Flamewar!

Community Forums/Showcase/Flamewar!

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#1]
Check out my latest game; it's free! Tell all your friends.

http://www.moondoggieent.com/games/flamewar.html

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hey you finished it cool! I'll check it out later. Am I credited? :-)

[edit] I checked it out, thanks for the credit. It made me laugh a lot. cool. Great graphics too and feel too. It's quite hard though. Seems the mouse turning speed is a bit slow on my PC. But it's very smooth. Also when you die it says "you lose at internets" in black and you can't see it very well + the screen fades quickly, you could improve it maybe.

Can I put a link to it from my pages and said here's a game based on an idea of mine? It's more publicity for your game!

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#3]
Link away. Just please link the page, not the download directly.

Yeah, I made it way hard. I kept ratcheting up the difficulty while developing, and then realized I had gone too far when I got a friend to playtest it. I toned it down some, but I think I should go even easier.

Did you try turning up your mouse speed in Windows?

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#4]
This game is the pwange, its just l33t!!!

but I think I should go even easier

WHAT!!!!! That was the easiest game ever.

The last two levels make it about |This much harder but if anything you should make it harder.

[edit]BTW what are those caplocksesesseeses things, mabey i missed somthing[/edit]

big10p(Posted 2006) [#5]
The link to the download seems to be broken for me, for some reason. :/

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#6]
Huh, that's weird.

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#7]
Link is working here.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#8]
heh...thats a lot of flamers...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#9]
Make it easier for sure. Does their flame damage you MORE when you get closer as I seem to die instantly sometimes when right up close.

OK I'll make some links! :-)

big10p(Posted 2006) [#10]
S'ok, link is working now. :)

I'll gives this a try...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#11]
yay I beat level 1!
I think the text wall graphics ought to appear earlier on in the game as they are the coolest!

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#12]
Best thing is to approach the enemy, turn round it and shoot from the side. The mouselook does seem a tad slow though... Nice game :o)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#13]
is this doing simple sphere to poly collisions for the player?

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#14]
Which collisions are you talking about? I use sphere to poly for the player colliding with the level. Why do ask?

The mouselook does seem a tad slow though

It's fairly twitchy on my machine, but I forgot to bear in mind that I keep my mouse speed in Windows really fast (I don't like moving my hand much.) If you turn up the mouse speed in your Control Panel that'll probably help.

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#15]
Okay...the last level is THE MOST NAUSEATING thing I have ever played. Even as I type this I feel like I'm either going to have a seizure or vomit.

Great game BTW.

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#16]
Okay...the last level is THE MOST NAUSEATING thing I have ever played. Even as I type this I still feel like I'm either going to have a seizure or vomit.

Great game BTW.

(Oops, double post)

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#17]
It just occurred to me I should give a thanks to deviousbytes in the credits, since they're hosting the download.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#18]
D'oh, it runs in 1024,768 - that's me out. :/

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#19]
How about having an option in the game, to adjust mouse sensitivity?

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#20]
This is a cool game :)

A few oddities... for example, Options opens up Help for controls...
Since it's not a serious game, I won't pester you about it.

The graphics are brilliant, and it's great fun to play!

The Caps lock powerup is great!

Spread this far, Joe!
I want to see it become the most popular game on the Internet, with 50 mirrors and a headline on Slashdot by the end of this week!

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#21]
Very nice game! It's seriously, WOW!

Good game!

My eyes are having a problem readjusting after playing teh matrix.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#22]
Nice one, Joe, with some familiar sites as battlegrounds! I found the usual circle-strafe helpful, but with the limitation of moving OR flaming, that becomes a little more challenging (i.e. I suxx0red for a while but now I'm becoming teh winnar). :)

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#23]
Super slow mouse...

Thats the only problem. I couldn't really play it without doing the brushing action on my desk.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#24]
I couldn't get past the first level - can't see any way to kill an enemy without being shot to death at the same time..but then I've not really played many first person shooters.

Still seems well put together and it what I did see of it runs well even on my old 500 MHz PC.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#25]
yeash strafing is vital and the stand still when flaming mechanic makes it harder.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#26]
I had the same problem, Matty, until I tried briefly pressing and releasing the mouse button (rather than just holding it down) to alternate brief flaming with brief circling, "and that has made all the difference."

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#27]
I do what Ross C described, but your way is pretty cunning. Your method of semi-circle-strafing works a lot better against the faster enemies in the latter levels.

A number of people have complained about the inability to move while flaming, but I didn't want to open up the possibility of running into your own flames.

Options opens up Help for controls...

Options? Huh?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#28]
Wow you really did it! Considering that this started as a joke by someone on IRC if I remember correctly, it's amazing. And the capslock powerup... KOOL! congratualtions.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#29]
Spread this far, Joe! I want to see it become the most popular game on the Internet, with 50 mirrors and a headline on Slashdot by the end of this week!

D'ya send the link to everyone you know? Help a brother out!

