Control Monger - Shadow test

Community Forums/Showcase/Control Monger - Shadow test

King Dave(Posted 2006) [#1]
Heya, I've just spent a lot of time getting stencil shadows working in my game Control Monger (an online FPS written in B3D).

The game is considered complete but I held off release until I got shadows in (or had at least tried to :)).

Because this is a fairly major update I'm hoping to get a fair number of people test the game for stability before we do a large scale advertisment of the game.

If you have time could you please download the game from www.controlmonger.com/files.php.

By default shadows are cast from player models only, you can cast from map objects and weapons too by changing the options.

If you have any problems can you post them here so I can try to resolve them before this patch goes live.

NOTE: At the moment you will not be able to get on the dedicated server if its currently running the Layers or Warehouse maps... this is due to newer versions in the shadow test which arn't live yet.

Zmatrix(Posted 2006) [#2]
I didnt have any problems here, turn them all on, works great :)

6800gtoc

Sam

Erroneouss(Posted 2006) [#3]
before we do a large scale advertisment of the game

Eh? Before a large ad?! This game was in "Computer Games" magazine like 5 months or so ago!! A FEATURE ARTICLE! :P

By the way, nice game Drac. :)
I've always been a fan of it.

King Dave(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hey this is KD not Drac :P

And yes we were in the magazine but that was before the game was complete, so anyone who did bother to play didn't stay for very long.
What I mean by a large scale advertisment is sending it out to over 300 game sites, e-mailing all our previous users and a few other tricks all at the same time :) We need more than a trickle of people joining or not enough people will be playing at the same time.

If the shadows don't work or appear buggy for anyone, can you post your specs as well (if not in your sig), thanks!

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#5]
... but you also got a favourable write-up in PC Gamer or Zone with the only downside noted as the lack of players so I don't understand why you're not busier.
I know some people won't touch ControlMonger due to
Drac's antics but he can't have caused that much bad PR... could he?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#6]
i was on the way to work this morning and one wreck caused half of atlanta to be late for work so yeah... one person can @#!* a lot of people off.

King Dave(Posted 2006) [#7]
Drac's opinions are his own and have nothing to do with the game (as far as I know, haven't read all of them :P)

The PR we've had has been fairly limited apart from the two magazines mentioned, they did get a fair number of people downloading the game but the trickle of players coming in wasn't fast enough to build up a community.

Majority of the time they'd come on, find no one else on and just give up there and then....
That and the game wasn't fully 100% complete

So yes the idea is to advertise a launch time, get a fair number of players to start at exactly the same time... then keep the game appearing on a load of other sites for a week or two to keep new players come in. Hopefully it will then pretty much take care of itself.

That'll happen in the next few weeks once I'm happy the code is stable.

Xzider(Posted 2006) [#8]
Ill test it later today,looks good.Nice job Team^.^

Long live King Dave.