Ball Bearing test

Community Forums/Showcase/Ball Bearing test

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hey, I'm posting a small demo of the game I've been working on. I'm curious to know if people like the control, speed and camera etc. Initially the speed was such that it induced vomiting and nausea, which I took to be bad :P

There is still a lot of coding to do, but the basic gameplay is in. The controls are just up and down, which is pretty much as basic as you can get I guess :)

www.eakiah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ballbearing.zip

And yeah I know some of the object collisions haven't been added, but I want to tweak the game control before I start to get the obsticles in and working.

Regards Rob

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#2]
Blimey that was quick...

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer.
Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#3]
sorry about geocities - £25 a month for BT and they give you friggin' geocities as a webhost :)

big10p(Posted 2006) [#4]
Damn, this sounds intriguing. Can we have some screenies while we wait for a download? :)

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#5]
Gawd, don't want anyone to get too impatient, cos you'll be probably be very disappointed :)

And an image has been posted in the gallery recently, but here's a couple anyway.

Regards Rob

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
Ah, yes. I was looking at this the other day. Very colourful! Now I want to play it even more. :)

How big's the file? I could probably host it if it's not too big. I only have crappy ISP webspace too, but mine seems more reliable than yours. :P

Unless someone with decent hosting can do the deal? :)

Bouncer(Posted 2006) [#7]
This looks nice... I can host it too if you want...
mail me at bouncer@... if you want it hosted...

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#8]
Looks stellar!
Will download and play the moment that I have my monitor back... (At the moment, the keyboard is on my lap because I'm stuck with a massive CRT thing...).

I can't wait to try this thing out!

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#9]
Sorry about the useless hosting. Chris offered to host it for a while, so I've ammended the original post.

Big Thanks big10p

Regards Rob

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#10]
Too fast.

I can't tell what I'm supposed to hit or avoid.

All the pretty graphics in the screen shots above just become a colourful blur.

Seems like it relies to much on luck rather than skill.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#11]
What is all that about then? The ball just bounced around, rather like a super bouncy bit of rubber than a ball bearing. It was all too fast and I has no control over anything, well that's what it seemed like.

What I am doing wrong?

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#12]
So its basically too fast. I'll slow it down 20%

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#13]
This is really impressive in a lot of ways - very polished.

Speed isn't your problem it's the horizontal scrolling. Constantly shifting left and right is tiring and makes it hard to focus. I would do two things to fix this.

1) Implement a simple 'push' scroll where the horizontal movement only kicks in when the bearing is in the left or right 20% of the screen. This means if you simply let go of the controls the screen will stop scrolling where the gap is less than 60%.

2) Auto-detect the width of the current gap (the two extremes of the bearings horizontal movement) and set the camera to simply point at the mid-point. This will deal elegantly with gaps up to a full screen width. If the gap is bigger then fall back on the push scroll - or simply don't have gaps that big.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#14]
Thanks for the ideas John

I actually do think reducing the speed helps a bit with the scrolling issue. Also I've given a bit more tolerance which should smooth out the whole motion.

Not sure I agree with point 1 as that would just create reactive scrolling that would be even faster. Point 2 though is interesting, though and I'll look into it.

I was also thinking of drawing an alpha line through the horizontal line of the ball to give an indication as to what you'll hit. Is judging the gaps difficult?

Rob

big10p(Posted 2006) [#15]
Ah, Rob - I can't play this as it runs in 1024x768, which my dud monitor can't do. :( I should've guessed from the screenies. I'll try and check it out on my other machine, later. :)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#16]
This is a great game. I wouldn't say it's too fast though. Just right I recon.

But as John says, the camera needs tweaking a bit. It shouldn't judder so much when the ball is in a tight space. That's what is giving the headaches. :)

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#17]
Cameras tweeked, control increased and speed lowered if you wish to recheck the download zip above. Thanks again Chris

regards Rob

big10p(Posted 2006) [#18]
No Prob. ;)

I really like what you've got so far. Very compelling.

I haven't played the original version, yet, so I can't compare, but I still think the camera needs a bit more work. As JP says, the horizontal scrolling annoys a bit, especially when bouncing in a small gap. The speed seemed about right to me, though.

I'd love to see the ball really shiny chrome, if you could do that. :)

BTW, is it actually possible to finish the level? I got 7 rings and couldn't seem to find any more.

P.S. Anyone else that can't do 1024x768, there's a 640x480 version in the download. Cheers, Rob.

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#19]
I liked it.

Two things I feel would add to the game though:

Improve your camera work. At first it was very annoying that you couldn't see where you were heading, and because of the speed you most of the times just rely on luck to get whever you wanted.

Make left and right arrow keys rotate the view 90 degrees, so it's possible to control the other direction of the ball. Just a thought though, not sure how that would affect your design idea.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#20]
Hehehe, i like this. Nice work. Again, looks pretty polished :o)

Scott Williams(Posted 2006) [#21]
Very pretty. Lovely.
This is one to watch.

