VERLE CAR new version

Community Forums/Showcase/VERLE CAR new version

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#1]
DUAL ANALOGE ONLY .. sorry!!

http://www.steviegoodwin.plus.com/Engine_Test.zip

I just thought I'd show you all the new version. As yet I'm still undecided what I want to do with the engine but there are quite a few possibilities.

Some screenies ...

Firstly, you'll need to configure your joypad. Load the file JOYPAD from the Config folder. Use the mouse to click on Up or Right on the appropriate joypad and then move the stick in that direction. If the guide spot goes in the opposite direction you expected, click on that axis again and move the stick in the opposite direction. Note that you will also need to set up 3 buttons. To do this just click on the button number, then press the button on your joypad. Joypad dead spots can also be amended.

Current set up is for a PS2 joypad, where button1 = SELECT , 2 = TRIANGLE , 3 = R1.

CONTROLS

SPACE = Reset Demo
BACKSPACE = Alternate Scene between playground and race track.
Pad Button1 = Change Car
Pad Button2 = Change Camera
Pad Button3 = Hold for a rear view

You can change your screen set up / depth etc... by editing the file "Setup.cfg" via a text editor. You can also set the demo up for 2 players. Screen is split vertically for best view.

THE VEHICLES

Major handling improvements .. at least I think so. A wee bit of sound for engine and skidding. Collsion Improvements.

Truck
CopCar
Tank
Train
Hovercraft
F1

KNOWN ISSUES

Camera View needs to automatically adjust to ensure no geometry obscuring view.
Need more camera angles and better system in general. Cameras are a pain!!
Vehicles sometimes get stuck under things. Unavoidable with the playground scene.

I'd really appreciate any feedback. I'm mostly interested in your FPS , how you found the joypad setup and how you found the vehicle handling?

Cheers
Stevie

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#2]
Woah!

Thats cool! Youve used your track gen code too :D

Looks and plays damn good! I tried to do some Verlet stuff a while ago, got semi-vehicles but it just wasnt good enough, this however, is, again, damn cool :D

BTW,60fps solid, gf6800 though so thats not surprising :)

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#3]
This game is so fun. It's kinda addicting. Just sit and crash the cars for an hour.

Avrigus(Posted 2006) [#4]
Looks really cool for here, reminds me of that old Sega arcade game with flat shaded 3D cars, etc. You NEED to include keyboard controls! I have a dual stick game controler at home but not here at work, i'm sure it would be a very easy thing for you to do (although I agree playing with an analogue controler would be by far the best method of control).

What are your plans for the final product? Would you consider selling the source as a racing game engine?

Neuro(Posted 2006) [#5]
This is pretty cool...its kinda like playing with remote control toy cars and crashing them! Really weird controls though....reminds me of R/C racing...

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#6]
What are your plans for the final product? Would you consider selling the source as a racing game engine?

I'm not sure about what I'm gona do with it yet but I have quite a few possibilities. :) I'm thinking about a Driver style RC game. At the moment the engine is very clean and portable so it's easy to implement a new vehicle or object. As with any physics style engine it takes a fair bit of tweeking. I would consider selling the source but there are a few things I want to implement before I do. Do you think anyone would be interested?

I'll add keyboard controls back in but it plays much better with analogues.

This is pretty cool...its kinda like playing with remote control toy cars and crashing them! Really weird controls though....reminds me of R/C racing...

Yeah, it's meant to be RC atm so I'm on the right lines. Wierd controls?

Cheers for the comments guys.

Stevie

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#7]

Wierd controls?

Your controls work on mine like this:

Left stick left/right=left/right
RIGHT stick left=accelerate
Right stick right=reverse...

Thats... Strange :D

Bouncer(Posted 2006) [#8]
This is getting really cool.. much improved driveability since last release!

Keep it up! You could do some very cool games with this...

PS. Train is really cool... it's fun to push it off the track with the car!

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#9]
@ Cygnus & Nero re controls ...

