Tank Destroyer (WIP)

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Destroyer (WIP)

John J.(Posted 2005) [#1]
Update: "Tank Destroyer" was a temporary title. The game is now called "BattleTanks II".

"BattleTanks II" is a game I've been working on to enter in a programming competition.

I thought I'd show a few screenshots and a video of it here in case anyone may find it interesting. I can't upload it, since the competition rules don't allow it to be "published" before the competition has ended.

Click here to download the video (slightly outdated) (~4.8 MB)

Genexi2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Quite the lovely terrain & sky-box you got there.

Somewhat reminds me of BattleField1942, which is a good thing since I loved that game.

Justus(Posted 2005) [#3]
I like these BF-like games and I hope it will feel like "Mechanized Warfare" which was really ccol.

My advice: Make the player feel that he is really IN the game - that would be exciting

John J.(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yeah, Mechanized Warfare is a really nice game (although it always seems the AI has unlimited view range and accuracy - but maybe that's fixed by now).

About feeling "In" the game, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Adding realism to any game makes it more believeabe, and easier to feel like you're really there, but maybe you mean something else?

P.S. I'm looking for some good 2D side-views, top-views, and front-views of tanks to use as a reference so I can make some more realistic tank models. Do you have any ideas where I can get this info?

Justus(Posted 2005) [#5]
With "IN the game" I mean that you really feel like a part of that cruel but exciting war (hard to describe ^^). That is not just a thing of realism but I think you understood what I meant ;)

Make sure you have many other tanks and the right camera view - the player should be able to identify with the tank!

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#6]
John, try here under the blueprint section. I think they have tanks in the vehicles section.

http://www.suurland.com/

Jason.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#7]
QuickSilva: Thank you! That is exactly what I needed.

Maxus(Posted 2005) [#8]
Nice.

Here like your game, we for a long time have developed her.
In game it is used AI.
http://www.smartbots.playz.ru/demo/SmartBots0.25.rar

John J.(Posted 2005) [#9]
I now have some better-looking tanks in my game:

My new M4 Sherman model, which is the "Light Tank" in my game currently. I plan to also make the M10 and the M1 Abrams for Medium and Heavy tanks.

German tanks here are just american tanks with german markings. If I have extra time when I'm finished I'll probably add authentic German tanks.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#10]
Maxus: You're game is very good! Very nice graphics, sounds, and overall presentation. Very professional. Just out of curiosity, what modeler do you use? I like the way you're sphere/cubemaps are built into the B3D file.

B_Paulie(Posted 2005) [#11]
i think its cool :)

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#12]
www.onwar.com has all you need for WW2 tanks.

Looks cool :D

Justus(Posted 2006) [#13]
Very cool tanks :D

Maxus(Posted 2006) [#14]
John J.
3dMax 7 + Pipeline (plugin)

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#15]
This has really taken off, good for you!

HNPhan(Posted 2006) [#16]
you know what, I really like that terrain, that bullet is pretty decent altough abit black and big. Once you get some finilized tanks, weather effect, this could look really sweet.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#17]
that bullet is pretty decent altough abit black and big

I know. I would make it slightly smaller and more transparent, but at the speed it moves, it gets very hard to see.

Once you get some finilized tanks

The last two screenshots I posted showed the final version of the light tank. Do you have any suggestions for improving them?

HNPhan(Posted 2006) [#18]
The current tank is nice, but lacks alot of detail

I know you cant get that in a game, but I'm sure you can get closer to that ;)

AmazingJas(Posted 2006) [#19]
This looks cool. I love tank games :)

John J.(Posted 2006) [#20]
TigerZ: Thanks for the pictures. I've added some boxes on the back of the tank, which makes it look a little better. Unfortunately, I can't go much over 1000 polys per high-detail tank, because this has to run on a GeForce 2 (according to the competition rules).

Anyway, I just added an M10 Wolverine to the game now. It will be the Medium Tank. Next will be the M1 Abrams, for the Heavy Tank.

The game has come a long way since the last screenshots, including a complete menu system, tree engine, water + water effects, scalable detail settings, etc. I thought I'd post a new video:

Click here to download (4.70 MB)

Psionic(Posted 2006) [#21]
Looks like seriously good fun to play and the gfx are looking great, good luck with the competition!

John J.(Posted 2006) [#22]
Psionic: Thanks. :)

Update: I have finially decided on a title: "BattleTanks II". The competition will end in about a month, so I'm beginning to finish up the game. The game engine is mostly complete, so I'm focusing on making new maps and tanks, and adding finishing touches.

In case anyone is interested in playing BattleTanks II, although the competition ends in about a month, I won't be able to release it to the public until March 31, 2006 (when the judging ends).

John J.(Posted 2006) [#23]
New Screenshots!

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#24]
heh very cool, looks very torqueish with the terrain and everything :).

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2006) [#25]
Is it multiplayer? The video makes it look fun!

John J.(Posted 2006) [#26]
There's no multiplayer support currently, but I will probably add multiplayer later.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#27]
Update: The game is almost complete now, except there's still alot of features I would like to add that I know I won't have enough time before the deadline, so I'll just keep on adding features until the deadline arrives.

I've recently added a user manual (which has instructions on playing, using the menus, gameplay tips, etc.), and a PDF mouse- and key-chart which you can print out if you want. Also I (not so recently) added menu music, which makes it a little nicer, and some nice backgrounds for the menu GUI, and improved the tank physics so when you fire a shot, the tank rocks backward realisticly (or sideways, or any other direction, depending on the direction you're aiming) from the recoil. Also, the tank rocks slightly from the impact of any shells hitting your tank.

Currently on the top of my todo list are shadows casted by the tanks to the terrain, having the M1 Abrams "heavy" tank complete, and a 3D accelerated text scoring and chat display system (I'd like to make the AI tanks talk like in my other tank game). I'm currently working on the shadow system.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#28]
Update: My shadow system is now complete:

Also, you may notice that I changed the shell's color from black to a glowing yellow/white.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#29]
looking better and better each time J... looks like real fun...

--Mike

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#30]
I was just about to suggest adding shadows, but you've done it and those last screenshots look excellent.

Have you tried messing around with a little more distance fog - a subtle hazing going to blue can look really cool with mountains - looks like you have some, but perhaps a little more would look nice.

wizzlefish(Posted 2006) [#31]
That's really cool. Very nice graphics...

John J.(Posted 2006) [#32]
Have you tried messing around with a little more distance fog - a subtle hazing going to blue can look really cool with mountains - looks like you have some, but perhaps a little more would look nice.

You're right - I only have a very small amount of the distant haze. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll experiment with the fog to find what looks best.

P.S. I just found out that the competition's publishing rules have changed slightly. I can release the game on the contest's website for beta testing, etc., but no where else (until the competition winners are announced - then I can publish it any way I want). So when I'm ready to release the game, I can post a link to their website where you can download my game.

Biggles(Posted 2006) [#33]
What a great Vid.
Looks like it plays really well.

About the tanks, would you concider a tank model if it was free, or does this break the rules of the competition.

I could knock one together for you if you would like?
1000 polys wouldnt be a problem.
would you concider baked in radiosity to the vertex channel
and a single 256x256 24bit texture?

- Biggles

John J.(Posted 2006) [#34]
I'm not sure if using someone else's tanks would break any competition rules or not. Either way, I probably should try to do most of my game's art myself when entering a competition. Thanks for the offer, though :).

Biggles(Posted 2006) [#35]
Its always more satisfying when its your own work. Best of luck with the competition. I cant wait to play the released game.

email me if you run out of time.

- Biggles