Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#1]
Basically completing final content for each level. Slow going, but here's a few shots from Level6 - the obligatory factory level.

Outside:

Watch out for mines!

Get through the beams...

It's ok, he can't hurt you(?)

In the maze.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
looking very nice...cholo type of game as i can see from screenies..

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#3]
Looks quality

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#4]
ETA?

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#5]
Is this based on Tron by any chance?

mrtricks(Posted 2006) [#6]
Looking dandy as ever. How long has this been gestating now? Looking forward to the next playable demo...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#7]
Good to see Tank Universal's still progressing!

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#8]
MCP looks good. No screenshots of Recognizers? :)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#9]
Demo!!!!!

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#10]
Rob
I'm working on a DNF timeline so it's 'when it's done';-)
Basically working afterhours and weekends and I guess you'd know how long it takes to create content of reasonable quality, programme in specific level features and bugtest.

Muzzer
Tron? Maybe. But it's not Tron - it's a 3d tank game without recognisers.

octothorpe
Actually he's the FCP - Factory Control Pylon. He's happy at first, but then you make him angry.

Stevie G
There's a couple of serious bugs I need to squash. Also, I haven't checked out what's available in terms of protecting my graphics resources - i.e. a packer? Any suggestions there?

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#11]
How about International Copyright Law?

GNS(Posted 2006) [#12]
Aww, I was just about to post a 'I'm still waiting for that worklog, MadJack!' thread. :]

Excellent stuff as always. Great use of particles, looks like the art path has really come along since that early demo. I also like the updated HUD, it fits very well in my opinion.

Any ETA on a new demo or even on reuploading the old demo (which I'd love to play again, btw)?

Ruz(Posted 2006) [#13]
It does look very tron like which is not a bad thing.
Don't know if that would be a problem though.

These big companies can be very arsey.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2006) [#14]
Hi MadJack !

The screens look good. I like the style from you game.
Can you show us a in game video from this game ?
When you need an musican, i can help you. More details about my homepage.

Regards
Blitzblaster

smilertoo(Posted 2006) [#15]
I can see Disney trying to block this.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#16]
For a great, free packer, I recommend Blitz Media Linker. It's in the Toolbox.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#17]
Awesome stuff. I like the whole look! CANT WAIT!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#18]
It looks great, my first tought was tron-like too. But well done! Hope it plays as good as it looks.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#19]
Hmm, I had replied to this thread a week ago, but it looks like it got lost in the server move - so...

Octothorpe - 'How about International Copyright Law? '
Nah-uh - I'd want something a bit more secure.

GNS
Aww, I was just about to post a 'I'm still waiting for that worklog, MadJack!' thread. :]'
Glad to have headed you off at the pass GNS - I had your post in the back of my mind so I thought I should get something out there ;-)
As for a demo - there's still several deep bugs lurking that I need to squash, which cause frustrating crashes occasionally and guess what? - they happen when you blow something up!. I think it's going to be a mission to track them down. As it is I'd rather concentrate on getting the levels finished than going on that mission just yet. Sorry.
As for the old demo -it's 2 years old now. I wouldn't really feel comfortable putting that out again (sorry, again).

Ruz - JohnDevoy
The style's very 'Tron', but there's no Tron-ripped graphics in there. The story is not Tron and there's no characters/textures/models from the film in the game. I don't think Disney has copyrighted the idea of additive blended lines defining 3d geometric shapes either, so I'm not too worried. Ok, so the FCP's obviously a take-off of the MCP, but the model has only a loose resemblence to the film's original and there's no lightcycles, god forbid.

big10p
For a great, free packer, I recommend Blitz Media Linker. It's in the Toolbox.
Thanks for the link big10p. By the way - thanks for your screen interference code. I use it to show when the player's taking splash damage (with a little camera shake), and it works a treat. Thanks again.

Grey Alien
Hope it plays as good as it looks.
I need to get in a round of playtesting before release obviously, but I'm confidant that players (and blitzers in particular) will find it a lot of fun. I 'm at the point now, where I'll fire up a level (when I'm done coding) and the game can still surprise me (in a good way), and make me feel I'm having fun, so I figure that's a good sign. And I've been playing games since the days of the ZX81, so I think I've got a few good and valid ideas about game design.

Thanks for your comments.