Fellowship of the Bling

Community Forums/Showcase/Fellowship of the Bling

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#1]
For those who wish to track development progress of my RPG game I have setup an RSS newsfeed from my website which can be found on the game's website here: http://www.bansheestudios.com/Bling%20Fellowship/Bling%20Fellowship.html

For those who do not know what i'm talking about here's a screenie: A Screenie

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
cool. why's the screenie so dark, is it nighttime?

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#3]
Early morning in that one, you can still see the stars :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
doh I shoulda looked longer. So make this a decent RPG then, I love RPGs, but surely they are massive and require a ton of programming...

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#5]
Indeed, but it seems that no challenge is too great for Banshee !

IPete2.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#6]
Media is the big constraint in an RPG, rather than the programming. I'm solving half of the media problem by not giving any kind of character generation process - so I dont need 16+ models just for player character variants, and i'm solving the other half of it the old fashioned way: Buying media packs. :) Add in retextures, rescaling, chop shopping, and the odd thing I model myself and bingo ... enough variety for a little RPG game :).

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#7]
Well I thought you also needed an extensive database of objects with various properties. Also you need to program in how all the player stats interact with objects and the "real" world. This surely is a bind?

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#8]
Monsters use the same datatype as players, as do spell effects which travel across the playfield. Terrain objects are easy, either just "turned on" for the current map (in the case of large buildings like castles) or integrated into the terrain portalisation system and "switched on" as part of the same framework that handles the trees. I dont think it's a bind at all.

In terms of player stats effecting the world, well they dont. They effect other players when they attack or cast spells - but that's just a matter of legwork to incorporate all the spells, Once a few particle emmission systems are created it's just a matter of textures.

The real nasty bit coding for RPG's is the interface, which is why I have the simple system that you see in the screenies - although the actual icons need sorting out. Again, the issue is media. Usually in an RPG the interface can be quite complicated, but only because people write complicated interfaces for RPG's...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#9]
well good luck with it all. Make a demo when you can actually play it and acomplish something, ... please.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#10]
That's what the RSS page is for GA :), it saves me posting continual project updates all over the place - those genuinely interested in the project can follow the development and I can leave the rest of you alone until I go Beta :).

puki(Posted 2006) [#11]
Ah, "Rose-bud" - how much is your code worth? I might buy it off you.

I can't be bothered to do too much work on my RPG - easier just to buy your code.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#12]
Sorry Puki I'm not interested in doing the support, especially as my coding methods are quite far removed from orthodox and certainly are not generic enough to be used as a framework.

Everything I write is highly integrated and optimised, a world apart from the OO code re-use that seems popular in these parts.

Apparently I could produce more projects if I re-used my code... It seems so logical doesn't it?

That's the problem. I'm not logical.

puki(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ah, you are trying to play 'hard-to-get'

I like your style.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#14]
Perhaps once the game has been out for a bit I might open source it, but there will be no support at all as i'm retiring from the indi-scene after this game.

puki(Posted 2006) [#15]
Ah, getting married then?

So, who is my rival?

ckob(Posted 2006) [#16]
being the last great work seems like you would call it something a little more serious. Fellowship of the Bling sounds so tacky no offense. I think the game looks awesome and you have youeself a good game in production but for the love of god call it something kool. :P