shader support would be cool indeed. I have never worked with shaders, but once I get some time available, I am willing to look into what is needed and see if its something I am able to understand well enough to code it :)

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#19]
zawran: I have a VERY dumb question -> what are the advantages of your lib compared to what Max2D is doing?? What are the added functionnalities? Why should I use your lib rather than Max2D?

Thanks for the info!

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#20]
This module is using single surface layers, that is all sprites on same layer use same texture.
If you draw several images onto the same texture, then you can have different looking sprites on the same layer using the same texture. A lot of automated effects like, sprites following other sprites, orbiting, scaling, rotation, rumble, animation and so on. All of which are fire and forget, so you only set it once, then the system handles the rest. Automated collision response that calls preset functions automatically either once or continuesly.

Most of what this module does, could possibly be made using max2D given a lot of time and using the underlying types, setting up your own control and information code. With this module you get about 150 functions (almost three times the total number of commands in max2D alone) which are easy to use and should help the user with getting things up and running really fast.

The full documentation is available to anyone who wants to take a peek at what this module can do for you. Please visit this webpage to learn more:

http://www.zac-interactive.dk/tools/zsprite/zspritedocs.html

On the main page for it is a lot of samples and a couple of demos helping people to evaluate if this is something they can use.

http://www.zac-interactive.dk/tools/zsprite/zsprite.htm

I am available to questions both in this thread and via email, which can be found in my profile.

Snader(Posted 2006) [#21]
I think I will be buying this one...

Snader(Posted 2006) [#22]
And I just did!

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#23]
And I am still waiting for another way to purchase it. :-(

Barney

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#24]
Layer clipping is done and updates have been mailed out. Work have started on the collision frame editor and I have begun writing up the plans for an addon particle module for easy creation and handling of particle effects, which will be a free upgrade for those who already have zSprite.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#25]
Don't think i got it yet...!

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#26]
@Neuro, I have just resent it to the email in your profile.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#27]
thanks, got it now.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#28]
Has anyone been able to successfully run this lib with the 1.20 update of Bmax? I keep on getting memory except errors....

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#29]
[edit] I have not been able to make any of the examples crash with memory violation errors. Please let me know at least one of the examples which does this and check if its loading any media and that it can access it.