It's all gone a bit Apocalypse Now

Community Forums/Showcase/It's all gone a bit Apocalypse Now

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#1]

I really must finish the texturing on the tanks and jeeps though... they look rubbish!

EOF(Posted 2005) [#2]
Great. Especially the first pic.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#3]
The helicopter doesnt look very textured either ;)

Add some sort of detail maybe?

Hey, a nice solution to barren landscapes: Apocalypse theme! Everything was destroyed by huge nukes and thats why you see flaaaat ground with nothing on it. Joking. The areas remind me of when i played some Apache game, it looked just like that and i did get immersed. Back then.

mr.keks(Posted 2005) [#4]
i also like the screens.

the ground next to the camera looks somehow flat, empty and boring. there should be some details like gras, rocks and maybe dust clouds raised by the vehicles, i think.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#5]
Lenn, I'm getting there putting scenary on the ground! One thing at a time! Adding detail in the grand scheme of things is easy now the editor is up and running, just got to make the models!

Inarie, yeah, there will be dust trails... Looking at a couple of foliage systems however, you don't really pay that much attention when you're flying around but it does look good on screenshots! I'll probably be a nice to have though, I've certainly not ruled it out.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#6]
Looking good... hell of work.

P.S.:
And make the tanks leave ground tracks too. <> Dust... :)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#7]
This looks to be taking shape nicely, Rob. Does it play 'Ride of the Valkyrie' while flying around dishing out napalm death, yet? :P

puki(Posted 2005) [#8]
Ooooooh.

Does the sun rise and set?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#9]
I require a download IMMEDIATELY!

puki(Posted 2005) [#10]
However, not if it doesn't have a realistic day to night cycle.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#11]
i see what you're doing... getting a lot of the basics in first... looks great...

fine tuning the texturing can come later...

--Mike

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#12]
Looks good :D

I hope those jeeps and tanks are place holders, because well, those are WW2 German cars and tanks :P

Gameworx(Posted 2005) [#13]
Amazing! I'd like to see this in action. Is there a demo available yet?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#14]
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#15]
This looks great... can't wait to play! ...
And HAPPY NEW YEAR!

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#16]
Getting better by the day.

Jason.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#17]
Piff - he never finished Carrier Command...

N(Posted 2006) [#18]
I like the look of this. Any chance I can help out with the texturing?

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#19]
Thanks for the comments here's some answers:

There's not going to be a download for a while, got to get the whole engine working before that happens.

The sun doesn't set.

I'm going to beef up the tank, and add a hummer.

Noodle: Of course there is! What do you want to texture?

N(Posted 2006) [#20]
Rob: Anything, really. Just don't want to see something like this go unpolished. Feel free to send me any models or textures or whatever that need work and I'll try to work on them when I get time (currently, I'm free 'til the 18th this month).

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#21]
I'm already using some of your textures anyway from your excellent Lotus particle system.

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#22]
My Hummer is coming on quite well I think...

1036 Triangles so far... Still need to mount a gun on it though.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#23]
Looks pretty amazing already - will be superb once textured !

googlemesilly(Posted 2006) [#24]
looks fab ! :)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#25]
That first shot looks awsome. If it plays like zeewolf then you've definately got a winner on your hands.

Stevie

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#26]
why kill the simple jeep?

The more vehicles to destroy the better! :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#27]
Sunshine, Smiff: Ta

Stevie: It plays similar to Zeewolf, height is controlled for you so gameplay is very simple, ie, left right, forwards, backwards, shoot gun, shoot missile.

Grisu: Never said I was getting rid of the Jeep!

Think the Hummer is just about done...

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#28]
Finished hummer looks nice!

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#29]
Any updates on this?

What's the chopper movement like? Is it like a real chopper?

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#30]
Seven,

I really only get time to code at weekends and some weekends are busy. On top of that I have 'real life' to deal with too.

There's a scappy movie on the previous thread so you can see how it moves a little.

Regarding is it like a real helicopter, having never flown one or indeed been in one it's hard to say. However, I'm pretty sure it's nothing like a real helicopter, not even close. However, it swoops around, and is fun. You don't control the height, thrust or anything you just rotate left/right and accelerate forwards/backwards. The control system is mind melting simple, I did this on purpose so it's not a simulation, it's a game. Too many games use exact physics and flight models and this can sometimes detract from the game playing experience, this is simple and fun.

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#31]
*oops, double post*

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#32]
lol, I've never flown a real helicopter either, so I've no idea if it flys correctly or not.

Anyway, from your post and the screenshot, I've seen the answer to what I was trying to ask.

monkeybot(Posted 2006) [#33]
looks good

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#34]
I know you're still working on the code, but something I noticed is that the heli model looks more like a transport vehicle than a war machine.

I can't see anywhere that rockets and such would be mounted.

An apache would look sweet like the old 'strike' games.

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#35]
It is a transport vehicle. Originally it was an apache however, it's difficult to fit passengers in one of those so it got bigger and fatter. The missiles magically appear from underneith it.

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#36]
The missiles magically appear from underneith it

New military technology?