I Level Demo - Jetpack Dude

Community Forums/Showcase/I Level Demo - Jetpack Dude

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://www.monkeybot.co.uk/

go there if you wish to play 1 level of the fantastic "Jetpack Dude" game
its great,none of yer newfangled 3d trickery here just pure 2d 80's style gaming.
I would appreciate any comments and particularly if it crashes or something like that!
comments@...

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#2]
a screenie or two wouldn't go a miss here - so we can see what we're downloading.

IPete2.

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#3]
tis done

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
uh, those pictures don't really say much. What am I looking at?

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#5]
your looking at jetpack dude,why not download it and see what its about its only 5mb

:-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
I'm not trying to be difficult but MOST people want to look at screenshtos before downloading. It's like window shopping.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#7]
It's got potential. I think the physics need a bit of a tweak. I found it pretty hard and so didn't get very far. Also, I have a personal dislike of photo-quality graphics in 2D games - it looks really cheap, IMO. That may just be me, though. :)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#8]
1. Add proper keyboard support.
=You can't play with x z m and k.... that's the worst setup ever!
2. Convert ALL you gfx to PNG.
3. Delete all files named "Thumbs.db"

^^^ some basics of proper / clean coding.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#9]
Oh yeah, the controls: I'm guessing you're a lefty? They are a bit weird for us 'normal' people. :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#10]
heh, those controls are BBC Chuckie Egg style of something, about 25 years out of date :-)

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#11]
oh yeah greyalien,you got it,chuckie rules

it is a bit 80's
maybe its a mid life crisis?
and i know the graphics are crap,i did them and im not very good at that sort of thing....as you can tell,but was unable to secure anyone to do it for me.
if there is anyone who would like to chat about collaborating on a project,or even doing graphics for JPD,email me.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
I never said the graphics are crap, just the screenshots weren't clear enough to make me want to download.

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#13]
but the graphics are crap!

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#14]
This is also a bit like H.E.R.O. :)

You say you think the graphics are crap, maybe it is an idea to use simpler 2D graphics instead of the "realistic" look. You could create blocky "retro" graphics, and use only a few colors. (For background as well as characters.)

Of course blocky graphics can look bad but they are easier to make and modify than 3D hi-res graphics. For example, when I want to create "simple" graphics I create a character of size 8*8 or 16*16 and then scale it to 32*32 or 64*64. For animations I would then just use a few frames.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#15]
@Floppy: Be my hero and make a classic remake on that with cool sounds... :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#16]
I think there IS a remake already ...

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#17]
hmmm hero.i dont remember that one,ahhh thanks grisu i remember it now, i think that was the very game that inspired me when i was 14,i discovered girls though so they took presidence and codeing took a back seat

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#18]
Is a non-finished remake.
http://www.elitepigs.de/held_shots.html

I'm thinking of doing such stuff with bmx.
But I'm not really an artist at all and I lack of time these days... :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#19]
Crashed as soon I tried to play it!

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#20]
did it get past the title screen?

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#21]
game keeps crashing at irregular intervals.

first collision I had with an object, resulted in a crash too.
So the game is unplayable.

What did you code this in ? I got a MS VC++ runtime Error ?

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#22]
hmmm weird.anyone else getting similar results?
its coded in blitz+
i have had 1 report of a crash occuring when the titlescreen anim loops,but generally it runs ok with no crashes