What tools do you use to produce the graphics?

Scott.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#22]
Nice to see some people like it. I was hoping people might like the simple but unique-ish gameplay (It's from a 20 year old 8-bit game called croco magneto) more so than the visuals. I loved that game as a youngster and thought it would make a perfect pick up and play casual game.

As for the graphics I've created sets of standard blocks (14 per set), these are then placed in the editor which automatically flips/rotates them together to make the correct look. This means I can just lay a block next to another and those two blocks will combine using the correct basic model. These are also applied to a heightmap which gives the irregular up and down shapes.

Next time I upload a demo (probably 1-2 weeks) I'll include the editor.

The level in this demo probably took an hour to lay out. Other than that I'm using AutoCad, and my own b3d texturing tool.

Anyway thanks for the interest

big10p(Posted 2006) [#23]
Rob, you may want to check your collision code. At one point I was in a small 'pocket' gap and managed to 'drill' my way right through the wall to the other side.

Looking forward to seeing the update. :)

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#24]
Yeah I did notice that collision problem thanks Chris. It definately won't happen on the update!

Rob

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#25]
Great game, good concept and visually very impressive. It has a nice breakout theme built into it, the speed is part of its attraction. Congrats on some nice eye candy...

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#26]
Nice game so far. But what exactly are you suppose to do? Collect all the rings? I get to a point where it says 5 rings left, but I'm only able to find 2 more.
I did find a problem with the menus. If you were to click on the background instead of one of the options, it seems the program "remembers" the click and just as soon as the pointer passes over an option, it'll be selected even if the mouse button is no longer being held down.

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2006) [#27]
Man that's *REALLY* garish!

ME LIKE! :)

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#28]
Okay here's a new version of the demo with the camera modifications and other stuff which I think helps alot. You can actually collect all the rings on the level and complete it :) (By the way the big metal spinning thing is the portal you have to return too to finish the level!)

Still along way to go, but I'm interested to know what people think of the gameplay and such.

regards Rob

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#29]
Has anyone tried the modified version? I really do need to know if I've fixed the camera and control issues people mentioned.

Regard Rob

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#30]
Much better but the camera is still moving left and right when you let go of the controls.

Not keen on the beams - it feels like I'm moving a crosshair rather than a ball.

Eric(Posted 2006) [#31]
I really got sick playing it... I love the look but I could not focus on anything. If it only didn't bounce so much, maybe a little friction on the ball.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#32]
Bouncing is pretty much the premise of the game. The camera has to shift from side to side to keep the ball on screen. I've tried to dampen down the movement as much as possible, and slowing the ball further just makes the whole thing to me feel weak

I truely thought the game concept was unique, and fun. However if it turns out that it also makes people ill. Now I just have to decide whether to continue or scrap :(

Anyway thanks for you help

Regards Rob

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#33]
"The camera has to shift from side to side to keep the ball on screen."

Not if you work out the centre point of the current two extremes and point the camera at that.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#34]
Yes John I understand what you mean, and it would work fine for narrower (say 2/3 screen width) areas, but I wonder how violently the camera would have to move when the player moved from a narrow to wide. I guess I can try and find out, but I don't think it addresses the problem that ultimately the camera will scroll from side to side, which seems to cause some motion sickness.

And the beams are purely there as a guide to help player spacial alignment. You'd be able to toggle this on or off.

Regards Rob

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#35]
I think it *will* solve it. It's the back and forth that's problematic. Plenty of games scroll sideways without causing problems. Fairly easily fixed. Big gaps can be dealt with but are probably best avoided anyway - they don't work that well in the game.

You choice, but it seems daft to scrap something when there's a solution available.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#36]
Thanks John for your input - I'm sure you're plenty busy with Naked War coming up very soon (Good Luck with it-Looks great)

I've implemented your camera idea fully, and it does seem to stop the dizzyness thing I hope, though its still scrolls a bit :)

Anyway here's the last demo of it until it becomes beta somewhere in the future. This demo was mainly to test the camera/control before the hard work started.

Regards Rob

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#37]
With that new version I'm getting

"HUD_SetImageClip
The specified object does not exist."

after clicking Play on the menu.

EDIT: The 640 version works fine though.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#38]
Oh, gawd - yes I think I know what I've done. New download is being uploaded now, and I hope fixes this. Same URL

The old 640x480 version isn't the one I wish people to see! :)

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#39]
Hmm. I'm still getting the same error.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2006) [#40]
ran fine here

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#41]
Whoah!! Is it meant to be that fast .. I found it almost impossible to control the damn thing :) Never really play these kind of games so probably the norm?

Looks cool and is nicely presented. When I clicked on instructions though nothing appeared and I couldn't get back to the main menu without hitting esacpe. I guess you're still working on that side of things?

