Moon Bandits

Community Forums/Showcase/Moon Bandits

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have finished my game called "Moon Bandits". It was created in Blitz 3D, using only the 2D commands though.

Download: moonbandits.zip (4767 Kb)

It's Space Invaders with extra's. Use left/right for movement, space for shooting, up/down for moving humans, and End or Enter for the super bomb. When all humans get killed you are taken into outer space, so this you have to avoid. Thanks to Damien Sturdy (Cygnus) for letting me use his music and to Joe Lesko (agent4125) for playtesting and feedback!

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#2]
looks fab!

IPete2.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#3]
Indeed, this looks great. My kind of game!

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#4]
Extremely well-presented!!!

No bugs, no faults, great fun!

I especially like the mix of retro-style looks but with such awesome sound and the detail to effects!

Space Invaders with extra's

Understatement of the year! :D

Zenith(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yeah, this is great, congratulations Foppy. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but I did. :)

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#6]
This is easily one of my top 2 favorite freeware games ever. It takes a vastly overdone genre and makes it feel new again. There are so many small surprises and personal touches that I find something new every time I play.

Congrats, Foppy!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#7]
I agree with Zenith and Agent4125-

This is not the sort of game I would normally enjoy, however, with all the little add-ins, it was GREAT fun. Good work!

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#8]
Brilliant fun!!!

Only small problem is that I could not understand a word the "voice" was saying other than "mothership" LOL

Very playable. Well done.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#9]
Oh, by the way, Were you using Fruityloops for the drumloop? :P

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thanks guys!

Only small problem is that I could not understand a word the "voice" was saying other than "mothership" LOL
Hehehe... "mothership approaching" and "wave completed"... I recorded my own (Dutch) voice and then to make matters worse I applied an effect to it ;).

Oh, by the way, Were you using Fruityloops for the drumloop?
Yes! :)

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#11]
good work :]

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
hey, nicely done. Smooth. I finally figured out the voice after hearing a couple of times and applying logic to what it was saying!

So where did the sound effects originally come from. I notice you've said Maniacs of Noise made them. Were they from a C64 game or something?

Cyg: So did you make the chords and Foppy stuck the drum loop on then?

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#13]
Awww... I was enjoying that, too. :o(

I hit Enter and launched a 'lil red thing' up into the space invaders. It exploded, and a fairly plain red block fell slowly from the remains. Looked like a power-up of some sort, so I positioned myself to collect it.

And when it hit me, I got a Memory Access Violation. :o(

[edit] Bummer - just got another one, when a shot invader fell from the sky onto me. I'm going to try reinstalling it. [/edit]

[edit2] D'oh! Happened even after I reunzipped it. <sob!> [/edit2]

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#14]

Cyg: So did you make the chords and Foppy stuck the drum loop on then?

Nah, I just let Foppy use my Supernova track- invincible. It's on my website.

It's actually a theme for my Supernova game, but since its not being worked on anymore, i figured it'd be okay.

It fits nicely by the way Foppy :)

I just recognised the drums from the standard fruityloops setup :)

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#15]
LineOf7s, sadly I couldn't yet find the cause of those Memory Access Violations...

I did upload a new version though: in the previous version I didn't clean up the temporary media files created by the data packer. I don't see a direct relation between this and the error but perhaps you could try the new version (same link as in first post).

Upon unzipping there should be three files:

DATA.PAK
moonbandits.exe
Readme.txt

After playing the following should also have appeared:

\Graphics
\Music
\Sounds
hi_score.dat

and the directories should be empty.

So where did the sound effects originally come from. I notice you've said Maniacs of Noise made them. Were they from a C64 game or something?
The original versions of the sound effects are from a CD by Maniacs of Noise, "Original Video Game Sound Effects", that I bought years ago.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#16]
Damn ... get a MAV as soon as enemy bullet hits me too!! All files accounted for and directories are empty as you say.

