Tricky Tracks Update

Community Forums/Showcase/Tricky Tracks Update

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#1]

Almost finished, demo ready in a week or so.

Features:

- Full track editor, with ability to randomly create tracks (infinite number to play on / fall off!)
- Car setup, change suspension settings, etc
- Save and share tracks and replays over the 'net
- Will ship with 80+ track pieces including physics affected types (i.e. see-saw, etc).
- Multiple controllers supported (keyboard / joypad / wheel)
- Extra themed track piece packs to be available later.

Some screenshots and a video to have a look at :-

http://www.wildebeestgames.com/TTvideo.wmv
(1m40s ~7.1Mb)

Video quality is a bit ropey! but wanted to keep the size down.

Comments welcomed,

cheers

Mark

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think that's very GOOD!! I love the looks and the sounds of the engine and wheel. I don't like the music though =]

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#3]
Awesome!!

I think the music is fine. The whole style has come together very well.

Top marks. Can't wait for the new demo.

degac(Posted 2006) [#4]
10/10!

Bouncer(Posted 2006) [#5]
Looks like a quality product! Congratulations.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#6]
Looking good!

May I also suggest a 'rope bridge' type obstacle (if you haven't already got one).

mrtricks(Posted 2006) [#7]
Looks ace! Handling looks good too. Glad there's a track editor...

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#8]
Nice stuff.

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#9]
Kind comments all - although, Wiebo, whats up with the music ?
It took me all of 15 mins to do in MAGIX, I quite like it personally.

Geehawk : I went for the cheesy (cheesey ?) style since thats what I gravitate towards naturally - in all things.

cheers

Mark

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#10]
Top stuff!

Only one suggestion to make it complete beyond doubt: Body shell needs to be an old school Leyland mini - a la Italian Job (first movie, not the recent remake)! Of course that would suggest another music track altogether, but hey the one you got isn't so bad anyway! ;O)

Nice work.

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#11]
de..de..de...self preservation society...
....only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.....

etc, etc

Quality film!

(Not seen the new one, don't really fancy it tbh)

Only trouble with a vehicle model that covers the wheels (i.e. anything other than an 'open wheel' config) is that it tends to obstruct your view of upcoming obstacles and hinders lining the wheels up with rails, etc.

cheers,

Mark

Bouncer(Posted 2006) [#12]
One suggestion: Get rid of the speed meter or make it optional... I don't think you really need it in this kind of game?

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#13]
@ Mark Judd:

About the wheel arches; Not a lot of people know that! ;O)

I reckon it's for another time then - would be worth making time to do that whole idea so it could work in another program altogether!

Needs a load of the right scenery too, but what a hoot it would be! Steps, roofs, sewers, ramps on coaches along motorways. I'm not sure anyone needs the cliff bit at the end though! ;O)

I'm not aware of anyone doing that one before, are you? Maybe I missed it?

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#14]
The car texture looks very ... untextured? No shading or anything makes it look like it's made of flat paper or something. The shape is odd in many ways too, but anything is possible in games. And i hope you're not keeping the "T" background. There are lots of ways to make nice free sky boxes.

The track looks nice, and of course I loved the gameplay! Sort out the car texture/model and the background and i'll give a 10/10 as well.

Mark Judd(Posted 2006) [#15]
Sorry polygoon, take a look at :-

http://games.sci.co.uk/games/basic.asp?version_id=21

A poor effort though from what 've heard!

@Bouncer :

The HUD is customisable, but you can use the speedo (measures actual wheel speed - so if you lock up while in mid-air it goes to zero) to judge speed prior to taking off on a ramp - useful to avoid under / overjumping a gap.

@ Lenn John:
Sorry you don't like the car, i did want to aim for something unusual, in that i could replicate existing cars (late 60's F1 etc, etc) but at the end of the day you're drivng along an unsupported, ridiculous track so realism is pretty far down the list.

The background has gone through several versions, initially a skybox with horizon and so on but i found it could clutter the view of upcoming obstacles.

The T background was an effort at disguising the fade to white draw distance clipping and the smooth scrolling left / right up / down motion sort of added to the sensation of turning, climbing with the car.

If I'm on my own here I could offer an alternative i suppose.

cheers,

Mark

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#16]
@ Mark Judd:

You know I vaguely remember it now you mentioned it and posted the link. Seen the images before for certain.

Shame they sort of missed the boat with it, your system would handle it rather nice I reckon.

EOF(Posted 2006) [#17]
Great improvements. The demos you released earlier kept me quiet for some time. The physics interaction looks impressive (the See-Saw parts).

This is going to be fun. Especially tweaking the car setup and trying umpteen times to get a fast lap.

With regards to sharing tracks/replays over the net - Are you doing anthing with the lap times acheived with the official tracks?
I'm thinking it would be great to be able to upload a 'new record' lap time to an online hi-score table.

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#18]
add some spheremapping to the car or something, its a bit bland

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#19]
Cor blimey, it's looking -very- impressive! :)

I thought the music was ok, but I'm not sure whether it's fitting for this kind of game. What about some kind of ambient 'tension' music?

I'm not keen on the T background either tbh. What about a faded blue sky with some cloud sprites floating around the track. Gradually rising higher and seeing the clouds below could give a good 'vertigo' effect.

The only other thing I'm not too keen on is the track texture, it's scale looks too big and it's a bit too light IMHO. Personally I'd go with a darker tarmac looking texture to help show off the painted areas of the road. I'm just nit picking now so I'll stop there :P

Overall it looks fantastic, I can't wait to try the demo ;)