Flamewar!

Community Forums/Showcase/Flamewar!

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#1]
From a joke Grey Alien made in the General forum, I decided to develop a game about flamewars. It's been going smashing; I've only been working on it since Friday, but it's already almost done. Soon I'll release it as freeware. Here's a screenshot:

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#2]
That looks awesome.

...Awesome in terms of how incredibly it sucks! How could you do something like that? I could do better with my eyes closed! Go ahead, prove me wrong! :P

Does it have multiplayer? Hmm? Multiplayer? Or couldn't you figure it out? We all know that the only person who can do that is myself! But I'm not going to help you!

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#3]
*breathes fire at you*

Iamhere(Posted 2006) [#4]
In these days I see often programers they make retro games,
why not make arty games.
But don't smoke while playing, the wall's are made of paper.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#5]
Mr Pick, shouldn't we wait to see how it develops before we offer opinions?
Unless of course there's already a flamewar going on that the rest of us didn't know about?
Chill, man!

Yan(Posted 2006) [#6]
/me slaps John with a soggy sloth.

Jeroen(Posted 2006) [#7]
COOOOOL!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#8]
Bah, this is crap! ;) Seriously, it's a great idea, you should stylize it more, eg. add some special weapons like CAPITAL power up, temporary MOD force, TUNNEL SkipTags, MAILTO provider etc.

puki(Posted 2006) [#9]
Interesting.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#10]
hehe Pickles :), as others have fallen prey I thought i'd make my own post clear:

/flameon
Bah, useless. Your ideas amount to little more than the creative output of rodents - no wait, they at least invented the odd plague...
/flameoff
That's original

/flameon
You clearly cannot draw, i've seen two year olds with better drawing skills. Inventing your own artistic style because you are not as good as everyone else is not art, too draw badly an artist must first know how to draw, clearly you've missed this obvious fact because had you not we'd at least be looking at a well crafted text document.
/flameoff
I like the artistic style, it's great.

/flameon
As you clearly havn't a creative muscle within you i'll lend you a hand with a suggestion - as otherwise i'll end up play testing this for you (because i'm a nice person who does such things as others here will testify!) and be bored out of my skull. With a theme like this it might be wise, if you can grapple the concept (or indeed any concept greater than eat/sleep/mate), to enable inter-player attacks which inflict pain on the opposition as opposed to a regular frag fest. The joy of a game such as this should be in the injury inflicted upon the opposition, and not just a frag, of course I dont actually expect you to have figured this out yet considering the hormonal urges someone of your age is suscepteable too.
/flameoff
No polite descriptions now as I think you get the idea, no?

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#11]
add some special weapons like CAPITAL power up, temporary MOD force

Those are some great ideas for powerups. I wasn't planning to get as elaborate as having powerups, but I may just have to implement those. As part of the gag, powerups wouldn't have any actual affect on the game, they'd just add an icon to the screen to indicate you're typing in all caps.

Does it have multiplayer? Hmm?

I wasn't even thinking in terms of multiplayer. Duh, that's a pretty obvious thing I should do.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#12]
Joe,

Are you going to sell some space on your walls?

You could make it like the million dollar flamewar wall text web site or something, where people could buy their flame into your games wall space, if you make a million from this idea I want 10%!

Lol!

IPete2.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#13]
verrrrrry original idea... i just luv the graphics... it's so... so... so, i dunno what...

do this... this needs to be done...

--Mike

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#14]
Fantastic idea if it becomes more than an FPS with flames.

Are you going to sell some space on your walls? 

or give each user a textbox. What they type appears on the wall.

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#15]
That looks good for a static picture but will get real boring real soon if it's all you have in an animated game. There's nothing there graphically.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#16]
That looks good for a static picture but will get real boring real soon if it's all you have in an animated game. There's nothing there graphically.

Yeah, it does get boring soon. Which is why the levels are tiny, there are only a few, and the game is freeware. The whole thing is a gag, and like any gag, the amusement wears off.

why not make arty games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#17]
uuuhhhh... you might reconsider when you take the following b&w retros into consideration...

1- Sin City
2- Pleasantville
3- Shindler's List

4 -what someone is doing in Torque

5- what someone is doing in TGC's FPSC

...plus, he could always have it fade to colors near the end, or during parts of the game.

--Mike

Iamhere(Posted 2006) [#18]
Possibly a misunderstanding , you must know
english is not my natural language .

>why not make arty games.

I mean, your game is a arty game, and why not make such a game.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#19]
Oh yeah, I got that, and I love that you said that. Making arty games is my life's true passion. Just look at the first link in my sig.

you might reconsider when you take the following b&w retros into consideration...

The issue isn't the b&w. In fact, that's the only greyscale level. Each level has a different color scheme, and most are based on bold blocks of color. Thing is, the levels are all rectilinear with bare walls.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#20]
... oooooohhhh, i see now what the objection is...

well, that's gonna be the challenge for the developer to meet... either by doing some equally outrageous wall graphics... or by doing something else...

... after all, i hear that in the FW dimension, everything is rectilinear with bare walls... like in the Twilight Zone... that's what makes it so totally alien...

--Mike

Iamhere(Posted 2006) [#21]
Is it you on first Icon, first picture ?
when clicked on newarteest.com

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#22]
Ace well done for actually doing what you said you would, this is cool. I like the look a lot, the cell-shading is cool and the flame is awesome.

Plus I get to go in the credits, wooo!

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#23]
@andrea: Yeah. I was originally planning not to have any pictures of me on my site other than the photochopped one on the main page, but I liked that picture for showing the piece.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#24]
ok... all you detractors of mono textured, rectilinear 3D environments... you are about to be amazed!!!

seriously...

go here for enligthenment (this must be a zen time of the month or something)...

(link coming soon)

--Mike

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#25]

Wow, ages since I saw a Pencil Whipped screeny.

Last I heard it was being remade in Reality Factory.

----

Screens look cool, and orginal, compared to the other stuff you see posted. Are you planning on making the insults humorous? The insult-swordfighting in Monkey Island was/is a classic, maybe do something like that?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#26]
... hold that thought M, and go here

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=55709

--Mike

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#27]
Great link. Merci

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#28]
hehe i thought it was quite funny

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#29]
Next time someone says something dumb in a forum I'm gonna post this: