Ace of Bases 1.0

Community Forums/Showcase/Ace of Bases 1.0

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#1]
ACE OF BASES
Version 1.0
Matthew A McFarland

This is my first ever completed game, and I did it in 24 hours! The game could probably use a lot of additions, but I really wanted to see what I could do in 24 hours. It was written in BlitzMAX and I had a blast making it! It's a cross between Missile Command and a Vertical SHmUP!! Please Download this and let me know what you think of it!!

HOW TO PLAY
Protect the white BASES at all costs!
Click the Left Mouse Button to launch a Rocket, if you click it again it'll explode and destroy any enemies and their weapons!
Hold down the Right mouse Button to use your machine gun! It is much faster than the rocket but it is much weaker. It can be used to knock enemies out of the sky!!

HAVE FUN!!!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD - 2.23 MB (2,347,849 bytes)

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#2]
Pretty neat for just a 24 hour project!

sswift(Posted 2006) [#3]
I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
interesting. It's very smooth so I guess you didn't use any timing coed and it runs at different speeds on different PCs with different refresh rates?

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#5]
Grey, yep, I didnt use any timing in this project. Is it possibile that bmax does good timing stuff? I dunno but I have a hopeful, wishful theory it does, but maybe I'm wrong! lol!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
well it's fine on my PC, but could go funny on others, doesn't matter for a freebie though, just is important for commericial games.

here's a recent thread about it:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57862

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#7]
I was hoping the flip function did some special uber interpolating.. I dunno... I noticed in your other thread there were special flip functions.. I've used delta timing but its jerky and stuttery.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#8]
I think everyone's too young here to get my joke. :-)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
*sniff*

RE: Delta timing... Are any of my games (Asteroids, GEOM, cbubble) jerky? Nope? they use Delta Timing and no vSync.

ArcadEd(Posted 2006) [#10]
Good times. I really think you could be on to something with this game. :)

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#11]
Heh, I'm even lucky to even come up with content media for a game in 24 hours, let alone finish a whole game project in that time, and my game might not be any better, of course, my project combines that Intellivision hit, "Astrosmash" with that legendary Tetris, and turns it into TumBlocks. However, yours may take the cake on your idea. Question is, are you gonna build a version around an X360 controller that most of us may have hooked into our PCs?

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#12]
Downloading now...

sswift, yeah I got your joke :)

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#13]
sswift.. no, this is where I came up with the idea.. thought it would be catchy!! LOL
here's my proof: All that she wants.. is another baby.. she's gone tomorrow boy all that she wants.. is another baby. whoa.

Thanks Arcaded, and indiepath I dont know how you manage to do delta timing right but heh maybe I'll try it again on another game.
Iron Bob, xbox controller? Sure I'll add joystick support..

sswift(Posted 2006) [#14]
sswift.. no, this is where I came up with the idea.. thought it would be catchy!! LOL

Ah! Well... I suppose I just assumed nobody would ever INTENTIONALLY name their game after Ace of Base. :-)

Well, since you probably are the only one who's done that, I guess all the Ace of Bases are belong to you!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#15]
MAtt: When you say 24 hours, I mean how strict we you did you start at a certain time one day and stop the enxt day at the same time, or did you log 24 solid hours of coding?

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#16]
I logged the coding in my head so there could be a descrepency, it was actually ess than 24 hours... I would specifically log it in my head each time I started.. but when I took breaks etc I didnt take them into account either.

I started Sunday from 6pm to 1am (7 hours)
Monday from 5pm to 1am (8 hours)
Tuesday from 5pm to 9:00pm ( 4 hours)

I would specifically remind myself constantly what time I started and stopped, so this seems very accurate to me! :) It appears less than 23 though which is what I guessed. So I think next time I'm going to blog my 24 hour entry. I'm just having a hard time coming up with a game to design atm.

LOL sswift.. uhmm yeah.. I'm a lil weird ;)

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#17]
Question is, are you gonna build a version around an X360 controller that most of us may have hooked into our PCs?

This is a joke, right?

Nice game Mr McFarland. Shiny and smooth. Aren't you the one working on that nice-looking shmup with bugs? How's that coming along (assuming it's you)?

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#18]
Well, so far I had to put at least 3 - 4 hours a day to get those tile blocks and all those intro screens to look their best. You can see them in this thread, of course, TumBlocks won't easily rival yours, but it will be a ground-to-space shooter...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=58054

Of course, I still have development to do, but it will give or take be based on your idea, only with tiles that rotate around, and lands on the planet you're defending.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#19]
I *AM* working on the game with bugs.. you can see my WIP thread here:
http://www.shmup-dev.com/index.php?topic=380.0
Scroll to the bottom of that post and you can also watch a GUI video.. problem is I've learned SOO much since I worked on this (the bug game started when I just bvought bmax, go figure) so I really need to completely re-write the game :S
Also Iron Bob, we love shooters over at www.shmup-dev.com would be nice to see ya there. I've read over your thread a little bit earlier today.. Seems interesting enough!

Also.. I AM adding gamepad support!! But I'm having problems!! I cant get my head around a function that I direly am trying to figure out. here's my request for help thread: http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=58066

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#20]
* Increased Machine Gun FireRate
* Changed levels a bit
* Added GamePad Support
* Added Source Code ( http://www.shmup-dev.com/AOB/AoB_src.zip )

Redownload at the same link as provided on the first post in this topic or: http://www.shmup-dev.com/AOB/AoB.zip