GridWars (1.4)

Community Forums/Showcase/GridWars (1.4)

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#1]
Wish we could edit the title....mods?

GW2 - GridWars 2 (A 360 Geometry Wars Spinoff)

Version 4.1 is available.

www.incitti.com/Blitz

Win32 exe & BLitzMax source files included

More feedback still welcome.

Thanks & enjoy,
Mark

ervin(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hi Mark.

This is absolutely excellent - I'm finding that it's stealing time from me during the work day... bad for me, but a sign that it's an excellent version of a great game.

Just one suggestion if I may... playing with a mouse can be a bit tough, as the sensitivity is too low. Any chance of a mouse sensitivity option?

Thanks for your great work.

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks!
I will add that in! (look for 1.6 later today)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yeah, i like it :) It's pretty tough

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#5]
Once I switched from the mouse to the keyboard I started to like this game. Nice work! :D

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#6]
1.6 is available
many changes

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=47632

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#7]
1.7 is available

www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=47632

- mouse sensitivity, inertia, etc.

ervin(Posted 2006) [#8]
Fantastic update!

Now I'll never get any work done.

:o)

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#9]
More time killing ahead...

Version 1.8 (The OpenGL build)

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=47632

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#10]
This game alone is making me want to buy a Dual Analog controller.

taumel(Posted 2006) [#11]
Hi,

great update! One thing: How about scrolling the grid a bit? It looks a bit boring and static when nothing is happening above. Also changing the colour of it would be more mesmerizing...well, or just add some lsd... ;O)

By the way is the the 1.7 source file the right one for 1.8?

Greetings,

taumel

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#12]
see first post

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#13]
Aw, I really wanted to play this. The retro feel is good. But the I only have one joystick so it just fires into the top left corner! Am I being dumb, is there a way do play it without two controllers?

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#14]
2.1 suffers from a great deal of slowdown on my computer. So much so that I was able to easily rack up 2 million points and quit the game with 10 extra men. My highscores were about 500,000 with 1.8.

1.6GHz, .5GB RAM, GForce4 MX 440

P.S. Please make the mouse cursor more visible for hybrid mode! Consider having it flicker between white and black - when the action gets intense, white-on-white is particularly impossible to see!

taumel(Posted 2006) [#15]
-) Hmm, i liked the grid graphics in 1.8 much more. If you wanna stay with the lines i suggest making them wider as they are just too small. But i prefer the solid grid more...

-) The area is too large. I enjoyed the fixed area more.

-) All the menu entries are aligned to?

+) Nice sound effects!

Greetings,

taumel

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#16]
Top stuff.

Once I editted the config.txt file to change the key controls to WASD (using ascii key codes, if you wanna change it yourself), it was suweeeeeet.

joncom2000(Posted 2006) [#17]
taumel I am not sure if you are aware but you can change grid type by pressing F3 to cycle between several modes while playing :)

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#18]
LineOf7s: select "keyboard" as your control type and you can change the keys in-game, then set the control type back to "hybrid".

Mark1nc: consider setting the default key config to WASD?

taumel(Posted 2006) [#19]
@joncom2000

No thanks i haven't noticed it. I just downloaded and instantly played it. But as you've mentioned it i also looked at the config file...

Greetings,

taumel

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#20]
octo: Coulda sworn there was a big "see keyboard config *cannot be congiured" bit in-game when I looked, but I could very well have been in hybrid mode at the time. I'll check it out as soon as I get home from work.

Thanks anyway. :o)

flounder22001(Posted 2006) [#21]
great game! i got a scor of 1.8 million, though i hope to break it tommorrow ;)

another idea for an enemy would be one that gets bigger whenever it hits another enemy of its kind (one of them would be deleted)

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#22]
see first post

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#23]
Mark-

This is absolute quality. Great gfx and sound, and you've really improved the gameplay since the first release. I imagine it's hard to tune this sort of game to give the feeling of 'surviving against overwhelming odds', but you managed to achieve that without making the game too frustrating.

taumel(Posted 2006) [#24]
Hi Marc1nc,

o Good that the solid grid is default again.
o Submenus are still not aligned.
o Meanwhile i enjoy the bigger playground.
o Sometimes parts of the grid are not displayed when there are black holes at the edge of the screen.

I added (gridparttail.bmx) some colours to the grid...if you uncomment colA the grid also colourcycles a bit...

