Inca Quest Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Inca Quest Released

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2006) [#1]

Rock Solid Games is proud to present the release of Inca Quest, developed in BlitzMax and published by iWin. It's available for download and purchase at Yahoo Games.

Uncle(Posted 2006) [#2]
Graphics looks really nice. I wish I could do nice splash screens like that. By the way have you every had a knock on the door from Rare about your logo, they look quite similar?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#3]
Congratulations on your game Michael!

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well done man. I'll check this out when i get back in :o)

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#5]
check it out. 6th from top on "top downloadable games" Pretty sweet.

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
Yeh - Large-it up.

degac(Posted 2006) [#7]
good! good! good! well done!!!! congrats!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
this game is so polished it nearly blinds me, played it until the demo expired (seems quite quick, only 30 mins?)

excellent example of a Max game.

The logo only looks similar because it has the letter R, I really don't think that is going to be a problem!

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#9]
I guess we're expecting high standards from halloween bonus then :)

taumel(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hi,

as i said a very nice Puzzle Bobble clone. Great graphics and also very good sounds/voices. There are only some gameplay/level design issues and that i can't play at a higher resolution. Anyway this one is really worth the money.

Do you get paid for including the yahoobar or is this a must for publishing games on yahoo? I personally dislike such things for software i paid money for.

Regards,

taumel

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#11]
This one has definately raised the bar. Nice work, I wanna start with my next game right now!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
me too, oh wait I already have started it! Oh and it's not Halloween Bonus ;-)

Look Indiepath, he's got it on Yahoo!!

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#13]
Would it be ok if we got it from IWin.com, ArcadeTown.com, SLingo.com, GameZebo.com, or Boxerjam.com? Or does it have to be specifically at Yahoo (rather...what would benefit you most)?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#14]
It definitely has very nicely polished graphics, good job! I'm not sure how much original gameplay there is, but hey, it's probably original to a lot of people.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2006) [#15]
Neuro - any site is fine.

Grey - and mobile.

Taumel - I don't know, never tried the Yahoo version. That does suck I agree.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#16]
@Grey World Cup Bonus?

IPete2.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#17]
How about bonus bonus?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#18]
Not original but VERY polished - I would never have thought it was a Blitz game. All the best with it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#19]
Michael: well done on the mobile version, that should be very cool. How are you converting it? or is someone recoding it for you?

AngelDaniel: Yeah there is a game just like this on Sky (satellite box) with a honeycomb. Also it's like that funny looking game Snood. But Inca has powerups and different block types to enhance the gameplay.

IPete2: yeah, good one. I just need premier league sponsorship now :-)

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#20]
This is without a doubt the best example of what can be achieved in BMax to date. You`ve done a really great job with the game and are very talented. Can you give people who are thinking of staring a game in BMax a little insight in what it was like to complete a game with this relatively new language? Were there any problems with the language or was it pretty much feature complete for a 2D game?

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#21]
heh, Quicksilva, I've asked some questions already in this thread: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=58237

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#22]
alright, alright... lets check this out... see what all the excitement is all about :)

--Mike

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2006) [#23]
Grey:
A much smaller version of the game is being created in Java for the mobile version. It really isn't a problem - even if we could somehow translate BlitzMax code to Java it would take forever to cut the game down to mobile phone size anyway. The mob version will be VERY basic.

Quicksilver:
As for problems with BlitzMax, well you might find like to know that when I started Inca it was early beta, nearly a year before release, so I had plenty of problems. It didn't have EachIn or Include and SetColor took a TColor (module doesn't exist anymore). There are a few gems in the Inca source. When the beta broke array allocation, and I wanted to do this:

Levels = New Int[ 10 ]

It would give a parser error... so for a while there was a much more offensive version of this there as a workaround:

Local StupidBlitzMax[ 10 ]
Levels = StupidBlitzMax

The real problems that someone starting today would go through are:

1) Sound - need an FMod or equiv driver
2) Mouse lag

Fixing those wasn't hard. The only problem that I think remains is the video memory usage, it's not efficient - exactly one 1024x1024 texture per 640x480, and there are a lot of full screen images. I would like to see that improved with some kind of a packing algorithm, you could at least halve the memory usage of those screens.

