Stencil shadow system progress

Community Forums/Showcase/Stencil shadow system progress

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi guys. I thought it was worth your attention to check our recent worklog entry :)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?log=587&user=7811

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
I'm looking forward to this .. I have quite a few games on the go just now that could do with some nice shadows ... don't we all!! Please tell me that this'll be free?

Cheers
Stevie

degac(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'm reading you worklogs since half november...I'm waiting...why 2 days damnation!
PS: in your sig I read "Stencil Shadow Sytem (open source)" but the dll is not developed by you, so is it open source still?

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#4]
Of course it will be free Stevie. It will be open source so it has to be free! I think the DLL will also be open source, but you have to ask Spacemonkey about that.

The greatest news is that you can have animated characters casting shadows now which we thought was impossible!!

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#5]
Cool... So much good stuff coming out! Blitz3D might be old and lacking in features but über-users sure make it age gracefully. :)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#6]
You could have animated entities casting shadows before. But, you couldn't cast shadows ONTO animated entities :o) This sounds excellent man. Keep up the good work. I'm sure people would still pay for this if required. I would :o)

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yes but those kinds of shadows are much slower than stencil shadows for animated entities ;) especially when there are many of them. And they arent as sharp or precise too. So i guess the best thing is now you can have animated entities casting onto animated entities :o

I dont want anyone to pay for this because it should help the blitz community. I didnt make anything really useful so far.

Spacemonkey(Posted 2006) [#8]
@degac

Here is a snippet of the DLL

#include "stdafx.h"
#include "math.h"

#define BBDECL extern "C" _declspec(dllexport)
#define BBCALL _stdcall

const float PI = 3.14159265359f;

O_o

The source code will stay here until the system is 100% ready and then you can knock your self out in the source. By all mean improve the code; this was after all my second DLL ever.

degac(Posted 2006) [#9]
@Spacemonkey

thanks but this is greek for me :-)

But I'm sure there are many people here that are very interested in it! And it could be the starting point for me (and for other I suppose...) to get closer (again for me...) to C (and the DLL creation...)
I just want to know if all the project was still 'open-source' like L.E.n started it...because sometimes things change..:(
Go ahead!

Spacemonkey(Posted 2006) [#10]
@degac

http://www.blitzmax.com/sdkspecs/sdkspecs.php

BTW - it is a C++ DLL Written in VS2003.net

degac(Posted 2006) [#11]
thanks for the link, but I'm more interested into how you have to manage the access to blitz3d internal structures...(if I can understand something) and so on...
Byez

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#12]
We arent accessing blitz3d internal structures really, we are pretty much only using Direct3DDevice7=SystemProperty$("Direct3DDevice7") ... you can see previous code without volume building somewhere on these forums, just search for my old (1 year) thread. Dont want to post this code now.

Spacemonkey(Posted 2006) [#13]
FAQ:

Q: What is the TFP DLL?
A: It‘s a unit that can do massive TFormPoints based around a point in space.

Q: How do you work with it?
A: Check out this test http://www.spacemonkeys.dk/Blitz/TFP_Demo000a.bb - You need the DLL to run it ;)

http://www.spacemonkeys.dk/Blitz/TFP_Demo000a.rar - DLL is embedded

The DLL is only calculating vertex positions for directional light offset at the moment; point light will be added soon. Right now I am busy with the animation section – it not 100% done yet but it works so nicely

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#14]
This sounds really great and I'm looking forward to see some real quick and nice shadows in Blitz.

Not sure if it was said, but wouldn't it also be possible to stick a pivot to every vertex of a B3D, then parent them to the bones, then use TFormpoint to get the world coordinates of the vertices? Well at least with 3ds hierarchy based animations it would work I think, although probably pretty slowly.

Spacemonkey(Posted 2006) [#15]
@JFK

And which bone controls which vertex and which weight is added - the list is long - so a Blitz3D TFormpoint for every vertex might not be a fast solution

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#16]
Spacemonkey, that DLL is pretty powerful, i know a lot of people complained how TFormPoint is slow. You just need to be louder about it if you are going to release it, and put in some nice examples for ease of use, so a lot of people see it and know about it. You should put it in the code archives , toolbox or wherever it belongs.

Oh and, another delay has struck me. Wouldnt you beleive it...

Dripht(Posted 2006) [#17]
How is your shadow system progressing? I think we'd all really like to see some screenshots or a video of it in action.

OJay(Posted 2006) [#18]
or you could just release your current code, so we all could help you completing it :)

i got a pretty decent stencil-system myself, but always had problems to create a good render-pipeline (shadows flickering, incredibly slow etc)...maybe we could learn from each other :)

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#19]
Oh i'm working on a "chunk" now, so without it nothing works. I have a demo of one triangle casting shadows but thats also using the old code so i wouldnt really want to release that, and a video of one triangle casting a shadow isnt that spiffy :P you can imagine it yourself anyway lol.

Well, thanks for reminding me that you are "waiting", apparently i need reminding, so i'll get onto it as much as i can (dont i always say that).