Iron Fist via IGLoader

Community Forums/Showcase/Iron Fist via IGLoader

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#1]
Check out my Iron Fist demo (web version) delivered via IGLoader from Indiepath.

http://igloader.com/examples/ironfist.php

Make sure you click in the game window so that kepresses such as space to start the game get recognised.

Keys are: arrow keys to move, jump, crouch. z = kick, x = punch.

I challenge you to beat the demo and post your score!

Happy kicking and punching!

P.S. This is a Work In Progress, so don't give me no lip!

SSS(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think the game is fun... but more importantly i think IGLoader is really cool! It's come along way since the last demo (like it works :P) but it makes trying your games really easy... I definately like it. One thing that I would do is check whether the person has IGLoader before having the window come oup with, "you need to have the latest version..." It's quite annoying.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#3]
One thing that I would do is check whether the person has IGLoader before having the window come oup with, "you need to have the latest version..." It's quite annoying.

The annoying message will go away when you install the latest version :D

SSS(Posted 2005) [#4]
Are you sure? I installed the latest version, but it didn't go away.

(I played more of the game and it's really cool. I would add more enemies, and allow the character to climb up hills but other than that it's really cool. Good work!)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#5]
SSS: Thanks, glad u like, I think it's got a really nice arcade feel to it, smooth and easy to play. It was my first BlitzPlus project started Nov last year and abandoned after 6 months as I realised it would take too long to finish. It has real potential, enemies, weapons, keys, puzzles, different level graphics, moving platforms etc. Actually it has a 17 page To Do list!! I just knew to finish it was going to take months of code plus need an artist or two etc and I wasn't convinced that the target market was big enough. Hopefully I'll work on it again as it is something that I am really keen to do as I LOVE this sort of game.

Try my other games at http://www.greyaliengames.com

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'm getting the message also and I know I have the latest version cos I'm going to be releasing an online game with igLoader soon as well :)

This is one of those games I have always thought I should try but never bothered downloading cos the graphics were crap (no offense :) ), I guess I have no excuse now there's no instal :)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#7]
I'll make it a new years resolution to sort the Javascript out :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#8]
Binary: "crap" s'OK, the graphics are all placeholders, the gameplay and technical achievement of a smooth modern platformer is what I was trying to achieve, try it! (well I know actually the gameplay needs loads more, but this isn't even an Alpha version, it's more of a (old)tech demo ;-)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2005) [#9]
Tim - Have you noticed that if you set something loading in Firefox and then leave the current tab the images all go away but the sounds work (so the game is probably there somewhere)

Grey - Crap graphics don't encourage people to play though :) I've tried it now and it's actually quite good fun. I agree that you should be able to walk up the slopes though. Jumping up hills that you can walk down seems a bit daft, but in general it seems quite solid.

Based on this I'm now downloading your Xmas game :)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#10]
Tim - Have you noticed that if you set something loading in Firefox and then leave the current tab the images all go away but the sounds work (so the game is probably there somewhere)
If you want the game to pause when it's window loses focus you will need to implement that yourself. Tabbing within firefox will cause the window to lose focus, so you can detect it.

Based on this I'm now downloading your Xmas game :)
This is exactly what I hoped igLoader would achieve. Firstly, you would not have normally downloaded and installed this game. Secondly, based on the merits of the game that was (so politely) delivered to your desktop you are trying another game. Now if Xmas bonus was "enabled", hint hint.......

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#11]
Binary: hunh, you can walk up all slopes (the code took ages!). That's weird you have to jump up hills, do you mean steps (which are not the same as hills), I'm sure that's what you must mean, cos yeah you have to jump up them at the moment, sorry. Hope you enjoy XMAS Bonus, it's completely different!

Tim: Yeah, I'll web enable it ASAP. Helen's birthday today and Callum's (no2. son) tomorrow so gotta try an shoehorn in some time.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#12]
OMG, just noticed what you mean about the hills!!! That totally works in my desktop version but Tim compressed the graphics to 8bit for the web and obviously the collision detection is now shot due to the mask colour no longer being the same ARG!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#13]
Na, nothing to do with me :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#14]
hmm, the conversion of the graphics to 8 bit introduced a rogue pixel that meant you couldn't walk up the first slope (you can jump up it). Hopefully a fixed version will appear soon ... right Tim, where's my gun, oh I forgot I'm British we don't (generally) have those... ;-)

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#15]
Nice one Grey, I always liked this game. Just out of interest how are the XMas Bonus sales going? This type of web based system can only be good for promoting your games. Good luck with it.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#16]
fixed the slope issue (thanks to ultra prompt assistance from Indiepath even on new year's eve!) Also thanks to SSS and Binary for the heads up on the issue, invaluable. I tested the whole thing but just jumped up the hill out of habit!

Jason: Thanks! Sales are going well thanks, can't disclose numerical info due to being in a contract I'm afraid. But I was happy to sell even one. lets just say that I set several milestones and they've been broken and the sales haven't stopped even though it's after christmas. I'm not going to be rich however as this isn't a top 10 game, and they are the one's that really make the money, plus it will fade pretty quickly now Christmas is past and it's out of the "new" lists on the portals (I think). Some games sell all year round of course. If the publisher ever lets me (and they might never) I'll post the downloads/sales/conversion rate figures for the good of the community.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#17]
Works fine here in Firefox, only thing I can comment is possibly adding in a delay in the code (or event handlers since yer using B+ there), as the program hogs 100% of the CPU, making it really hard to do anything else with the browser while it's running.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#18]
The game doesn't use event handlers. As Tim suggested, I could detect loss of focus and pause the game I guess, but even paused it would still have to run a program loop to detect unpause! On my PC it only uses 50% according to task manager.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#19]
I had the same problem with the igLoader telling me it needed the newest plugin installed ... even after the newest plugin was installed. The game itself was quite fun and complete.

Dock(Posted 2006) [#20]
Nice work on Iron Fist! The only really problem I found was that punching was pretty much a waste of time, as there weren't any instances where I needed to punch. It has a short range and isn't too powerful either.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#21]
Thanx guys. Dock, yeah it can be useful to get crates or punch an enemy's feet if he is higher than you, also it is faster than kicking so you can get more hits in and stun the enemy, although it's less powerful of course. Later on you'll get an "Iron Fist" powerup that'll make it all worthwhile! The fighting aspect of the game really isn't at all balanced yet, it's just a bit of fun for now.