Plus, there are still crashes on some computers. And no software mode of course. But I think in this day and age, the compatability isn't too bad (no software would have been terrible a few years ago).

The hard part of all of this will be creating something good - if you can do that the rest will follow. You can sort the kinks out for the PC release and your publisher will pay for any porting (mobile, xbox 360 etc). BlitzMax isn't a bad choice to create something good - if you can do it and are determined to, it won't hold you back. If you can't nothing will help you enough.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#24]
I'm determined, and I know QuickSilva is too. The thing that is worrying me are the mouselag and sound issues at the moment, and futher down the line, Mac compatibility.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2006) [#25]
Then don't be worried. BlitzMax is more than good enough - whether to use another language over it comes down to basically personal choice.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#26]
Not original but VERY polished - I would never have thought it was a Blitz game.

Me neither....although I'm not surprised cause BMax is more than just capable of doing something of this level. It just that Michael himself is an awesome designer....like the all time greatest : Juno Nemisis (remix)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#27]
Yeah it could have been done in popcap with C++ or even some kind of game maker. Ultimately a great game is the sum of its developers.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#28]
I will use Max for Speed (of coding) over other languages and also for the help these forums provide :-) Just was worried about a few techincal issues hampering a professional game.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#29]
I showed this game to my mom(yah, she contributes to the statistics of mom gammers) last night and she was hooked on it from the first minute till the end of the trial period :D. Now i'm gonna have to buy it for her cause she's a buggin me....

skn3(Posted 2006) [#30]
Awsome! well done! I can see this being very successfull for you!

Amon(Posted 2006) [#31]
I Just played it and it's Busta Move with Inca graphics. So what exactly is new in this game?

Don't get me wrong the graphics are nice but that's it. I see people saying that this has raised the bar for current blitzmax games and I fail to see how. There's a thousand different variations of this game all with different graphics so I ask, what was the point.

Oh well, maybe I'm not feeling the buzz everybody else is.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2006) [#32]
It's certainly not original. There are a thousand bust a move games out there - but they all suck. I wrote it so there'd be a version for me to play. The only other version I could tolerate was Snood - but that was turn based, I wanted something real time (you could cheat in Snood too).

Yan(Posted 2006) [#33]
I think you're missing the point Amon. The impressive thing about Inca Quest, for me at least, is the level of polish. You shouldn't underestimate just how hard it is to get that right. The game just oozes class.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#34]
I Just played it and it's Busta Move with Inca graphics. So what exactly is new in this game?

Don't get me wrong the graphics are nice but that's it. I see people saying that this has raised the bar for current blitzmax games and I fail to see how. There's a thousand different variations of this game all with different graphics so I ask, what was the point.

Oh well, maybe I'm not feeling the buzz everybody else is.

This hasn't raised the bar for blitzmax games, it's raised the bar for every game in the same genre, worldwide. It's an amazing production by just two people...

That impresses the hell out of me.

I don't think you have a single clue how much work it takes to make this whole game, at this level of quality.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#35]
{...}

Spot-Nothing(Posted 2006) [#36]
i'm in awe: so damn beautiful. this will be a commercial runner for sure.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#37]
I don't think you have a single clue how much work it takes to make this whole game, at this level of quality.

You think wrong.

This hasn't raised the bar for blitzmax games, it's raised the bar for every game in the same genre, worldwide.

Now your talking crap but don't let me stop you.

Michael Reitcrackerstein has made IMHO a nice remake of a done to death genre. But that's it. The gameplay is the same as any other version and it will probably only appeal to people who have never played this type of game before.

When I saw the screenshots of the game the first thing that popped in to my head was the game BustaMove. When I played this game the first thing I thought was "This is a BustaMove clone". The appeal for Inca Quest after thinking this vanished within seconds. Why? Because I've played this game before a thousand times.