Firstly, you'll need to configure your joypad. Load the file JOYPAD from the Config folder. Use the mouse to click on Up or Right on the appropriate joypad and then move the stick in that direction. If the guide spot goes in the opposite direction you expected, click on that axis again and move the stick in the opposite direction. Note that you will also need to set up 3 buttons. To do this just click on the button number, then press the button on your joypad. Joypad dead spots can also be amended.

The idea is that left stick controls steering and right stick controls throttle. Let me know if you can get it set up ok as I haven't tested the Joypad config with anything other than a ps2 one. Oh .. and I borrowed some code from Pongo .. obviously.

Cheers
Stevie

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#10]
Sorry, but WHY NO KEYBOARD support?

It can't be THAT difficult to add! :/

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#11]
@ Grisu

It's obviously not difficult to add keyboard support. I can assure you that it really doesn't play as well though. I'll add support later today for those who remain in the dark ages ;)

Stevie

degac(Posted 2006) [#12]
I'm glad to remain in the dark ages too! Please add support for keyboard!
I want to play your game!
byez

BlitzSupport(Posted 2006) [#13]
This rules. (I didn't have to do any setup changes with my Saitek P880 pad.)

NefariousD(Posted 2006) [#14]
Very cool. Did some minor configuring with my XBox 360 pad and it works very well. Color me impressed :).

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#15]
Keyboard support now added back in. Handling is not as bad as I thought :)

Use Cursors , f1 = change car , f2, change camera and f3 reverse view.

Cheers
Stevie

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#16]
Thanks Steve! Works well.

I like the tank!
Please make it shoot, so I can take out the other cars... hehe.... :)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#17]

I like the tank!
Please make it shoot, so I can take out the other cars... hehe.... :)

Strangely enough that's next on my TODO list ... should be able to get some spectacular explosions going on :)

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#18]
Love it to bits!

Another masterpiece in the making Stevie. Controls are brilliant. I spent ages just knocking the train off its track and resetting and doing it again along with chasing the other objects, vehicles etc.

Cant wait to see this developed into a full game for kids or something.

IPete2.

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#19]
thats was fun, wait while my 8 yrs old gets his hands on this , he will love it

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#20]
yeah... this is the sorta thing, in one form or another, that would definitely apeal to the younger set...

... marketing it, letting the parents know about it and getting them to see that it is the virtual baysitter replacement for a $79 die set of Lego car building blocks is gonna be the challenge... should you decide to market along these lines...

--Mike

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#21]
I guess it's the photo realistic graphics which suggest a kids game? I'm not a graphics man as you can see but I'm gonna stick with the style 'cos I do like it. It's fun gameplay over visuals every time for me I'm afraid!!

I'm really keen on hearing any suggestions that anyone may have in turning this into a game though? There are far too many ideas going round in my head :-o

Geehawk(Posted 2006) [#22]
Tonka Toy football ;-)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#23]
Very impressive, the destruction derby-ness of it makes it very playable. My 6 year old and my 4 year old didn't want too put it down!

Look forward to any more development - would gladly pay a small fee via paypal for something of this quality.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#24]
Great peice of code as usual, Stevie. ;) I was amazed at the constant FPS, even on my old rig - I don't think it dropped a frame. Very nice.

Now, get your ass in gear and make this into a finished game! :P

/me cracks whip.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#25]
I think it out legos Lego!

IPete2.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#26]
Thanks for the comments guys ... always good for motivation!! The only thing I can think of that would incorporate all these vehicles ( and all the others I've been thinking about ) is a driver still game but I'm open to suggestions? Anyone think of a vehicle which would be cool to try and replicate?

The tank now fires shells which blow everything to @#!*!!! Great fun even if I say so myself!!

Had to loose the mirrored floor ( didn't suit the theme anyway ) but will replace it with some form of simple shadow system at some stage.

Will upload a new version in an hour or so.

Stevie

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#27]
Smooth 62 fps here.

