Announcing DaRender!

Community Forums/Showcase/Announcing DaRender!

poopla(Posted 2005) [#1]
DaRender(for lack of a better name mostly). Is a 2d in 3d rendering library at heart. While it handles rendering pixel perfect graphics without a hitch, it has alot more functionality to offer then that alone. It's still under construction so to speak, but I thought I'd toss a heads up out there. Here's a short list of it's sub systems.

DaRender Functionality:

Entity Structure - It uses an entity structure with a matrix orientation system for easy manipulation of location/rotation, as well as almost all the functionality found in blitz 3d - I'm still working on a few things to make this complete, such as parenting heirarchy, collisions(the library is in place, I posted a screen a bit back, and it will cover any collisions needed other then pixel->pixel collisions)

Image structure - There's an image structure that manages the single surface imaging, and keeps that out of your hair, while giving you access to everything you could need including image animation.

Delta timing - the system is controlled internally to keep your game running at the right speed on every system.

2d in 3d text - You know what this is :).

Maths library - vector, and matrix opperations in place.

Timer setup - Nothing too special here, but you can create and use timers, and get a percentage of completion and such.

Audio manager - Audio management to augment the blitz systems with little helpers like audio fades.

"post render" effects - This just constitutes built in bloom support, and you can do quite a bit with it in combination with other effects, and settings in the bloom filter itself.

Special effects - A built in particle system, the real cool thing about this is a particle isn't only limited to being a bit of eye candy, it's an entity. So you want a bullet to hit an entity with a certain special effects ID and throw sparks? Easily done!

GUI - This isn't a windows clone, but it's been built for easy creation of menu systems within your game, but don't let that stop you from using it in custom editors if you like.

GUI scripting (the UIFX structure) - this little helper lets you script out actions and apply them to your GUI items to give life to your visuals without pain! You can also call changes in the DaRender's render state(which will let you alter DaRenders global functionality... so things like having bloom fire up at your whim) The menu video in the link below shows it at work. I'm not posotive right now, but I may expand it to work on images/entities as well for full freedom.

I'm working on an effects generator right now to build effects animations with ease(it will be called DynRender I think, but I'm bad with names so who knows).

Any questions/requests from people who think they might be interrested in purchasing this eventually, fire away!

Here's the vid of a menu using DaRender, enjoy.
(PS: The game name "heavy callibur", unless already in a game being sold/simply in existance without my knowledge, is mine! No stealing! :D )

http://www.savefile.com/files/7597241

[EDIT]Just noticed DaRender comes up alot on google.... but it's always in a foreign language, does it just mean "the renderer" or some such? If it's another project I best change the name :D.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
sounds good. Indeed, always make sure your name is not already used by an other popular app.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#3]
Maybe you should team up with antony wells.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#4]
(PS: The game name "heavy callibur", unless already in a game being sold/simply in existance without my knowledge, is mine! No stealing! :D )

Um... I think you mean 'caliber' instead of 'callibur'?

Caliber: the diameter of the inside of a tube; the diameter of the bore of a gun; the diameter of a bullet or shell.
Callibur: No definitions were found for callibur.

poopla(Posted 2005) [#5]
jfk: Yeah, usually good measure to do so.

One Eyed Jack: I don't know why I'd do that? Nice stuff on your site btw, blood.

xlsior: Good eye! My spelling isn't the greatest :)

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#6]
which language is it for?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#7]
Lol @ Rob.

poopla(Posted 2005) [#8]
Slunkar: It's for blitz3D.

Merry christmass all!

poopla(Posted 2005) [#9]
Has anyone DL'd the video? I'd been told people were having codec problems, then I updated media player, and lo and behold I am too! I'm almost sure I encoded it with the DivX codec, which I have, so I'm not entirely posotive what's up.

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#10]
Nice menu... I heard that you are about to give it away - do it! More free stuff... I'm not sure that I'm going to use it for anything but just a couple of weeks ago I though - hmmm... it would be nice to have a library that did [look at the features of DaRender!]... And here it is! I'm shocked!

Dragon57(Posted 2005) [#11]
I downloaded the video and had no problems viewing it.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#12]
Wow! Slick looking!

VP(Posted 2005) [#13]
Video works fine here. I like what I see.