I'm not sorry fellas. I just don't see what the big deal is.

Good luck with the sales Michael. :)

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#38]
Oh whetever man

This game oozes style and brilliance, a fine example of a polished game.

I wish you all the luck with sales Michael, dont worry about the naysayers.

Maybe everyone should just take out what they have made, and show all ?

Michael has done what not many people can do, finish a game, and do it in style !

Panno(Posted 2006) [#39]
well works smooth and looks cool Congrats Michael

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#40]
Well said Deux. I think we can all safely ignore Amon what with his track record.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#41]
Well he is entitled to his own opinions and he does have some valid points. This particular genre (as well as others) have been re-made over and over. So the actual game play itself is nothing new and as for those who played this genre before, its nothing exciting for them. The only thing that really distinguish this particular game is :

- its written in BMAX
- its very polished
- has a different theme than the other in the same genre
- look very professional
- its actually completed!

So for some its very appealing (i thought it was fun cause i like the genre) but for others, it may be boring and nothing spectacular. But wether or not we agree, its a different topic.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#42]
OK, What's actually wrong with what I'm saying?

Is this not a BustaMove clone?

Has this type of game not been made 1000 over with different graphics by different developers?

Has this type of game not been done to death?

I'm not taking anything away from Michael. This is a top polished BustaMove remake. But that's all it is in essence, a Bustamove remake.

Now you can call it the game of the century but to me, and no doubt the majority of other casual gamers, this is a game I have played before. Granted the graphics are different, cool looking and the game is well polished but it's been done before.

I think we can all safely ignore Amon what with his track record.

Oh my track record? What about yours?

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#43]
Like Amon at first I thought from the screenshots it was just "a Puzzle Bobble clone" but I downloaded the demo to check it out and was pleasantly surprised. I've played Bust-a-move 4 to death on the Dreamcast and a version of it on my phone quite recently but it still managed to bring something a little fresh to it that kept me playing it.

There's the different styles of combos (especially with the rebound thing where the balls head upwards after you match them to combo with other sets, which tbh, I didn't completely understand on my first go), the whole 'swap' thing which isn't in Bust-a-move (as far as 4 goes anyway), and the different powered bubbles. I don't think it actually is a done to death genre if you actually look around. Maybe you could call it a 'match-three' game to put it in that pigeon hole but nah, the gameplay isn't quite that static. Plus the little bonus Parachute-esque game adds something different, with all of this within the first 15 minutes of playing the game. The level of polish and presentation is a bonus yeh, but it's sort of a requirement for it to get on to the Yahoo! rostrum. You can't just dismiss the main game as tosh because on the surface it is a remake of another game...

But then again, it's only Amon saying that, so I guess there's no trouble here... ;)

skn3(Posted 2006) [#44]
yeah i could safely say, this is more playable then the original. which in itself says something. It has the same concept, but there is something more appealing to it. The combo and power ups are a fresh change too. So I cant see what there is to complain about. It will do well, because it looks and plays excellently. Who really asks "is this game original" when buying ? I dont, i just want it to be fun and look good.. so this one passes with flying colors!

Wings(Posted 2006) [#45]
This is the best blitz pluss game 2006 !

:)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#46]
Blitz *Max* ;-) Mine's the best Blitz *Plus* :-D (actually I don't really mean that considering we have stuff like Platypus made in it, but I hope that it's up there at least)

Jimbob(Posted 2006) [#47]
Just you wait...

GfK(Posted 2006) [#48]
I was going to download this and have a go... until I read the four existing reviews. Have to say its got a couple of stinkers.

The length of the demo seems to be a really common gripe. You should address this as it seems to be putting off 75% of people who download it (well, 75% of the people who bothered to write a review, at least).

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#49]
I was going to download this and have a go... until I read the four existing reviews. Have to say its got a couple of stinkers.

Why not download it and make up your own mind ?

