Zombie Game

Community Forums/Showcase/Zombie Game

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here's a small game about zombies I wrote for last week's competition on codersworkshop: Zombie Garden (1.9 Mb)

Use the arrow keys and space bar to shoot the zombies and collect new ammo. Gameplay could still be improved upon... creating the shadow effects took most of the time! :)

As can be seen in the Graphics folder it uses multiple copies of the tileset and player graphics that are increasingly darker. In addition it has moving shadows, using the light that is nearest to the character to decide the angle and length and then drawing the shadow using a number of circles.

The game loads levels from text files in the Levels directory, so new ones can also be added.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#2]
Super Cool, finally something to get me off of my Moon Bandits addiction ;c)

big10p(Posted 2006) [#3]
heh, pretty neat. I just wish I could shoot faster. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
pretty cool. Yeah it needs powerups :) the controls are Wack! very Resident Evil. Although at least you can walk backwards AND fire. Hey how about a knife for when you run out of ammo.

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#5]
Fun, but too easy! :)

I can survive indefinitely on level 1.

I realize 0.1 is an early version, but here are some suggestions anyways:

Consider having the zombies on later levels take less time to kill you. On the hardest levels, a single touch could kill you. Alternately, they might pull you towards them while they're touching you instead of pushing you away. Maybe it takes even the tough zombies some time to pull your arm close enough to bite!

Levels should end at some point. A vehicle could appear after a specified amount of time, and touching it could complete the level.

Maybe it's my monitor, but I can see everything perfectly fine in the dark areas.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#6]
There are too many of them...

they're coming closer....

and closer....

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

P.S.: Mouse aiming would be nice! :)

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#7]
Oops. I played level 4 for a while longer and the game is indeed more difficult. I retract my earlier statement.

I can't believe some of the statements being made here. I don't want mouse aiming or a faster gun, and the controls are part of the game! If the author implemented 8-direction movement, and/or mouse aiming, and/or faster reloading... this would be a totally different game!

I think the fundamental gameplay is great the way it is. :)

My only real complaint is that you're not led through the levels with any kind of reward system. If the objective is to remain the same (survive for as long as possible) it should be necessary to survive level N for X seconds in order to unlock level N+1.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
I vote for reward system too. Btw it IS dark in th dark areas on my screen.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#9]
Entertaining - foppy I still have an old demo of your 'foppy racer' - that formula one thing on my harddrive somewhere and play it from time to time

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#10]
its like gauntlet with a shotgun + confusing controls :p ;)
- good stuff.