Granada Racer

Community Forums/Showcase/Granada Racer

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi friends. Granada Racer is near finished, and i want to show you some videos. It is a full commercial racing game developed in Blitz3D + ODE + Raknet.

Videos:
www.granadaracer.com/grdivx1.avi
www.granadaracer.com/grdivx2.avi

Web (Only Welcome Screen):
www.granadaracer.com

Features:
- On Line Racing on a REAL CITY (Granada in Spain)
- Racing-RPG (4 classes, with attributes)
- Up to 8 players at the same time
- online Traffic
- More than 10 tracks
- 3 Modes of play

Lot of fun :)

Hope you like it.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#2]
Seet Jesus!
Woah. There goes my title! :P Congrats! It look's fantastic. (I don't see how on earth you've amanged to get some of that stuff working!) Bugger. This one makes my engine look a lot less shiny :(

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#3]
Some manufacturers might be a bit miffed at you using their vehicles, unless of course you have licensed them.

Looks good though. 8-)

When can we expect a demo version?

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#4]
I have bought or own-made every vehicle in the game, so they are all licensed.

Thanks for your comments, very very much appreciated. Lot of work under the game.

The demo will be available soon, one month before the final release. I could release a demo now, but i don't have time to make a good one, yet.

P.D: The screens on the web are pre-rendered. (but very very similar to in-game screens)

And the game is running at 120FPS on 800x600 screens with 8 cars.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#5]
KuRiX,

I'm afraid thats not what he meant.

Peugeot may not be happy about you using a model of the Peugeot, even though you made it, it's still their car.

I was going to post about that. You'll need to get peugeot to allow you to use the models.

It does look great though!

And the game is running at 120FPS on 800x600 screens with 8 cars.

Dude, thats depressing me! :P

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#6]
I dont doubt the models are yours or paid for, but what about the car manufacturers.
BMW for instance are rather picky about people using stuff that is thiers. Right down to stopping companies using the word "Mini" in their names.

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#7]
But then... when i go to an online shop, and buy some models of cars that says: "license for commercial games", and i pay for that...

can i use them?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#8]
Not necesarily..
I'm sorry to worry you, but that means the people who made the models allows you to use that art asset in a comercial title, and not that BMW/Renault/Peugeot allow you that use.

You will still need to get the manufacturers to agree you can use them.

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#9]
Mmm, that's a problem indeed. perhaps i should change some aspects of the car and call them:

Renoult, BMZ, and Peugeat... xDD (just kidding)

And what does it mean "Royalty Free"?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#10]
RENO, PERJO, VMW. :P

It may be worth you sending a few emails. A few manufacturers may actually say yes. What's the worse that could happen? (Just.. don't release it and then ask after :P)

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#11]
Mmm, thanks, guys, i will check it.

But then, the shops selling the models, are doing something illegal too?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#12]
"Royalty Free" means the creator of the artwork won't take a cut of your profit.

SoggyP(Posted 2006) [#13]
Hello.

Hmmm, interesting. Do people whose houses are shown in films and TV shows get a fee paid to them? What about when a car is shown passing by in a TV show?

In the same way that celebrities give up their right to their image when they start whoring themselves to newspapers, why doesn't the same apply to manufactured goods?

(By the way, I'm not expecting a serious debate here because of the 'That's just the way it is' argument, but I just like to wonder out loud sometimes)

Goodbye.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#14]
That looks pretty good Kurix .. what' physics engine are you using under the hood?

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#15]
It is ODE, own wrapper and lot of tweaking...

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#16]

and lot of tweaking...

Don't I know that feeling!!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#17]
Don't we all! :P

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#18]
i'd have to agree about the licensing thing here with the cars... some of the manufacturers would definitely have a problem when they saw your use of not only their copyrighted designs, names, emblems, and logos... but might also object to seeing their trademarks portrayed in a scenes that might be construed as their endorsements of using their vehicles in a reckless manner...

of course, if you get their permission (in writing) then you are free to use em... but in all likelyhood they're gonna want to see just how their vehicles are being portrayed in the game... of that i am sure (well, 88% sure)...

maybe you can approach them from an advertisement point of view... ya know, offer to include some of their ads in the scenery... and a link to their web site... maybe that'll help...

anyway... getting back to the dev side of things... yes, the entire game looks stunning, great job...

btw, which version of FRAPS did you use for the capture, the demo or a licensed version... i ask because my results with the demo version have been choppy and the quality not so hot...

again, this looks great... good luck with it... you're sure to sell quite a few licenses...

