360 shooter progress

Community Forums/Showcase/360 shooter progress

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#1]
1-13-06 Download available
http://www.andimages.com/proofs/pongo/NeonBlast_Teaser.zip

New movie! (1-12-06)
http://www.andimages.com/proofs/pongo/gfx/360shoot9.mpg

Here is a movie of progress so far,... Enemy AI is progressing. Videos are playing a bit slow.

Edit: removed a bunch of stuff here.
See the code archives for the joypad config utility.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1592

edit: this was the original joy axis thing,... now replaced by the one in the code archives.

Here is what I have on my 360 controller.
1. Stick1 X = JoyX() (-1 to 1)
2. Stick1 Y = JoyY() (-1 to 1)

3. Stick2 X = JoyPitch() (-180 to 180)
4. Stick2 Y = JoyYaw() (-180 to 180)

and on one of my logitech controllers

3. Stick2 X = JoyRoll() (-180 to 180)
4. Stick2 Y = JoyU() (-1 to 1)

And on the other logitech controller

3. Stick2 X = JoyRoll() (-180 to 180)
4. Stick2 Y = JoyZ() (-1 to 1)

Thanks for any feedback

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#2]
Logitech WingMan RumblePad:

Stick2 X = JoyRoll()
Stick2 Y = JoyU()

JoyPitch, JoyYaw and JoyRoll should always return values in the range -180.0 to 180.0 for all joysticks.
JoyX, JoyY, JoyZ, JoyU and JoyV should always return values in the range of -1.0 to 1.0 for all joysticks.

The game looks cute :)

Eric(Posted 2006) [#3]
I really like the look of your game.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#4]
This'll be a handy survey. I just hope everyone responds.

As you know my Ps2 controller uses the 'other logitech' templates.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#5]
I've two pad, both report differently, they are xBox(USB) and Logitech Dual Action. Best you make a config screen.

I like the look of the game, very retro, very ummmnnn....... Did someone give you a copy of the SpaceJunk Source code? http://www.indiepath.com/spacejunk/ . Please do not take offense, although I am being deadly serious.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#6]

I like the look of the game, very retro, very ummmnnn....... Did someone give you a copy of the SpaceJunk Source code? www.indiepath.com/spacejunk/ . Please do not take offense, although I am being deadly serious.

If that were me I would be extremely offended - Do you think you're the only person who can knock up an asteroids clone !?!
This looks much better than that Space Junk junk anyway.

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2006) [#7]
Logictech Dual Action:
Stick1 X = -1 to 1
Stick1 Y = -1 to 1
Stick2 Z = -1 to 1
Stick2 Roll = -180 to 180

EOF(Posted 2006) [#8]
Saitek P880 - Dual Analogue:

Stick1 X = JoyX() (-1 to 1)
Stick1 Y = JoyY() (-1 to 1)

Stick2 X = JoyRoll() (-180 to 180)
Stick2 Y = JoyZ() (-1 to 1)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
If that were me I would be extremely offended - Do you think you're the only person who can knock up an asteroids clone !?!
This looks much better than that Space Junk junk anyway.

Well it's not you! and yes Space Junk was "Junk", that's why I gave the source code away and that's why I asked the question!

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#10]
not offended,... haven't seen the source code,... wouldn't mind seeing it though, although I'm not sure I'd understand it. My programming skills are a bit weak, so I get by with the bits that I know.

I'll be posting up code eventually, but I want to try to clean up the code first, and make some joystick options to support different controllers.

I'd love to be able to make it open enough that others could add in their own ai routines and expand on this beyond what I can do, but that's probably just me dreaming again.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#11]
Wow and I thought I was making something similar to Geometry Wars ...

