Helicopter

Community Forums/Showcase/Helicopter

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#1]
OK Guys... I'm on my way...

Get in... No pushing...

Stop fighting in the back!

You'll all just going to have to get along... it's a tight squeeze!

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#2]
LOL! Looks awesome. Nice commentary there! hehehehe

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#3]
AAAARRRGGGHHH!! They have no faces! Very disturbing.

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#4]
"You idiots! These are not them! You've captured their stunt doubles!"

Looking good, Rob.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#5]
how you convince all those ai guys to get into that chopper... cool... i'd like to see this in action...

--Mike

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#6]
Steve... You're right... I must do some more texture work at some point!

The only reason I'm showing this is because it was actually a very complex bit of code to get the guys to run to pick a side of the helicopter, get to the bases of the ramp, run up them, get inside, and then stand in a specifc place based on how many people are already in the helicopter... Oh and not to try to get in if there are already 6 people in there. And once they're in they parent themselves to the helicopter too...

And I haven't done them getting out yet!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#7]
Only kidding - yep the games coming along nicely.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#8]
choplifter?

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#9]
"You idiots! These are not them! You've captured their stunt doubles!"

Spaceballs!

And I haven't done them getting out yet!

That'll be hell for the most part I'd assume, either way, lookin great so far, the humans remind me of Katamari Damacy though for the very cubic bodies, though I assume you're not really supposed to get the camera in that close in the finished product?

Btw, any plans to add some dust-blowing particle effects with the chopper near ground? That would look nice.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#10]
There must be at least one woman in there... :)

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#11]
heh -niCe :]
- i like the style..

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#12]
This looks great, I also like the landscape detail in the background, and the blue glass.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#13]
If it plays as well as it looks it might then who gives a @#!* about the clone army ;)

A wee circular shadow underneath each guy would make it look even better but I guess they are unwanted overheads with the toweling system you're using?

Nice work, any close to shipping this?

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#14]
Genexi2: Blowy particle thingy... yeah, sounds good, probably do that!

Grisu: Not yet... But no reason why not!

Foppy: Everyone keeps going on about the blue grass! I suppose I best inject more green into it then!

Stevie G: I think it plays brilliantly... but then I would!

I'll probably add shadows to the guys, just not got round to it yet... I will mean at least 3 lines of code to do it though which is possibly asking a bit much...

Line 1 in the Prision init function: p\shadow = CreateShadow(p\xsize,p\zsize)
Line 2 in the Update Prisioner function: updateShadow(p\shadow,p\xsize,p\zsize)
And finally Line 3 in the Kill Prisioner Function: FreeEntity p\shadow

How far from shipping this... Still quite a way to go before I'm even close to a single level demo, there's so much in the way of mechanics to do it's not funny... especially if I add boats... and a dirty big carrier...

Zenith(Posted 2006) [#15]
You make me angry Rob, I want to play it now, just like I wanted to play it months ago! :)

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#16]
Everyone keeps going on about the blue grass!
No, I said the blue GLASS :D

But, now that you mention it... ;)

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#17]
"tappituntumalla" like we said when I was in the army... meaning if you'd get woody the man in front of you would feel it... :)

Cool looking game - hardly fotorealistic textures, but it looks good just because of that. Great job!

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#18]
Zenith - Patience young grasshopper.

Foppy - So you did... Um...

Mustang - If I could do photo reaslistic textures I doubt I'd be working for a company who make toilet cleaner.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#19]
Great idea, make the textures and stuff modable!
And give us a demo, buggy or not?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#20]
@Rob: I like your style!

Who wants photorealistic textures anyways... ;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#21]
Photo realism wouldn't work with this kind of game.

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#22]
Thanks for the comments.

This really isn't about style, it's about abilty. If I could model to a higher standard and texture to a higher standard I would. I would love to have this look photo realistic with amazing graphics. As it happens, I don't have the ability to do so, therefore it looks how it does!

However, the main aim of the game was to make it play brilliantly and be fun.

I did recently have a play at doing "proper" shadows using a swiftesque system of my own design, however, quite frankly it didn't look very good anyway, although it was cool having an animated shadow... so I'm going to fudge that effect with an animated texture instead!

I've just added 2 new objects into the editor now, start position and base, this means that you have somewhere to start from and a base to drop the prisoners off in. Still got to make them get out of the helicopter though!

Zenith(Posted 2006) [#23]
I looks great to me Rob, I'm more interested in gameplay.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#24]
No bappage?

Heheh, looks great Rob. Keep up the good work :)