The Gods Must Be Crazy

Community Forums/Showcase/The Gods Must Be Crazy

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#1]
just a lil demo i quckly put together using my lil OO Blitz engine that is under development... just to test the validity of my OO Blitz engine concept...

get it here--> http://home.att.net/~mikey102/OOPBlitzDemo.zip

i saw something like this in a demo of the unigine engine, and it stuck in my head... so i decided to try one myself...

i implemented a bouyantobject class and added a couple of instances of it to the scene, which already contains an instance of my ocean class, a few instances of my actor class, and an instance of my submarine class...

press R to reset the boxes in the air
press F to set the bouyancy of each to negative and sink em
press V to reset the bouyancy to positive, and refloat em...

WASD keys moves the player around the scene... the object he is controlling can still walk on water :) so you can follow the boxes around as the 'current' takes em farther away...

hey... just a fun lil progress report on my lil OO thing...

--Mike

Warpy(Posted 2006) [#2]
The Gods Must Be Crazy is a brilliant film, so this is a brilliant thread :D

Demo looks nice too.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#3]
finally!!! someone took a look at this :)

yeah TGMC is a great film... brilliant, as you said...

and, thx for taking a quick look at my lil demo...

--Mike

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yep, looks cool so far man :o) Nice water there. Sorry, but there's still problems with the reflections. The crates reflection/shadow seemed to be stretching right across the water.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
I downloaded it but forgot to play it. soon ...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#6]
i got the reflections fixed... and added a lil splash and some different floating sounds... waves lapping agaisnt the sides of the boxes...

also, you can now delete up to 2 boxes, one at a time (new DeleteObject() function i just implemented) with the BackSpace key...

new version upload to site above... same name..

thx ...

--Mike

BlitzSupport(Posted 2006) [#7]
Very nice. The submarine looks very impressive on its way past too.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#8]
Very impressive Mike ! Now there's no excuse for not finishing your sub game !

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#9]
Mike,

I really like the movement, the bouyancy of the crates is really nice - the sluggish lazy style is very realistic imho.

Watching the sub go past made me want to re-install destroyer command !

Only minor crit is that at the horizon you can see tiny jagged little blocks, i'm guessing this is the edge of the water mesh ? would it be possible to hide these as it had the effect of shortening the distance effect and spoiled the sky / water experience for me at least.

Other than that, really liked it - looking forward to silent hunter OOP Edition....

cheers

Mark

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#10]
thx guys for taking a look... a lot of the credit goes to Fredborg for his great water demo code, from which the ocean is based (i'm still using his skybox textures as well)... and i'm sure you all recognize the remnants of Halo's Cathedral...

yeah, i've got no excuse now except my own lazyiness, it looks like i finally come up with a system in Blitz that is partially Object Oriented and looks workable...

you're right Mark... i noticed those tiny lil blocking on the water's horizon... gonna see about eliminating (or at least hiding) them if i can...

a lil word about Blitz... dear 'old' Blitz... i never realized just how fast Blitz was until now... in order to remove the reflections anomoly i was experiencing, i had to loop through all instances of each type created in the program and do a few checks, mainly if its Y position was below a certain value... if so, then hide it while the cube cameras were doing their reflection thing... then show it again... all within the same tick of the main loop... Blitz didn't seem to complain at all, as a matter of fact, it looks as if there's still a lil room left for some game action...

thanks again for taking a look and taking the time to post a comment...

--Mike

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#11]
wow the gods let me walk on water ;-) Shame no mouse look yet. It seems cool, can't really offer much feedback at this stage. Then sonar noise that starts after a while made me laugh, it was cool.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#12]
yeah... all that good stuff (mouse look, gravity for the actors, etc) is coming... this was just a quick rush to validate the OO concept and its functionality in Blitz...

besides, i can't spend the money on a unigine license right now, and i always wanted to do a demo like their floating barrels thing :)

--Mike