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#12]
You may find this useful, it converts all the axis that Blitz uses to the same number range (0..1). The only thing you need specify is what axis controls what (in your games controller config screen) and whether to reverse the axis or not (which is not consistent between controllers).

global joy#
Function joystickAxis( axis,reverse=0 )
	Select axis
		Case 1
			joy=(1.0-JoyX())/2.0
		Case 2
			joy=(1.0-JoyY())/2.0
		Case 3
			joy=(1.0-JoyZ())/2.0
		Case 4
			joy=(1.0-JoyU())/2.0
		Case 5
			joy=(1.0-JoyV())/2.0
		Case 6
			joy=(180.0-JoyPitch())/360.0
		Case 7
			joy=(180.0-JoyRoll())/360.0
		Case 8
			joy=(180.0-JoyYaw())/360.0
		Case 9
			joy=JoyDown(1)
		Case 10
			joy=JoyDown(2)
		Case 11
			joy=JoyDown(3)
		Case 12
			joy=JoyDown(4)
		Case 13
			joy=JoyDown(5)
		Case 14
			joy=JoyDown(6)
		Case 15
			joy=JoyDown(7)
		Case 16
			joy=JoyDown(8)
		Case 17
			joy=JoyDown(9)
		Case 18
			joy=JoyDown(10)
		Case 19
			joy=JoyDown(11)
		Case 20
			joy=JoyDown(12)
	End Select
	If reverse Then joy=1.0-joy

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#13]
I like the visual glowing light style and nice particles.

Eric(Posted 2006) [#14]
Pongo..I'm limited in my programming skills and would love to learn how you did your effects. So I'm ready for you to release the source... :)

aab(Posted 2006) [#15]
Looks excellent, and (contrary to most pc retro-remakes with updated graphics) the presentation is really practical.

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#16]
heh, 360 shooter. At first I thought you were shooting the symbols that you find on playstation controlers ;)

Looks nice :)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#17]
Have a look at Zap ... they allowed you to configure the game for a gazillion gamepads as well as the mouse and keys ... it's probably the best of these sort of shooters on the PC ... well that I've seen. They could have done some smoother turning though like Geometry Wars ... I got my game to smooth just like Geometry Wars using the gamepad.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#18]
Anybody that's been following this thread, can you check out the input test at the top?

I have four control methods in place right now,... anybody have something that is not working with one of the four?

Also,... a few new movies showing the animations of the enemies. Things are moving pretty slow in the vids because I was having a heck of a time recording and not getting overwhelmed before grabbing the sticks again, so I slowed them down for that.

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#19]
Can you use a button on the stick to start video and stop? Might help.

Like the new util by the way, very, very nifty.

Logitech w442 - method 2, tracks stick ends perfectly.

Don't get caught out by one called a rockfire USB travler (no, they can't spell either!) They got some funky stuff going on in those controllers - push buttons that activate genuine axis inputs! Longer you hold them the further up the axis they go - opposite button moves it back in other direction! Can be handy for flightsim contoller hackers like me though!

Trust predator QZ 500 USB also has something like that going on, but only on one or maybe two of their axis. (not had that one apart yet, but one axis for sure)

It's probably about time we had a whole new set of utils that can help fathom out newer USB type controllers as they are showing signs now of turning into a whole other ball game. Old utils are not coping at all with many of them.

If anyone felt like taking it further I am sure a whole load of folks would be most appreciative of that effort.

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#20]
@Banshee:

The code example you posted seems incomplete?! <shrug>

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#21]
I have just posted a new dual axis config utility in the code archives.

Please test it out, since that is what I plan to use to solve the dual stick issues.

I hope to add it to the shooter code and post that this week if all goes well.

thanks.

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#22]
That's really rather neat.

Only wish-list item I'd add is that it asks for the sticker and model and PID from the labels on the base of the stick. Also has the choice to use that as the filename - if this was done then people could upload configs as they make them and every one could share in that as a useful living & growing resource.

You'd know exactly where you were with a system like that. Maybe leave a space for the information providers details too? <shrug>

The more info the better really.

Nice job so far though.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#23]
I actually took out a presets option I had in an early version because things were getting confusing. I think most configurations fall under about 4-5 different settings, but in the end I scrapped it for a straightforward "move your stick and this is what you get" approach.