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#50]
I think his point is, that if you read a bad review, your less likely to try something out. So, addressing that issue, would cancel out the negative reviews.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#51]
I think his point is, that if you read a bad review, your less likely to try something out. So, addressing that issue, would cancel out the negative reviews.
What he said.

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#52]
understood - but try it anyway :)

Why0Why(Posted 2006) [#53]
I downloaded it and was hoping to write a good review to help. However, once I downloaded and installed, I had to go and do something else. When I came back, the game wouldn't run. Apparently, the 30 minute timer starts from when you install the game? That is the most asinine thing I have ever seen. That definitely needs to be fixed. So, I didn't even get a chance to play.

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#54]
I never had these problems at all.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#55]
Re: people complaining about how long the demo is:

Then download it from www.iwin.com instead. Each portal will wrap the exe with their own timing scheme.

None of these demo timeout issues are are anything to do with Michael - They are enforced by the portals, and each portal does things a little differently.

I for one am inspired to do even better, isn't that what the showcase is all about - not some forum for losers to bitch in? :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#56]
I downloaded from iWin specifically hoping it would have wrapped it differently to Yahoo (and to avoid that stupid Yahoo bar it apparently wants to install).

It was also a 30 min limit. It went very quickly. As it does. :o)

Good until then though.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#57]
Most of these type of games are only 30 minutes....kinda good and kinda bad....but....apparently it works.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#58]
I was disappointed by the 30 min limit too, but I wondered if this was because maybe the entire game was short? However, I do agree with One Eyed Jack that the game inspires me to do even better too!

big10p(Posted 2006) [#59]
I don't see a problem with a 30min limit, personally. Isn't this long enough to find out if you like the game enough to buy it, or not? I thought the whole point was to leave people wanting more, enough to make them buy the game.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#60]
Great job! The production values are just incredible! It might be a clone ... but it's extremely well done ... and there are people who haven't played Bust A Move you know ;)

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#61]
I agree with Jeremy. Personally I`m not a fan of these types of game but I can see it for what it is, an extremely well done remake of an already popular game. And a great showcase for BMax and the games development team.

Jason.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2006) [#62]
The length of the demo seems to be a really common gripe. You should address this as it seems to be putting off 75% of people who download it (well, 75% of the people who bothered to write a review, at least).

(and others)

If I wanted to fix this I couldn't - it's determined by the portals we publish on. They wrap it and set the demo timeout. But just because people are complaining about it doesn't mean it should be fixed - obviously people like the game if they go to the trouble of complaining, and conversion rate may well be higher. The portals test things like this because it makes a huge difference to their bottom lines, so I'm confident in their decision.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#63]
Very very nice game!! And very addictive to play! I couldn't stop ;-)
Congratulation, this is impressive...

big10p(Posted 2006) [#64]
obviously people like the game if they go to the trouble of complaining, and conversion rate may well be higher. The portals test things like this because it makes a huge difference to their bottom lines, so I'm confident in their decision.
Yep. That's the point I was basically trying to get across in my last post. :)

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#65]
Michael,

Well there's bad news and good news! :)

The bad news is my PC needed re formatting this week! Doh!

The Good news is... your game now works on my pc - I have the same drivers, the same operating system the same everything... so I have no idea why it didn't work last week. But now it runs with no problems at all.

The game is beautiful - almost a piece of art - well done. It is really heartening to see what can be done with BMax, some decent content and a good programmer. Hope sales are going well.

GFK - forget the reviews - I never agreed with Barry Norman either - go find out for yourself - I hope you'll see that it was worth it.

As for it being a 'clone' - well my take on that is it is only a clone if you have played the game which is like it. From my point of view it is a wonderful and original puzzler. I don't play them (puzzle games) normally and I only said to Grey tonight if you asked me to name 3 that I have played this year I would have said Xmas Bonus and Easter Bonus...no more. Now I am glad to add to that list, this game - it is a fabulous piece of work -

...and without doubt the best BlitzMax game I am aware of yet.

Best regards,

IPete2.

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#66]
Pretty good, although I dont personally like puzzle games.