Not quite a '360Shooter'

Community Forums/Showcase/Not quite a '360Shooter'

ryanmsmith(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've never played GeometryWars, but the screenshots looked nice and the concept sounded like fun. So, I chose to make my own chaotic space shooter for my first BlitzMax project.

My cheap version of the pressure grid background isn't quite what I'd like, so I've got more work to do there. I'd also like to throw in some more extras to keep the gameplay from getting stale.

More information here.

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#2]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/faq/faq_entry.php?id=2

Just add the link to the image from between the appropriate codes.

ryanmsmith(Posted 2006) [#3]
Heh. I tried just about everything but that. Thanks.

puki(Posted 2006) [#4]
Those screens are nice and colourful - I like that. You should build in a screen-saver bit too it too.

ryanmsmith(Posted 2006) [#5]
I've now added a flexible GeometryWars-like grid that responds to explosions. It's not quite as active as the GW version, but it does distort and is totally 2D. I thought it would too hard to get something like this to work until I had the idea to make the grid points members of two lists - one to draw the horizontal lines between points and one to draw the vertical lines between points. That turns out to be relatively simple. The distortion currently occurs at the point of an explosion, and the effect is a pretty simple "lens" effect. I'd like to eventually have the explosion create a ripple over the entire screen - could get some interesting interferance patterns with that.

Oh, is there a way to anti-alias the lines of the grid? Drawing multiple lines next to the main line with decreasing alpha seems to help but kills the framerate.

-Ryan
ryanmsmith.com
TerrapinGames.net