BlitzMAX JV-ODE Physics Demos (Win32)

Community Forums/Showcase/BlitzMAX JV-ODE Physics Demos (Win32)

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#1]
NEW DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE

I'm looking for some general feedback for the following pre-release JV-ODE demos for BlitzMax. These are the first builds of a new set of demos to be released for use with the JV-ODE Physics Wrapper, so there may be some teething problems. Please post if you find any problems.

The BlitzMax JV-ODE wrapper uses a built-in 'bare-bones' OpenGL 3D engine and can be used with any of the 3D engines available for BlitzMax. As the JV-ODE Physics Wrapper is based around a Windows DLL, it is -only- currently supported on Win32 machines.

[edit] Image removed

The following download contains the 4 demos above, including the Blitz3D and BlitzMax sources for the Car Demo. Note that the source files are for comparison purposes only, they will not compile without the missing include files.

You do -not- need BlitzMax to try the demos as they are pre-compiled exe's.

Download here - 405 KB - NEW DOWNLOAD

If you experience any problems or have any feedback/questions, please post them below.

[edit] Oops, forgot to mention the known issues...

- The lighting isn't fixed in the Car Demo so it moves with the camera

Danny(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hi Vip3r, not sure what type of feedback you're asking for, but what would be nice is if you'd include an FPS counter in the demo's and an option to toggle the vwait, to see how fast it is.

Also I'd include for example that demo (forgot who made it) where you drop a ragdoll on the see-saw. That one is funny as hell :) Also if you like, feel free to include that crawler experiment I posted before with those moving creatures (motors), breaking tables, etc.

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#3]
fails to start on all demos

PsychicParrot(Posted 2006) [#4]
Ran and the physics were working seemingly fine ... BUT ... it was running at about 2fps. Painfully slow :(

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#5]
Woah. I can't wait to try this one!!!!!!!! Perfect Timing Viper!

PsychicParrot(Posted 2006) [#6]
Forgot to mention ... laptop, WinXP, P4 3gig, 512MB RAM, ATI Mobility IGP 9000. Runs all the Blitz3d physics stuff fine ... just doesn't seem to like BM!

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#7]
running okay on mine but lps would be nice

ie logic per second the true figure of the physics, fps can be faked :0

are they opengl or DX

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#8]
oh an err.. I cant try it yet as im at work. If this works Viper you may have just fixed one major issue with my future in programming :P

Oh, sorry to do this- PsychicParrot, cold you drop us an Email mate? I've tried before, no response....

Danny(Posted 2006) [#9]
by the way, they work fine here!

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#10]
When you release the BMAX version, will it those of us who already have the B3d version, get a free copy?

Stellar(Posted 2006) [#11]
@Neuro
yes you r right,at least give us 80% discount :D

saoudi(Posted 2006) [#12]
Awesome Demos. All demos run smooth even on my slow pentium3 machine. Couple of things though. The CarDemo the floor shakes a lot and sometimes the car falls through it. And in Demo-RagDolls, the Dolls fall through the floor when dropped, they are just below that plane, because once a doll landed on its side, and all I saw was part of the arm poking through so I know they are no too far under the floor.

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#13]
Thanks everyone, much appreciated :)

@Danny: I'll see if I can add an FPS counter to the next batch. Ah, the see-saw... you mean Shiftys demo ;)

@{devious}: Might be a graphics driver or card issue? Make sure you have the latest OpenGL drivers. What's your spec?

@PsychicParrot: Good to see ya PP :) Possibly another OpenGL driver/card issue?

@Duckstab[o]: Check the source, you can see how the physics timing works. The demos are using OpenGL for the rendering.

@Cygnus: Cheers, I hope it proves useful to you :)

@Neuro & 3ch0: Hehe possibly, no promises though, JV-ODE is already ridiculously cheap with its current functionality. It will either be included free or an extremely cheap add-on, I need to think about it properly and get my bearings on where and how JV-ODE progresses from here.

