wip

Community Forums/Showcase/wip

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#1]
I am currently adding some features to my game engine, here's a shot with some decent HDR filtering:

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#2]
Cool...
Lol; I recognize that light flare from your first engine demo! It still looks amazing.

I think you should make the water a bit more shiny next :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
game looks cool for sure

OJay(Posted 2006) [#4]
again: Bloom !== HDR(-Rendering)! HDRR is no filter and your image above looks a bit blurry, but i can't even see a bloom-filter...

please don't use words, you don't know nothing about their meaning! thanks. (and a happy new year ;))

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#5]
Ojay. Take a pill

Bouncer(Posted 2006) [#6]
Ojay is right though... and I can't see any bloom filter either...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#7]
IMHO too much Bloom fx like in a toothpaste ad doesn't fit in a shooter game. It is decent, as I said. However, the engine allows to use various amounts of this effect. But hey, this really looks like crap to me:

BTW the shots are resized from 1024 to 640, so they look a bit blured compared to the original.

As I said, it's wip. I didn't say I'm the best games designer in the world, so don't worry. But there's an entire level , not only the 4 walls you see right now.
Those who ever made an entire fps level (not talking about using content packs ) know that it's a lot work, much more work than nitpicking here and there about the work of other people.

well, it feels good when people recognize the effort one used to spend, but personally I don't expect too much. That's not a problem because I know my skills. ;)

This is rather a sign of live from my game engine.

puki(Posted 2006) [#8]
First screenshot looks yummy.

You've got my email - send the code and I will improve it where I can.

The thing on the right (health bar?) is going for starters.

OJay(Posted 2006) [#9]
sorry, didn't want to be offensive! i'm just annoyed by reading "Look at that HDR! isn't it great? and it runs on all Dx7-cards too!" over and over again...even the newest graphics cards on the market aren't able to render real high dynamic range images in realtime ;)

with the second screenshot i agree, that there's a slight blooming effect :-)

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#10]
jfk, do you know how much I really, really hate you ;-)

Respect!

poopla(Posted 2006) [#11]
Looks decent, but they are right about using a term like HDR for bloom. The more accurate description, AT BEST is tone mapping, in which you would render your bloom frame with the models having only grayscale luminosity textures(tonemaps) to weakly simulate HDR. HDR in full implementation is per pixel lighting to simulate the dynamic range of light we have in the real world.

(I can't remember the numbers, but in orders of magnitude of realism, without HDR implementation, rendering is at something along the lines of .0002 percent accurate :))

Panno(Posted 2006) [#12]
lol "Cate Archer on Drugs " or JFK ???

looks cool ;)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#13]
I hate these Bloom Effects.
Theres an easier way getting them... 3 bottles of beer will mostly do fine... :)

P.S.:
And yes, even "crappy" ati cards with sm2.0b can do bloom and hdr well.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#14]
lol at Panno, indeed they had lots of drugs in the 60ies. Thought the NLF designers where on LSD...
Grisu - unfort. I stopped dringking beer for a while now. There's a sixpack in the corner, but I won't touch it. so I gotta do it the hard way.
In fact I still got that ugliy flickering sideeffect with my Bloom Emulation, so probably I'm gonna turn it off by default.