Stevie

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#42]
Hey Rob!!! AWESOME game! I really like the music!! A suggestion is check out the UPX compressor. It shrank your .exe from 1900kb(ish) down to 600k and everything still worked fine. Just FYI. :)

http://upx.sourceforge.net/

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#43]
Okay. Deleted all previous versions rather than let them be over written and it now runs.

Speed on my system at least is just about right I feel, and it is sooo much smoother.

Speaking as one who would be ready to vomit within a few seconds previously, I now have been able to play it for a period of time and explore a bit, so the changes have made it better IMO. Long term it might still be wise to have a bucket nearby though ;-)

Ultimatey though its not something I would play much as it just feels like its too much reliant on luck rather than skill.

Now if you were to make it it so you moved the ball by tilting the level in all directions that would be fun. LOL

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#44]
Well it good to know I'm no longer making people ill :) The idea of the game was to be fast paced, mania inducing, something I always felt was lacking in the marble madness type games. Perhaps the control issue will be helped because the camera is pitched too low making what you'll collide with less apparent.

I'm also toying with the idea of Time-Out's since the game is essentially against the clock (or will be). That will mean you can peruse an area before attempting to clear it, which will help rather than being blind the first time.

Thanks for your help all :) Rob

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#45]
Okay so it's been 6 months and the game has progressed a bit further, so I'd like a few opinions again.

"www.eakiah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ball bearing.zip"

Would be nice to think the scrolling doesn't induce vomiting now :)

Thanks Rob

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#46]
You'd probably be best starting a new thread for this :o) It seems to get more coverage that way. Looks good, i'll try and try it out later :o)

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#47]
So all you do is use the up and down arrow key right? If that's it I was a bit frustrated. Did I miss something?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#48]
MAV on startup :(

AMD 64 dual core 4200+, GeForce 7800.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#49]
@Chroma: Yes, its simply up and down. It's my attempt to recreate a game I liked from the 8bit days. Sorry you didn't like it, I was trying for simple fun :)

@Cygnus: Did you even get the title screen?

Oh this hasn't gone well :(

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#50]
Ah I'm not saying I don't like it. I thought I was missing part of the controls. Great work here man.

agent4125(Posted 2006) [#51]
This is a great start. =) Here's my feedback:

- There's a lot graphics on each screen that compete for your attention that have no bearing on gameplay. I would remove the stuff underneath the main plane and add a floor. Or make the stuff underneath really blurred out, maybe as if the floor was translucent or something.

- There's a lot of cool gizmos that would be cool to interact with, rather than just being eye candy. It's as if the cool things (the spinning cranes, etc) aren't relevant but the boring stuff is (crates).

- The back-and-forth mechanic is interesting, but I'm not sure it fits the theme. With this kind of level design and the fact that you're a ball really implies that you should be able to determine your own angle. I would use a more traditional control scheme, but achieve your "mania inducing" gameplay by making cool gizmos that fling you around and boost your speed, etc.

- I finished the level, but I never had a good feel for what I was trying to do or how I was progressing (clicking on Instructions in the menu just froze the game.)

Otherwise, I like the theme a lot and the presentation is awesome so far. I think it just needs more iterating on the game mechanics.

Good luck,
Joe

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#52]
Thanks Joe, thats great feedback.

1 - I do agree that the underneath stuff can get in the way visually. The original idea was the screen looks confusing until you play it, when such incidental backgrounds are visually ignored by the player. Bit like Tempest 2000. I have an idea that may work for this

2 - Most of those moving gizmos will drop stuff, fire stuff or generally harm. The crates are there to block things, and other blocks will be used for other things too.

3 - Yes the back and forth mechanic was the original game back in the 80's. Changing it to a pure angle rotation thing will cause other issues like losing the player (and ruins the layout of my boss level). I do have an partial solution that may work though, which I will try.

And yes more I plan more power-ups like speed boosts etc

4 - I hope that the "knowing what you're doing" part will be solved by easing the player in with simple levels first. Once you know you have to collect the rings and get to the Portal 'Oh my god I ripped off Sonic!' then it becomes more obvious. I also plan an arrow that points to the nearest Ring

I'll work on this and then put it up in a new thread in a few days. Thanks for your help

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#53]
Absolutely nothing :( the graphics command gets executed (The window enlarges) and then I get MAV. nothing else at all.

I like the look of this, hope you can fix it up :)

Rob Buckley(Posted 2006) [#54]
Are you letting the zip create the directories? Otherwise I don't understand why it would crash

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#55]
looks nice but ive no idea whats going on, if i try to get instructions the menu slides off and the game locks up.

MerseyMan(Posted 2006) [#56]
Looks very good and plays well enough however there seems to be a lag between pressing up or down and the ball responding to either keypress, this makes it a bit more frustrating than it could otherwise be ( IMHO of course ).
Has a lot of potential though.