You've done a real good job there, nice one :)

There is one thing I don't like about the control method, on my PS2 pad I can only accelerate using the right stick. It would be good to have the option of using buttons for acceleration/braking too.

It might be intentional but the wheels seem to go a bit wonky when the car tips over, as if the rotation of the wheels are a few steps behind the rotation of the car bodies.

I really like the graphical style of the demo and also how the F1 drivers head gets thrown side to side when turning, hehe nice touch :)

[edit] More car ideas... ambulance, fire truck, school bus, bulldozer

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#28]
http://www.steviegoodwin.plus.com/Engine_Test.zip

New Version with Tank firing. Current set up is for PS2 pad ... but you can change the buttons etc... or load your old config and just add button 4 for firing.

Button1 = Change Car = SELECT
Button2 = Change Cam = TRIANGLE
Button3 = Rear View = R2
Button4 = Fire = R1

For keyboard press ENTER to fire

Will need to work on some more vehicles .. I like the bulldozer idea ... cheers. All the rest I had in mind too.

I will probably add support for a button to accelerate at some stage but it's more geared towards RC style.

I know about the wheel thing .. a feature of the suspension system I use but only really noticable with the truck and I think it looks kinda quirky.

As always feedback of any kind very welcome.

Cheers
Stevie

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#29]

I will probably add support for a button to accelerate at some stage but it's more geared towards RC style.

Hmm, both of the RC controllers I use have steering on the right stick. Probably explains why I struggle to get used to a 'acc/brake on right stick' configuration in car games. Most commercial games I've played use the same backwards config, GTA: SA springs to mind.

Might be worthwhile to add an option to swap the stick controls ;)

More vehicle ideas for you... fork lift truck, ice cream van, limo

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#30]
@ Vip3r ... you can do it youself in the joypad configuration program. Just use the left stick to configure the right and vice verca.

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#31]
Heh, I completely missed the config prog :)

Impressive stuff, keep it up ;)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#32]
Steve, could you add a black "Knight Rider" car?
(fast and being able to jump) :)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#33]
Grisu, A big Hoff fan are you? I'll see what I can do ( it will be basic in fitting with the current theme ) but with the red cylon style thing animating at the front. I'm just finishing off some basic shadows. I wish someone ( Lenn ) would release a free stencil system ... soon :(

Oh .. and you can jump with everything else already .. maybe not as far as you'd like though?

DavidG(Posted 2006) [#34]
What physics system did you use ? it all works really well, my 2 year old plays with it for hours on end. The visual style adds to the fun rather than detracts. I agree more play less eye candy.
Great work

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#35]
David, I use my own engine. It's basically verlet integration as described in Jacobsens paper with alot more control / additions. It was a big effort with many failed attempts but I think I've nailed it on the most part. :)

Knightrider car with special nitro button in the works. Maybe post this at some stage over the weekend.

I've had enough of getting stuck under some of the stunt track geometry so gonna design some mesh tiles myself so that I can start concentrating on the game itself!!

Stevie

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#36]
Steve exactly, I was thinking of some kind of timed nitro boost. So you can do even more crazy jumps.

And I think the car fits into the theme... :)

Btw:
Have you decided on what kind of game this will be?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#37]
Not really but I want to gameplay mechanic very simple as alot of kids seem to want to play it!

I thought of a few modes which could be quite fun ...

Freeplay ( do what you like as it is now )
Racing ( vehicles all the same )
Wacky racing ( vehicles can be different)
Last Man Standing ( destruction derby )
Tank Destruction ( Destroy all other vehicles in timelimit )
Stunt ( accumulate points )
Survival ( police and tanks after you )
Chase ( chase HQ style )

For this I'm gonna do a tile based system where you can have city streets / stunt obstacles / water ( for boat racing ) etc... Will be a bit painstaking 'cos I'm not a modeller but I've got a load of mesh functions I'm using to get the job done.

Stevie

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#38]
Works great with the Xbox360 controller :)