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#30]
It's interesting and intriguing. I think you should do more with it. You need more powerups and gameplay mechanics in addition to multiplayer. You could easily make this one of the most popular pop culture jokes around.

Anatoly(Posted 2006) [#31]
I agree! Improve on it!
My eyes still hurt from The Matrix level! Ouch!!!

TACTICS TO WIN:
Find an enemy, approach him, get close enough that he will start fire and in this moment walk to his side and fire at him. If you will do that fast enough you will have just enough time to kill an enemy without getting hurt - that's it!

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#32]
I think you should do more with it. You need more powerups and gameplay mechanics in addition to multiplayer. You could easily make this one of the most popular pop culture jokes around.

I'm torn on such additions. On the one hand, a number of things spring to mind as things I could/should do (multiplayer was an early idea I never implemented, and the blogosphere was mentioned on another forum.) On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to spend much more time working on something that's freeware, especially when it already feels complete to me.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#33]
..hey, is there any cheat codes...I wanna kick ass to this mot...F....r whos butning me and telling me 'you suckk'...ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#34]
heh the beauty of making a mini-game like that which is complete and able to be distributed is you can add in tweaks and improvements any time, and the game is still complete. I love adding stuff to a game which is already done, as you are only making it better. Adding stuff before it is done might mean it never gets done! (This happens to a lot of people.)

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#35]
hey, is there any cheat codes

There is actually a "warp to next level" button (I put that in for convenience during development, and I never removed it because it doesn't matter,) but no cheats that'll help during play. Oh well!

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#36]
I think this is worth your time and effort. As it stands it's little more than a spoof ... barely a novelty. However, the concept could be used to create some actually deep and compelling gameplay based on a good satirical theme. If you started adding in characters etc... you could have a sort of Internet age 'Family Guy' franchise on your hands. You could definitely create a lot of funny stuff based on Internet flamewar geeks. Doing a cartoon, comic, video game thing ... all based on this concept is golden.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#37]
He still needs my original ending where you realise it's pointless trying to convert people via flamewar and you become jaded with it all and quit computers to become a flower farmer and meditate all day :-)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#38]
I.m impressed by the facelessness of your targetrs, well done.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#39]
Bug report.

What's this mean?

It happens randomly:

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#40]
Thanks for letting me know about bugs, but you forgot the actual report.

If you started adding in characters etc... You could definitely create a lot of funny stuff based on Internet flamewar geeks.

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#41]
ADDITION: Alright, I smoothed out the motion a little, added a time display, and in the process fixed a bug with timing in the game.

On another forum someone suggested a cool paper/rock/scissors sort of thing, so I might try implementing that later.

@cygnus: Um, I have no idea what that's all about. Could you maybe explain further? Like, how long does it last when that happens to your view.

Also, does anyone else have any idea what could cause that? I'm not doing any fullscreen effects like blur or anything that could have a bug, and the fades are done using SetGamma, so that couldn't be involved.

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#42]
Some kind of colour bit-depth issue maybe? Dunno - a completely uneducated random guess there!!!

--------------------------------------

Anyway, for such a simple looking, basic game, it's clear a lot of time and effort was put into this. It plays well, never encountered any bugs/issues and was insanely addictive :D

Maybe it's because I completely agree with the premise behind m interpretation of the game!!!

Great stuff, Joe! And, as all enticing freeware, I hope this leads to a positive interest in saleable games!

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#43]
. (double post sorry!)

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#44]
I think you should keep it -- that looks cool :P

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#45]
I hope this leads to a positive interest

I do too, but it's surprisingly hard to get people to try the game. Most of the people I've emailed the link to, including a frustrating number of my friends (ahem, "friends") have been passing it over, apparently dismissing the message as spam. In a couple forums my message has been deleted because of "no spam" policies.

I can understand not wanting to clutter up the channels of communication with tons of unwanted ads, but a free game announcement on a gaming message board?

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#46]
ROFL at the "caps lock" upgrade!!

I wish there was more stuff they say though, all I get is:

"religion, politics, you suck, you're a lose, you n00b, hitler" and a few others. do they say more stuff?

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#47]
do too, but it's surprisingly hard to get people to try the game. Most of the people I've emailed the link to, including a frustrating number of my friends (ahem, "friends") have been passing it over, apparently dismissing the message as spam. In a couple forums my message has been deleted because of "no spam" policies.

I can understand not wanting to clutter up the channels of communication with tons of unwanted ads, but a free game announcement on a gaming message board?

Sad to hear.
I imagine that's down to the unavoidable amount of crap all over the internet constantly claiming free this and free that when they are just links to something completely irrelevant and costly. Shame :(

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#48]
Heyup.

Sorry, yeah. It happens randomly, but i need to exit when it does, it goes on forever. It just stops rendering and stops clearing on each FLIp. like renderworld stops being called altogether.

The reason i see this is when my volume changes using the keyboard, my OSD pops up and it too then gets added to the blurr, and you only see the yellow of the HUD every 2 frames.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#49]
Added link to it from http://www.GreyAlienGames.com !