P4, 3.2ghz, GFX440mx, WinXP Pro ( sp2 )

big10p(Posted 2006) [#17]
Hmmm, it works fine here - and very enjoyable it is, too. Combining game elements from Space Invaders and Defender works well. Well done, Foppy. :)

As for the MAV, could this be caused by the weird bug with ImagesCollide, that someone reported ages ago? I'm not aware that one ever got fixed. I never encountered it myself, though.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#18]
Great game!

Gimme more firepower! :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#19]
:`o(

Out of the box, all the mentioned directories are as mentioned...

... but the MAV taunts me still.

There's only one thing for it: I cannot ever die. Or pick up a powerup.

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#20]
Thanks!

could this be caused by the weird bug with ImagesCollide, that someone reported ages ago?
I did once have a vague problem in a game where the collisions would sometimes lead to MAVs but couldn't figure out why...

LineOf7s and Stevie G, can I ask for a favour? I would appreciate it if you could try running the below source code version of the game in debug mode: maybe it will then give a more descriptive error message (assuming you have Blitz 3D and that the MAV pops up in debug mode as well). Often with MAVs it is the case that media are missing, but since the MAVs do not show up on everybody's computer, this seems less likely... perhaps it is the collision code then, or something else.

(edit: link now removed) Moon Bandits source code version

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#21]
What a cunning way to blag the source code! ;o) j/k

I'm at work now, but I'll try to sneak some programmery into my day and let you know asap.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#22]
Oh yeah I totally didn't get what to do with the little men and why I'd want to pick them up and put them down. Maybe I didn't play it for long enough? Got to wave 3.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#23]
You pick up the little men (apparently) to "move them to a safer place", since them dying/getting taken is bad.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#24]
@Foppy, tried the source version, worked fine in debug mode but still get a mav with debug off ... very strange :( With debug off the MAV occurs when a red bullet hits me.

Stevie

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#25]
Yeah - same here. Works perfectly in debug, but the MAV comes a-callin' in release mode.

Didn't pay any attention to what bullet hit me - I'll check that now...

...nope, it's any kind of bullet and/or any kind of powerup. Basically if anything touches my ship apart from the people I pick up. Which is odd, because it doesn't seem to use any extra media to do anything when that happens - no explosions or anything... (?)

Btw, nice title music Cyg - very well put together. :o) I'm gonna hafta go listen to some more of it now.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#26]
A bit of a hijack- Does anyone think there's too much power in the bass when the low grunge sound comes in? :S

Interesting that I'm getting no MAV with my GF6800, which was the card that hilighted the ImagesCollide problem in the first place....

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#27]
Thanks for testing the source code!

Basically if anything touches my ship apart from the people I pick up. Which is odd, because it doesn't seem to use any extra media to do anything when that happens - no explosions or anything...
Indeed... no new images are being drawn and no new sound effects are being played. So I think I can rule out missing data as a cause.

It seems like the MAV moments happen when ImagesCollide is used (and is successful) so what I could try when I get home is to replace all the ImagesCollide calls with a bounding box collision check.

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#28]
I have now uploaded a version in which all calls to ImagesCollide() have been replaced by a simple bounding box check. The link is the same as the old one:

Moon Bandits without ImagesCollide()

Hopefully his helps against the MAV!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#29]
Sorry Foppy. I really need to appologise before I post this.

Here goes!!!!

Moon Bandits?

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#30]
Apologies accepted ;) 8)

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#31]
just call it 'arse bandits' and be done with it!

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#32]
Works now Foppy .. nice!!

Foppy(Posted 2006) [#33]
Hey thanks, good news...

The fact that replacing just the calls to ImagesCollide makes the problem go away suggests that it is not a bug in the rest of my code.

So apparently it is a problem with ImagesCollide that shows up only on certain configurations, and only in certain circumstances... I can't figure out those circumstances though. ;)

just call it 'arse bandits' and be done with it!
Sadly that name was already used by many websites! :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#34]
Yep, works a treat here too. Nice to finally be able to play this full-screen. :o)

Given I plan to make 2D games in 3D with Blitz3D (just like this), the whole "shows up only on certain configurations, and only in certain circumstances" ImagesCollide thing is - to say the least - a bit of a worry.