The Beast(Demo..Sortof)

Community Forums/Showcase/The Beast(Demo..Sortof)

Q(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've just completed my very first AI in Blitz(Yay!) and I want to show it off to the world, so check it out:
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/18494/thebeast.ace

It's simple, but i'm proud to have made it :o)

The objective of the game is to reach the goal (the green square) while avoiding 'The Beast' (black square) by strategically trapping him behind walls. To move, click to the tile you want to move to. You can only move one tile in any direction per turn; the beast moves two tiles per turn. When you hover the mouse over a tile, if it turns yellow, it means you can move, if it's red, this indicates there's a wall.

Here are the controls for the included editor:

Left mouse click - Paint/Place object at mouse x,y
Right mouse click - Erase wall at mouse x,y
P key - Paint mode/Wall mode
E key - Enemy spawn mode
W key - Goal mode
Q key - Player spawn mode
Ctrl-S - Save map as
Ctrl-L - Load map

If you want to contribute to the game by making a map or two that'd be great :o) I'll give credits too.

I'm aware that a 'MAV' error pops up after level 7. It's because there's no level after that, and the program tries to load another.

Q(Posted 2006) [#2]
Off-topic: I'm curious, how do you guys change your .exe icon?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
Off-topic: Try to use reshacker..

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
plus there's a userlib to replace the icon in the window titlebar.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#5]
How do you make a step?

Maybe Im being daft here but I tried all the common key combinations and the mouse - nothing worked.

IPete2.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#6]
IPete2: The mouse, but you can only click on a walkable square directly touching your character (the white box, IIRC)

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#7]
oh thanks, Im glad you explained that - (hint some instructions with the proggie maight be a good idea).

IPete2.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#8]
Instructions would have been a good idea indeed -- took me a while to figure out how to control it as well, or realize that the point was to catch the monster in the dead ends of the walls.

Q(Posted 2006) [#9]
Sorry 'bout that.. I've updated my post with the instructions. I've also updated the link to the latest version, which contains new levels(7 total).