The way I plan on setting it up, the user will only have to run the setup once anyways, since it will automatically load the config if it finds one already. That way you only have to run it again if you change sticks, not every time you want to play the game.

The only addition I thought of would be to save different filenames like "Xbox 360 controller.cfg" or "logitech dual.cfg", but that just something easy enough for someone to add to their own code if they wish, so I left it.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#24]
I think what you've done here is a great help to all. Thankyou.

@ Polygoon, don't you think it'd be a major hastle to get information on all possible joypads .. behave?! What you have here does exaclty what is required and I'll definately be using it in any analogue game I create from now on.

Cheers
Stevie

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#25]
Ah, I must have explained it really badly. It would indeed be a serious major pain for one person to get all that info on all those pads;

That was why I suggested (or at least set out to suggest) That if the program could use the make and model as a filename, then as people used the utility, they could easily upload the file to a community area and so help others.

This way one person would only have to collect info on those few devices that they had access to and upload it, over time that would build into a set of files that anyone could use to help them code for those devices in the future.

I'm sorry if I have caused confusion, that was not the intention at all, quite the opposite, as I am sure you can now plainly see.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#26]
Get you point but then again, it only takes 2 secs to configure it for yourself ... such is the ease of the app.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#27]
Method 4 works for me perfectly with a Gamecube controller via USB connector!! Great code, thanks! I'm planning a shooter like this as well... (in BMAX though)

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#28]
Just posted some new movies at the top, and wanted to state progress.

Right now the framework is all in place, except for the custom joystick code. That code is finished, as you will know if you have followed this thread, so I just need to move it over.

I'm a bit at a crossroads though,... my original plan was to throw this up here by now for everyone to have a play, but now I'm at a point where I feel the code needs a serious re-working. (Everything works properly now, but it's very messy)

I'm thinking of throwing the whole thing out and rebuilding it from scratch again, with the knowledge of what I just figured out, but it's obviously going to be a bit longer before a version gets posted to play with.

If I get a chance to move the joystick code over I may post an .exe for anyone to have a play with for now. (sorry,... just a little bit longer)

Big&(Posted 2006) [#29]
Really nice progress mate.

Have just been commenting on Mark1nc progress. Seems everyone is doing a version :)

Good luck with the project.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#30]
Looks excellent Troy. It's obviously a popular game .. never played it myself.

I'm thinking of throwing the whole thing out and rebuilding it from scratch again, with the knowledge of what I just figured out, but it's obviously going to be a bit longer before a version gets posted to play with.

If you can see a better way of doing things then I say recode it and consider you're current build a prototype. While daunting at first it makes progress much quicker in the long run especially if your having to bodge the current code to add new features.

I think we're all guilty of throwing together sloppy code to prove a concept but the biggest mistake is continuing to add to these sloppy foundations.

Stevie

big10p(Posted 2006) [#31]
I'm a bit at a crossroads though,... my original plan was to throw this up here by now for everyone to have a play, but now I'm at a point where I feel the code needs a serious re-working. (Everything works properly now, but it's very messy)
Just post an exe, then. :)

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#32]
Ok,... closer to getting a file ready.

Finally have a name,... unless everyone thinks it sucks,... "360 Neon Blast" or just "Neon Blast"

Anyone fancy creating some music/sfx?

Have a lookie at the new movie at the top in the meantime.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#33]
Oooh, I'd love to have a go at doing some tunes for this one...I'd need a prototype though to get the old creative juices flowing...

What sort of music would you choose?

http://indiepath.com/tim/spub.mp3
http://indiepath.com/tim/out.mp3

[edit] you really need a bass bin with these babies

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#34]
Neon Blast is now ready for a download (see top of thread)

Things have not been optimized yet, so you may need a fast machine to run this. See the readme for more info.

For the music I'm looking for something with a pretty fast tempo,... I won't be able to listen to those for a bit, so I'll comment later.