duckstabs Bmx Rpg

Community Forums/Showcase/duckstabs Bmx Rpg

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#1]
Been working on the interface of my rpg
Have the type system set up ready to use in 2d or 3d just spent the last week looking over the old D&D character sheet for insperation

Any opinions welcome on style placement or reference materials

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#2]
Can't see any BMXs in it :(

Regarding style, It looks like an application rather than a game, if that's the look you're after then cool, personally I'd want it to look a darn sight prettier.

OK, this is not the style but it gives an example of more interesting ways to design a UI
Twisty knobs, buttons, things that click, flashing lights...

Music software I think tends to have some of the most interesting and tactile UIs you can get

Obviously you wouldn't have buttons and lights like that but you could have wheels to turn, cogs, pulleys etc that would make it much more game like.

Anyway, that's me...

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#3]
My aim is to follow D&D tradition ie Dungeon and Dragons no flashy lights in a medieval or classic fantasy styles also Im using Bmax(Bmx) to create the user interface which is loaded using Xml templates so the styles and layout can be changed by the user never before has this level on modification been made available for an Rpg. This programme is being created in a format made for the modder from day one that was the intention of the first line of code and will be so to the last.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#4]
You could roll your own.

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#5]
I just knocked up a quick 'more interesting' UI example...

It's not perfect (a few bugs here and there) but you get the idea!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rob.farley/screens/sillyui.zip

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#6]
Cool concept.
Is that pure bmx coding or using the bmx gui module overlayed with images and panels ?
sorry just get error when running your code

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#7]
Looks like the kind of interface that would benefit from using iGlass:
iGlass

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#8]
Duckstab it's plain old blitz2d, just hand rolled gui.

Beaker, again, your iGlass thing looks nice but it's an application not a game. A D&D gui should look like a game not an application.

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#9]
having a quick look at the original GUI.
I would advise:
1. a medieval font
2.No evidence of windows GUI elements anywhere!

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#10]
My aim is to follow D&D tradition ie Dungeon and Dragons no flashy lights in a medieval or classic fantasy styles

In that case, you may want to make things a little less sterile, and use either some kind of wood panneling or natural rock background or something, rather than the very straight metallic looking background.

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#11]
wood panneling or natural rock

No way, ink-lined paper and eraser shavings!

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#12]

Still messing around thinking of using an open Scroll for the Panels remember this is an editor for my Bmax rpg and is written in BmaxGui

just wanted it spiced up instead of the normals window style editors around

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#13]
Any links to some good textures would be nice

Is it possible to use alpha panels in Bmaxgui it would solve the problem of metallic feels.

Blending is needed for that organic feel

The labels on the panels will be replace with faked buttons once a style has be chosen