String Theory

Community Forums/Showcase/String Theory

Scott Williams(Posted 2006) [#1]
Our latest games is complete.

It is called String Theory.

100% BlitzMax - what a great language it is.

www.contraptiongames.co.uk

Cheers. Scott.

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#2]
Possible spelling mistake in instruction page for Strings.

"bounce of" should be "off" I presume ??

Fun stuff on initial play. Simple and addictive.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#3]
Very well produced.

The game seemed to have too much going on though and lost my interest quickly, perhaps you should not present as many bonus items as quickly as you do, they really got in the way of the game.

You might want to have a think about the right click left click thing, left handed people will have a hard time with this.

How does the game progress? it is more of the same each level? How do I complete the game?

Scott Williams(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks for the replies guys.

The spelling mistake will be fixed - cheers.

The collectibles issue will be looked at.

The mouse button thing has been played with loads and this seems to be the best way - but we will await more comments.

The game becomes faster and more frantic with more and more doomballs, quaziball speed increses etc.

Thanks for the comments. We will take them on board. More would be usefull.

Cheers. Scott.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#5]
As per Indie, very well produced especially the in-betweens such as menus and level changes.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
Yeah nice one. It's novel! Grpahics and menus look great.

Why does escape pressed in-game totally exit instead of bring up menu and go back to title screen etc. This is abnormal.

On the menus when I click options or instructions, I expect to click exit or OK at the end, but as the main menu just shrinks and moves, when I click exit, it trys to exit the game. You have taken a different menu approach to nomal which may be more efficient but is actaully more confusing for the user who is used to "standard" meus, imho.

I think the instructions are too long-winded, not for me personally but for most people.

Anyway good luck with it. I'll have to check out your other game soon too.

Scott Williams(Posted 2006) [#7]
Hi Grey Alien.

thanks for the comments.

I suppose the menu stuff is down to taste, I personally cant be bothered with clicking more times than I have to.

I think you are correct about escape - I just thought it would be good for people playing games at work to get rid of it right away. Might change it though.

Cheers. Scott.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
Well, the workers will end up with your upsell screen on-screen istead! For work I had a boss key "B" which changed to windowed mode and minimised automatically. Also I programmed in Ctrl+X for instant exit (good for developement) and I put these keys in the readme.txt, not that anyone ever reads it.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#9]
Was the butterfly game also written with BMax?

Scott Williams(Posted 2006) [#10]
The butterfly games was written in blitz 2d to start with ( the old original one ).

After we completed String Theory we then converted Butterflies to Max so we could produce the Linux and Mac versions (coming soon ).

As we were converting it anyway we added a couple of features, such as making the fire a little transparent and object scaling as they fall off the screen etc.

String Theory is quite different in the way we programmed it though. We made good use of the OO support in Max. I am really impressed with the language.

Scott.

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#11]
Really cool stuff, very professional looking!

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#12]
I get a blank window 100x200 with my 810Intel GFX card

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#13]
Wow, awesome little game, well made.