One player Yahtzee

Community Forums/Showcase/One player Yahtzee

Q(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have finally had the patience to completely finish a game all the way through in Blitz. Thanks to those here who helped me with some issues calculating dice rolls. Here it is: http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/18494/Yahtzee_install.msi

For those of you who aren't familiar of what Yahtzee is, i'll post a guide up later, or you could just google it ;)

If anyone comes across a bug please let me know about it, thanks.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#2]
First I have to offer my credentials... I used to play Yahtzee 'professionally' (for cans of beer - 1 for every 100 points difference) every night when I was at university. My best night I managed 1971 points over a six round score sheet.... so I know what i am talking about for tactics.

Possible bugs...
============
I got Yahtzee early in the game and thought I had chosen it then clicked submit... only the first quarter of the button changed to a darker colour.

At the end of the game I seemed to have an extra go after every category had been darkened. It then allowed me to choose Yahtzee again. Only then did the game finish.

User Interface comments...
====================
Too much red. Red dice on a red background and depper red for chosen categories doesn't work for me. You need a better contrast to show what has been chosen and what is left

For master tacticians we really need to see the points awarded to each category... not just the total score

... A good strategy is to 'sacrifice' the ones category while trying to get lots of sixes... these can be put in sixes, 3 of a kind, 4 of a kind, yahtzee and chance - and all serve to bump up the score considerably. But I need to know if I have made up for some sacrificed ones or twos through getting extra threes, fours, fives or sixes in order to still make my bonus. {I am sure you have included the bonus - right ?}

The scrolling text when you get a yahtzee was a bit cheesey - could do with something a bit more exciting !

I would prefer to click on dice to toggle whether they are 'held' or not rather than on a hold button.

SM. ST. and LG. ST. - is there any way to fit the full text on ? (Possibly call them Low and High)

Not too keen on the blocky retro text for score and 'Highscore' etc. - doesn't fit with the classy font used for Yahtzee title

As mentioned... Yahtzee is played over six rounds. You should have a scorecard to show the history of each round.

What does the digit in the top left corner do ?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any way... Congratulations on completing your first game. Have a serious think about colour schemes before tackling the next one... UI design is almost as important as coding.

Q(Posted 2005) [#3]
I based this Yahtzee game off of a handheld version, which allows one more try at the end of a game to score a Yahtzee before ending, so this was intended. You can score a total of 4 Yahtzees.

I agree, the color scheme has too much red, I'm horrible with art... I'm going to redo the layout when I get time.

That's a good idea, i'll add a option to view a score card.

The '0' in the upper left-hand corner wasn't suppose to be in this build (oops!). It was from when I was testing the game.

Thanks for the criticism, I have much to learn!

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#4]
You can score a total of 4 Yahtzees

I am used to the 'official MB Games' version. From memory, you get 100 extra points for every 'extra' Yahtzee that you can legitimately fit into another category, so you could theoretically get a Yahtzee in every category except Low and High straight (a Full House being 3 of a number and 2 of the same number again.)

If you are intending to develop the game, it might be cool to have a multiplayer version (over a network ??), as player v. player tactics do come into play when you are chasing an opponents score... Do you take the 'safe' low straight when you still have a roll to go, or risk a no holds re-roll to try for another Yahtzee...

An alternative challenge would be to try writing some AI code for a computer opponent.

I'm sure the community will be happy to chip in with help and advice on either of these options ;-)