--Mike

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#19]
It is the demo version of FRAPS, captured at full screen and then resized and compressed to divx. I think that the bad quality of the video looks like a good filter for the game xDDD

Thanks for all the comments about the licensing. I have talked with one of the model's shop, and they have told me that i will have no problems with their models :S.

Anyway, i will talk to the manufacturers.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#20]
Best bet is to do so. The shop can't give you permission to use BMW's IP ect.

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#21]
I worked on a couple of hotwheels games, and that was a nightmare for licencing where the car manufacturers go. Cost a lot of money, and were talking toy cars based on real cars. In the end we mostly used made up hotwheels designs with a couple of commercial vehicles. Was really cool that hotwheels made a couple of our designs into actual cars that came with the game.

Fortunately the games sold well over 400,000 copies each within the first two years :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#22]
Oh how sweet it would be to make a game like that!

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#23]
400,000 copies !!! Awesome!

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#24]
Great work so far Kuri :)

I wish you the best of luck with it!

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#25]
I think you can make look a likes ... just as long as you don't use the name it doesn't matter. Tons of games do that ... they have cars which are knockoffs but they just don't use the name of the actual car.

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#26]
yup, I remember playing some games where the cars looked the same but were called something totally different. Remove all badges from the cars too.

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#27]
I saw a coka-cola advert in their too. They'd probably kick up a fuss about that.

Looks great though

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#28]
I didn't need all the billboards of coca-cola to buy their product. Just have to look at the many empties on my desk.

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#29]
Hehe, we are managing to get sponsors, so we make some money before releasing the game!

Some of them are: Coca-cola, burguer king, local banks, ...

Today i have finished the analog control, so you can play with real analog joysticks. Tomorrow i will add force feedback support :D

Now, time to sleep...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#30]
hey, when you wake up... how did you go about securing the sponsorship from the coca-cola company and burger king...

how, how, HOWWWW!!!!

:)

--Mike

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#31]
You gonna stick a cola sign on the side of your sub Red?! ;)

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#32]
Hehe. Well, the maps are my real city. You can see every shop, every tree, every place of Granada (in Spain). So here, every local company is very very interested.

We just talk to the local director of some companies, and they are going to sponsor all the publicity of the game.

I think that although the game doesn't have last generation graphics, it has a full real city to race! and don't forget it is a racing-rpg, you get experience and levels for winning other people.

So we hope we will sell some licenses...

:D

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#33]
That sounds cool.

how did you go about securing the sponsorship from the coca-cola company and burger king...

Fixed it for you...

(sorry for the hijack)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#34]
Kurix, that's amazing, really. I hope there's a demo soon

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#35]
hahahahahaaaaaaaa... all i can say is...

da da dada daaaa... i'm luvin' it!

Kurix... don't worry about the graphics too much, it looks verrrrry good from the vid clips, that's not gonna be a problem at all...

as for the sponsorship thing... thanks for the info... i gotta get some real cash flow going, and on the side i had whipped up this lil tourist sub adventure thing... and i'd luv to have a few coke, jeans, cell phones, ads splattered all over the waiting areas, maybe a few vending machines, whatever it takes :)

--Mike

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#36]
Today i have been in a small conference about Granada Racer and Game Developing here in Granada. Someone recorded one little video (i am the guy with in red near the screen).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAFu0rkPSqI

Cheers!

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#37]
I actually wonder if its legal to make a model of a sports car
and sell that model? - would this not also require a license?
Assuming the model represents something that is instantly
recognisable as belonging to a specific company..for
example, if i modeled the "Bitmap bros" logo, could i really
expect to sell it? - and even if selling the model was legal,
would i not have to clearly state that the design is a direct
copy of an existing company logo and that before it can be
used -permission should be sought.

anyway regardless of law - i dont think models that
represent copyrighted material - should be sold without
express permission from the copyright owners..if you
make a model like this, it should be public domain, and
should still state ownership..

bleh bleh bleh...anyway, anyway looks cool - ignore me ;)

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#38]
I guess I am the only one who clicked on this link expecting a game where you race Ford Granadas around?

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#39]
hehe, i don't have that model in my game :D

The game is ambiented in the real city of Granada, is Spain.

SopiSoft(Posted 2006) [#40]
Looks very good!