Sudoku Live Version 0.001

Community Forums/Showcase/Sudoku Live Version 0.001

pls(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi fellow blitzmax users...

I have reached version 0.001 of my first Blitzmax game. It is called "Su Doku Live". Right now only the Mac OS X build is ready, Windows and Linux will follow.

Why the heck create "yet another Su Doku computer implementation"?

- Because I was intrigued by the game (tried it recently for the first time) and did most of the code just to understand how to solve the puzzles. Looks like the game wrote itself... :-)

- I wanted a small project to take a break from a bigger one (a "Settlers of Catan" clone I have been coding for nearlly a year). Not releasing something was getting on my nerves...

- I liked Su Doku and I wanted to play on-line. Not against a clock (i.e. not really interesting), but against live players, in real-time, having some sort of hints regarding if I was in front or lagging... and I did not find any other game with that feature... so I found another reason to go ahead with it.

- I like solving hard/evil puzzles with my wife. In my game I can do it in Co-Op mode, I see her game, she sees mine, and we can share our efforts in order to solve these little nighmares in So Doku form...

Anyway, this pre-pre-pre-alpha release is on greedy.mrnet.pt/sudoku/distro/SuDokuLive.dmg for Mac Users to try out. It will be shareware eventually but right now it is fully functional, does not expire, does not nag anyone, so go get it and give it to as many mac users as you want.

Have fun and drop me a line if you liked it!

PLS

ps: uses MaxGUI and GNet :-)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
Yeah this is good.

pls(Posted 2006) [#3]
Indiepath: It's a very alpha version... some major stuff is still missing (well until next week that is :-) like the built-in chat, live rankings, etc. But I am glad you took the time to say something about it.

Right now I am going to start looking for a publisher or some sort of distribution channel...

PLS

Murilo(Posted 2006) [#4]
I'd really like to take a look at this but I don't have access to a Mac :(

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#5]
@Wee Jimmy, It's really well laid out and looks very "casualesque". It needs menu screens and the like but most of it's there.

pls(Posted 2006) [#6]
I'd really like to take a look at this but I don't have access to a Mac :(

I'll get a Windows version out as soon as I finish it (next week hopefully).
In the meantime here is what it looks like:

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#7]
nice looking screen. You could probably sell this!

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#8]
What Grey said.

Apparently those kind of puzzles are pretty popular these days (not my cup of tea, but...) There could be a pretty decent sized market for a game like this.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
You people really should try this game. If you've any competitive spirit you'll love it!

N(Posted 2006) [#10]
I'd try it if I had a Mac still. Oh well, I can wait for the Windows build.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#11]
Erm ... ?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
lol great screenshot!

I like sudoku a lot. Player it on holiday in the summer. Kept buying newspapers to find new puzzles.

Tim: Can't play it, I don't have a mac!

pls(Posted 2006) [#13]
Banshee: What Mac do you have and what OS version does it run?

Grey Alien: A Windows version will happen for sure...

PLS

pls(Posted 2006) [#14]
New version: 0.2 (latest pre-alpha version)

- Added on-line chat
- Added notes system
- Added some animated user error detection
- Added some sound samples
- Fixed a few bugs
- decrease cpu usage

You can get it at

pls(Posted 2006) [#15]
Ok... folks. Alpha testing for the Mac version will start Wednesday. The Windows versions will follow as soon as the Mac version ends the testing period.

A new version will hit the servers on Wednesday. You can get the pre-alpha on the URL given in posts above.

Also, if you want to join us, create an account on the forums (to leave your bug reports, suggestions, etc):

http://forums.deadpixelgames.com

And to arrange games, meet other players and find me, connect a IRC client (there is a java client, if you have none on your Mac, accessible from the forums in http://forums.deadpixelgames.com/chat.php but I would recommend that you install Colloquy which is MUCH NICER and has a iChat a-like interface).

Server: 62.193.254.125 port: 6667

Anyway, everybody is welcome, those who indeed test the game will get free licenses when/if they become available (or serve any purpose, which is not the case right now: any download gets a fully featured game with all the bells & whistles)...

C ya there, and thanks is advance to all those that help out!

PLS

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#16]
Banshee: What Mac do you have and what OS version does it run?

That screenie looks like my home Mac which is a Dalmation G3 iMac running Tiger, I guess only 10.4.4 at the time of the screenie.

pls(Posted 2006) [#17]
That is weird... I am running tiger also, and I never seen anything remotely like that... scary!

PLS

gman(Posted 2006) [#18]
i get the same as that nasty screenshot. its a G3 iMac with 256MB RAM running 10.3. only 8MB of vid ram though so im in software mode of OGL.

pls(Posted 2006) [#19]
Starting to suspect this is a G3 / software OGL thing...

I only have access to G4/G5... so I can't confirm this yet.

PLS

pls(Posted 2006) [#20]
I managed to get a windows version running. If anyone wants to try it:

http://greedy.mrnet.pt/sudoku/distro/SuDokuLiveSetup.msi

... the installer is not quite there yet, you must pick up the group name for the start menu (sorry but it was my first dealing with windows installers, and I hated every second of it BTW), but other than that it installs and de-installs the game and does not mess you computer. Just type SuDoku when it asks for a group name (and presents "(default)" as a alternative... which is funny because it actually defaults to "not placing anything on the start menu").

PLS

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#21]
been waiting for this thanks m8 give you feedback soon dling right now

pls(Posted 2006) [#22]
Updated the link to the pc version since the exe archive did not work properly... download http://greedy.mrnet.pt/sudoku/distro/SuDokuLiveSetup.msi instead. The PC version should be updated tomorrow if all goes well.

PLS