GoBang

Community Forums/Showcase/GoBang

D2006(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

I just finished the development of GoBang, a computer version of the "5 in a row" game. The goal of course is to place 5 stones in a row, no matter whether vertically, horizontally or diagonally. The game features the following modes: play against the computer, against a second player and against anybody in the whole Internet.

For avoiding having stress with IP adresses the game supports a lobby, where you can chat with everybody and easily start own games.

I also want to mention d-bug, who made the graphics and my friend BladeRunner, who helped me a lot.

Screenshots and the download here:
http://www.chaos-interactive.de/index.php?show=gobang_eng

Enjoy!

Regards,
D2006

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#2]
Realy like the game ai seems very clever might want to scale it a bit give options for diff if possible might increase popularity in the game

excellent keep it coming :)

mrtricks(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yeah, VERY hard. I'm a very good Connect-4 player and I get thrashed by this! You might also put in some fake 'thinking' time for the AI player, just so the player doesn't feel too bullied! Good presentation :)

D2006(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hi,

Version 1.01 out now. Including a few bug fixes. For example I forgot to translate the 2 players mode into English, but it didn't seemed annoy anybody here. :)

www.chaos-interactive.de/index.php?show=gobang_eng

btw:
If you submit a news entry and somebody deletes it, where can you look up the reason? I just wonder as I sent the entry hours before any Server discharge message appeared.

regards,
D2006

d-bug(Posted 2006) [#5]
I don't think that the AI is to hard. In one of four cases I've got her ;)

cheers

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#6]
edit: i was gonna email over some similar ai for you to have a look at, will just post it up later

d-bug(Posted 2006) [#7]
@{DeviousBytes}
Please tell me why I should do this ?

If you mean the News problem then I will forward it to D2006 :D, but if you only want to test the game please use the links above.

cheers

[edit]O.K., you just want a beta-tester for your AI :D. It's better to post it over here, since there is not much time left for me to test it ...[/edit]

Andres(Posted 2006) [#8]
Why can't i join to the lobby? I think the lobby can be even created with php just that the chatting won't be possible then, but players could see the list and stuff and invite each other.

Perfect victory or desperate loss?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#9]

btw:
If you submit a news entry and somebody deletes it, where can you look up the reason? I just wonder as I sent the entry hours before any Server discharge message appeared.

If you think it was deleted accidently then just make a new news entry.

D2006(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hi,

@Andres:
the advantage of the IRC method is that the connection to the server must be kept alive. so it is possible to find a ping timeout very quick. with php there is the problem that a player has to establish a connection to the script, when ...
... he joins the lobby
... he starts playing a game
... he leaves the lobby
It is also important to implement a few secruity stuff for example to avoid script-visits by normal browsers.

So I decided to use the easy IRC method. Perhaps I can try to implement proxy support for the IRC client later.

I'm still wondering about your picture. Is this one player or tow players with the same color? I thought I made the second situation impossible.

regards,
D2006

Andres(Posted 2006) [#11]
You're right, but the php scipts wouldn't be very huge.
With php you can check the User-Agent parameter and filter out the wrong connections.

There is only one player. I put white ones on the edges. On the picture there's the best victory that could be achieved (4 * 9 in row).