Greetings,

taumel

taumel(Posted 2006) [#25]
For images.bmx better use AutoImageFlags(FILTEREDIMAGE|MIPMAPPEDIMAGE) otherwise the graphics are not filtered when rotated...

Greetings,

taumel

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#26]
Thanks taumel
I'll try to incorporate your suggestions.

2.5 is available!

taumel(Posted 2006) [#27]
*deleted*

taumel(Posted 2006) [#28]
Hey, i improved: 1.6m :O)

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#29]
New version 2.6

- Feb 12 2.6
- fixes to size stuff
- easy/med/hard fixes (xtra lives, bombs, shot#)
- (menu work still todo)
- added tamuel's groovy grid stuff
- #, letter key entry for high scores
- particle gravity (F5 on/off)
- particle count (100-10000)
- particle life (20-200)
- game reset confirm

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#30]
Now that is a GREAT game! One of the best I've seen...

Keep up the good work and MANY MANY thanks for supplying the source too.

I hope you every success with this - it really is the business - love the grid and the gameplay is great - very addictive!

WELL DONE!!!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#31]
wow... impressive...

--Mike

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#32]
Not quite enough interesting swear words to describe just how very cool this is. Congrats to Mr Incitti and all who've contibuted.

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#33]
3.0 is up

Matthew Smith(Posted 2006) [#34]
Mark,

Terrific stuff!

Found a bug - start the game and whilst playing hit the Tab Key - the program exits without warning.

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#35]
Matt -
That's not a bug - it's an office "Shut it down quick!" feature.
I should probably make it pop up a spreadsheet or something.

Anatoly(Posted 2006) [#36]
it's an office "Shut it down quick!" feature.

OMG! It's been a while since I've seen that feature in a game! Nice one! Brings back memories...

Murilo(Posted 2006) [#37]
Mark.

For some reason, the earlier versions of GridWars didn't grab me. However, I decided to give v3.1 a try and all I can say is... Superb! What a transformation. Playability is now spot on (and it's fast and smooth) and visually it's near perfect.

Boy am I glad I decided to give it another whirl... I'm looking forward to delving into the code to see how you managed it.

AWESOME STUFF

taumel(Posted 2006) [#38]
Hi

three gfx-sets now:

o HIGH nice bloom effect http://www.marune.de/taumel/test/_max/gridwars/src/gfxHIGH.rar
o MED small bloom effect http://www.marune.de/taumel/test/_max/gridwars/src/gfxMED.rar
o LOW mostly no bloom effect http://www.marune.de/taumel/test/_max/gridwars/src/gfxLOW.rar

Beware that you'll have to adjust the sizes of the animations in "images.bmx" correctly and change the name of "snaketail.png" to "snaketailOLD.png".

Greetings,

taumel

PGF(Posted 2006) [#39]
Just tried V2.8 and may I add my applause for an outstanding effort.

Reminiscent of Robotron 2084 (Arcade) and a touch of Crossfire (Apple ][) with the dual control requirement. Mind altering.

Now I'll have to look at what goodies await in V3.1.

Thanks

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#40]
Please try 3.2 and let me know if the Screensaver problem is gone (kicking in while playing with only joystick input)

Thanks,
Mark

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#41]
I guess the screensaver issue is solved.

Try latest version 3.3 FHMC

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#42]
My monitor powersave is still kicking in, meaning a frantic swipe for the keyboard and almost certain death lol

Mind you its almost worth turning off the powersave from within XP just to play this uninterrupted.

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#43]
Hmm - 2 separate things Screensaver & powersaver.
I will try the previous code skid suggested again and give it a thorough thrashing. It crashed for someone - I assumed it was that bit of code - could have been something else.

3.4 is available - adds mouse support in the menus and another Hybrid mode: move with mouse, fire with keys.

taumel(Posted 2006) [#44]
Hi,

o) New, reworked and optimised grids
o) Updated the graphics sets

links:

o gridparttrail.bmx(v3.4) http://www.marune.de/taumel/test/_max/gridwars/src/gridparttrail.bmx
o for the gfx see the links above...

hints:

o Beware to adjust the style counter in grid.bmx.