@saoudi: Yeh, the camera is a bit on the twitchy side at the moment. I know that the geometry is colliding correctly but the camera issues may be distorting the view of the ground plane. I noticed this when building the demos, the ground plane would 'bow' upwards in the middle so it looks like the geometry has sunk into the plane. If the objects don't continue falling forever, I'm betting it's a camera issue. I thought I'd fixed it but obviously not ;)

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#14]
well my gl mod works fine, gl games work fine, however your samples dont run (thou this isnt really important as its using your "Basic" framework as you say

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#15]
Ok, thanks :)

You don't have your Blitz3D version DLL in the system folders or anything like that do you. I'm wondering if its trying to access the wrong JV-ODE DLL via environment paths? Does it give any error messages or just bomb immediately?

The exe's are also UPX'd, though I've not had problems compressing exe's unless deep encryption is used on them afterwards.

Or maybe the primitive 3D system needs further tweaks (most likely), time to get the big RedBook out again. The wrapper doesn't rely on any 3D engine, so the hope is that the demos should be easily ported to an engine of choice.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#16]
EXE demos all work here. In the ragdoll demo the bodies fall thru the ground. In the driving demo the ground flickers (up and down?).

Good work.

Wayne(Posted 2006) [#17]
Everything worked great, and damn fast too !
Win XP 512mb, Nvidia 5700LE 256mb

VIP3R, so can you load models, and trimesh, and texture with your bare bones Open GL 3D Engine ?

Matty(Posted 2006) [#18]
Same as for Beaker - ground flickers in driving demo, ragdoll demo bodies fall through the ground (but stay a little below it).

The car demo runs slower in this exe than it does when I run the car demo that you did for blitz3d a while ago - maybe blitzmax is slower than b3d on my machine, or perhaps it is just opengl - I am using a very low end system - 500 Mhz AMD with Geforce 2 MX.

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#19]
I've encountered *very* slow OpenGL on quite a few PC's. Usually udpating the drivers will fix it.

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#20]
Very fast, no problems with any of the demos on my machine :-

P4 3.2 / 1.5Gb RAM / XP Pro SP2 / Radeon X550 PCI-E 64Mb / DX9

Cheers

Mark

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#21]
Thanks all, great feedback so far :)

I'm using the OpenGL gluLookAt() function to point the camera at the car, but it's way too twitchy when the car is upside-down or at a standstill. I'll try something else to point the camera.

Hmm, there's definitely no physics collision penetration, it looks like the visible plane quad is being distorted somehow. If I make the plane quad larger, it starts jumping around which sounds similar to the problems decribed by Beaker and Matty above. It may be the reason for penetration of objects through the 'visible' plane.

@Wayne: You can texture with the engine (the ground plane is textured) and there's a B3D model loader in Terabits engine which might work with standard meshes (not tried it yet). The Blitz3D CreateTriMesh() and CreateAnimTriMesh() functions need converting though, there's no VertexX/Y/Z CountTriangles/Surfaces etc so that will need working out. The included engine is only really for these demos, it's not suitable to use as a 3D engine for your projects.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#22]
I'm actually lookin forward to this. I didnt make too much use of the Blitz3d one since I been playin around with BMAX most of the time.....

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#23]
New Download Available!

Download here - 405 KB

Fixed:

The camera should be working as smooth as silk now.

The ground plane stuff has been re-designed and should no longer penetrate objects in the RagDoll and Car Demo.

The new demo exe's are no longer UPX compressed.

Please re-try the demos and let me know if the new code works any better, especially on machines that were having problems before.

Thanks again :)

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#24]
VIP3R,

Probably not too much help, since i didn't have any trouble with the previous demos, but once again, no problems at all here.

P4 3.2 / 1.5Gb RAM / XP Pro SP2 / Radeon X550 PCI-E 64Mb / DX9

Ran smooth, looks good.

cheers

Mark

ZJP(Posted 2006) [#25]
Hi,

Work fine and fast :

P4 3Ghz, Radeon 9600Pro, XPRO SP 2, Dx 9

JP

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#26]
Is it supposed to only last like 5-10 seconds?

It runs fine here, except very fast. Everything seems to be working fine, except at maybe 5x the speed. No delta time?

Genuine Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Dothan Revision B1 1.6GHz
1GB Ram, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Mobility

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#27]
Holy smoke... 5-10 seconds :O

Blimey, what refresh rate are you using? 400Hz or something :)

You're right, there's no delta timing in these demos.

Thanks again all for the feedback :)

Anyone else?

The more the merrier...