Yet Another Super Mario clone

Community Forums/Showcase/Yet Another Super Mario clone

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Heyup.

I wrote this in my spare time over the last week just to keep me ticking over while things were decided about other, larger projects. The idea was to keep me up to date on Blitzmax. I was surprised just how different Max is now compared to a year ago!

http://danjeruz.servegame.com/bbmario3.zip

Contains almost everything really, enemies, collectables, though theres no real point to it in this tiny, 140kb download- After the 7th level completes you will return to level 1 again.

Update:

Fixed the app-close-stuck-in-taskbar issue.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#2]
COOL! Though i could just hold down the jump button a fly over everything...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
wow neato! Did you rip the graphics or make them? You must have had a lot of spare time over the last week!

The scrolling is odd, if I quickly press left then right it jerks pertty badly by about an inch and is most disconcerting.

Now about that music you were gonna make ... ;-)

Panno(Posted 2006) [#4]
if you release this game 20 years before u got some million dollars

nice

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#5]
he he he - smashing.

Just dont hold the space bar down!

IPete2.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#6]

The scrolling is odd, if I quickly press left then right it jerks pertty badly by about an inch and is most disconcerting

This was intentional to enable you to see further ahead, However this seems to get the most complaints in any project I work on! I will work on getting it to look better.

Did you rip the graphics or make them? You must have had a lot of spare time over the last week!

Ripped, and then most of them were pixel-pushed by hand (in paint you shold know!) to double the res.

I did the graphics years ago though, Just used them in this project :)

Space bar was for debug, I should really remove that now, just like the Keydown() for jump should be changed to KeyHit() :D

Eventually I want to get someone to replace the graphics and make it a unique game,

Now about that music you were gonna make ... ;-)

Got a blown amp at the moment buddy! Bought a new one this week but not set it up yet!

That also explains the lack of sound in this demo :)

Any more ideas? :D

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#7]
Cygnus,

*** ALERT ***

It is over an hour since I tried your mario game...and something rather weird has come to my attention.

Another programme failed and I had to go to Task manager - guess what - even though I stopped and closed your mario game over an hour ago - the exe was still showing in my task manager - using processor cycles!

This is not good...

IPete2.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#8]
Hi Ipete2, i will look into this, though I don't get it on any machines I have.
Any idea how this could happen? What sort of practice in max? If you could help me isolate the problem, thatd be great :D

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#9]
Ok, found the problem! Fixed :)

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#10]
What was it?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#11]
A missing "Appterminate" command- I didn't know I needed to use it! :) In fact, I didnt know the command even existed!

Thanks to "Aymes" who informed me of it!

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#12]
Coolio - U the Dude Cygnus...

IPete2.

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#13]
was fun apart from the 'big jump' stuff. thats surely easy to fix

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#14]
Yeah, but its not a bug!!!! :) I'll remove it now though :D

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#15]
Okay, Removed that, and added a few other things- Higher jump when running, and it now works better when youre only small.

ErikT(Posted 2006) [#16]
Uh.. The jerky scroll "feature" makes me physically ill. Slow it down or something will ya?

AdsAdamJ(Posted 2006) [#17]
Bizarre - I got a second mario leaping slightly madly and not under my control! Also, the goombas sometimes get stuck in the landscape and also it seems to run really fast on my machine.

Apart from that though, it's a damn fun little game. *thumbs up!*

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#18]
Yeah, its supposed to be faster than the original, There will be a totally different game made with it later on, based on the mechanics.

The other Mario is a test player :) Sometimes he comes and steels your powerups!

Goombas are positioned incorrectly in the level editor at the moment, I never got around to fixing it :)

Uh.. The jerky scroll "feature" makes me physically ill. Slow it down or something will ya?

*sigh* and I really, really like how I did that! :P I'll change it when i get back if more serious things aren't popping up.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#19]
I like how if you hit a block, all of the blocks above it get hit in a cascading fashion.

Yeah, the turn-around scroll thing is cool, but too fast. Slow it down to about a 1/4 of that.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#20]
Okay, I've had an idea about how to make that work better. might get around to it later. I want to get torque working tonight first.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#21]
Have you ever seen that weird jerky scrolling thing in any well know classic platformers? No, neither have I. Either it's totally innovative, or um it's not ... I think the game would play better with just plain old normal scrolling :-)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#22]
Yeah, well, im going to make it gradually scroll the screen towards where your facing ;)
[edit]
This same complaint is probrably what all the fuss was about when I did Den Bros 3 in Blitzbasic :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#23]
I do look forward to seeing how this progreses, I love platformers! Did you ever play my Iron Fist game?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#24]
I do beleive I downloaded it, however, for some reason, I don't think i got around to playing it! Thats something else I shal do tonight!

I've got a mate of mine to help out with GFX/SOUND when he get's chance- Busy with other projcets at the moment.

I too have a few larger projects on the go- this is going to be something we work on during quiet times since bigger, more important, and possible paid work comes first :P

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#25]
Okay, updated- I believe. :D

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#26]
Anymore constructive critisism?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#27]
When you've got the next major release ready, I'll play it properly and give you some input if you like?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#28]
Sure thing. Let's let this thread rest, then. :D