Greetings,

taumel

ckob(Posted 2006) [#45]
:( wouldnt compile for me and I couldnt run the included exe either.

taumel(Posted 2006) [#46]
Hi ckob,

i dunno which version you are talking about so i keep it general:

As for the script:

The script i've posted works fine for 3.4. If you're using 3.5 you'll best have to cut&paste the relevant stuff in there, same for older versions.

a) Copy the line Global moiAkt:Float=0.0
b) Copy and replace all from " Function DrawGrid(style:Int) " to " 'particles " (excluding this comment).

As for the gfx:

I've provided the full gfx-sets.

a) For versions below 3.2 you'll have to use "snaketailOLD.png" and rename it to "snaketail.png" as till 3.2 i haven't seperated these.
b) Then you'll have to copy the set(s) you wish into the corresponding folder(s).
c) And again if you're using a version below 3.2 you'll have to edit the sizes for the animations in "images.bmx" (icons, powerups, snaketail).
d) And last step would be to set the right style maximum in the file "grid.bmx" where it's written: "If g_style > 12 Then g_style = 0" to "If g_style > 7 Then g_style = 0"

Hope that helps,

taumel

VP(Posted 2006) [#47]
Fresh install of 3.5 fails to load.

Brief DOS window opens and displayes "unhandles memory <something>".

computer spec is linked to in my sig.

taumel(Posted 2006) [#48]
If this problem shows up with the script i've posted then you should read the message i've posted before. If it shows up when only using 3.5 better ask Mark...but i suspect that you've only got problems with the textures so for a start just alter the script without the graphics...

Greetings,

taumel

ckob(Posted 2006) [#49]
sorry, im using the latest version on your site and I get a dos window that sats Unhandled Memory exception error

taumel(Posted 2006) [#50]
Hmmm...ahh! The unused particle is missing...

Okay here we go now. Same links as before or just download the whole thing...hope that's okay Mark?

http://www.marune.de/taumel/test/_max/gridwars/src/GridWars35.zip

Greetings,

taumel

ckob(Posted 2006) [#51]
now the grid.exe just doesnt do anyting I double click it and it doesnt do a thing.

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#52]
The new version crashed twice on me with Graphics Quality = Low. It also still suffers slowdown, making the game too easy.

I still play 1.8 regularly.

taumel(Posted 2006) [#53]
Hey guys, i just wanted to share some effects, not to maintain it! :O)

ckob&octothorpe
There seemed to be some changes in "images.bmx" for sizes of the animations. Fixed now please redownload again...

Greetings,

taumel

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#54]
Version 3.7 should get rid of the UMAV on startup.
I think there is a problem with GraphicsMode() on some PCs.

VP(Posted 2006) [#55]
thanks, that fixed it.

Noticing slowdown now though. A side effect of improved graphics, I'm sure :)

Is it just me, or has some delta-timing made an appearance yet? I haven't checked the source on this latest version (previous versions having provided me a good tutorial, many thanks!).

ckob(Posted 2006) [#56]
wow this is by far the best game ive ever played in blitzmax, 10 out of 10 good job

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#57]
vinylpusher (Posted 4 hours ago)
Noticing slowdown now though. A side effect of improved graphics, I'm sure :)

> you might want to check the settings:
gfx set, resolution, playfield size, grid style will all impact the performance

MerseyMan(Posted 2006) [#58]
This is absolutely fantastic !

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#59]
3.8 is available - see first post

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#60]
Mark not sure if you read this but wondering if you had seen any reports like these:

Posted February 18, 2006 @ 9:02PM by Kanin
If you're getting an "Unhandled Memory Exception", try running the game in Windows 95 compatability mode, worked for me. Haven't had a chance to actually try playing the game yet, but hope to in a few minutes. Smile
Posted February 18, 2006 @ 10:40PM by raytracer78
Win 95 compatability mode worked for me. This is pretty sweet!!

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#61]
hi skid - heated in there isn't it.
I do it cause I love games and I like the challenge of creating them. I like the "Your awesome!" comments too.

I think that was a result of GfxModes() call.
I removed it, put in fixed number of modes and problem gone.

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#62]

Added even more screen modes (29 and counting!)
Made the greenies a bit easier.
Cleanups here and there.
(See readme.txt for more info)

maximo(Posted 2006) [#63]
how do you play this? I shoot in one direction and bulets allways keep coming from the same place I fired them first in same direction I fired. How does it work? Any instructions anywhere?

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#64]
its design to use two sticks one for steering one for shooting

Mark1nc(Posted 2006) [#65]
4.1 is ready
see site for changes