[MaxGUI] Menu Maker

Community Forums/Showcase/[MaxGUI] Menu Maker

degac(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is my first attempt to create an application with MaxGUI: so consider it as an experiment at the moment!
This is a ALPHA and I hope to finish the program before Xmas

http://www.graphio.net/download/MenuMaker.rar (140 Kb)
http://www.graphio.net/download/MenuMaker.zip (167 Kb)

Critics, comments and suggestions are welcome!
Byez

[UPDATE: last version 0.74]
[UPDATE: last version 0.76]

degac(Posted 2005) [#2]
I know that is maybe the stupidest program ever written, but perhaps there will be someone that can find it useful...
version 0.3 - export function,load and save fully operational
http://www.graphio.net/download/MenuMaker.rar (146Kb)

Merry Christmas!

version 0.4 - update function and delete item working

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
Merry christmas to you too.

Usually it's a good idea to post a screenshot of your work, so people have an idea what it is about. I'd also suggest to use ZIP instead of RAR because some people do boycot RAR for some reason.

I can't say much about your menu system because (shame on me) I haven't got bmax yet. So all I can say is: thanks for sharing your work!

degac(Posted 2005) [#4]
As suggested by Jfk E0 I added a Zip file and a link to an image.
Byez

[edit] I uploade the last version 0.6 ML that can support multi language menu.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
That's looking very useful! Usually I hate to implement menus, but this editor seems to make it dead easy.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#6]
I didnt want to write an editor! Degac, you did it already! Keep adding functionality to this program! Its good stuff! Appreciate the hard work!

degac(Posted 2005) [#7]
some bugs to destroy...if you have suggestions and critics, please post

degac(Posted 2005) [#8]
New version 0.71 ML
http://www.graphio.net/download/MenuMaker.rar
http://www.graphio.net/download/MenuMaker.zip
I added support for clipboard and some help in exports. I have some *@#!** bugs to iron out and then this program is finished!
[Update 0.74 ML]
Some bugs eliminated, now you can manage menu with full support for multi language in you own applications.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#9]
Multilingual is a great idea :-)
I haven't worked out the best way to do it in any of my stuff yet.. so I'm waiting to see what the nice folks working on the community IDE are going to come up with.

degac(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thanks!
I think that multilingual support is a 'must' today for the big and for the small program.
How to implement in a GUI is another problem...I don't know if my solution is the best, but at the moment it works (except some little bugs that I discover every 2 minutes...)

PS: I've just uploaded the LAST version (item with no string will cause problem...)

PPS: I'm looking every day to your worklog for GED...It seems that you are a bug-hunter, every day a post :)
Hope that BRL - after the holidays - will read your info and will bring solutions...

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#11]
Hi degac.

A couple of little problems, I see :
* if you add a new submenu to a new menu, and then use up/down on that menu, the text of the menu moves but the submenu stays where it is. (I had this problem too with my stuff :-p )
* adding a new menu, I can't seem to get it to remember the menu code for it. Or is the menu code a generated thing only?

The "test" menu thing is cool, especially switching between languages :-)

degac(Posted 2006) [#12]
Hi
I know I know...these damned bugs...
the first one is 'a I-will-win one day-bug'.
For the second I have not understand what do you mean exactly: all the 'reference' code (menu-handler, menu-constant and so on) will be generated in the moment of export ..:constant for example will be 're-numerated' every time you export.
Initially I started the program with more textfield: one for the menu_handler, one for the menu_constant and so on - but I just realized that it was faster write a menu directly in bmax...As it is a tool, it the tool that must have to do some works..
SO I've made some 'assumptions' on the programming process:
* menu_tag derives from the item text field ("" and " " are skipped, "to do" will be transformed in "to_do"...)
* if an item menu has child or is checked/enabled has a reference

***Bug just discovered (in this moment arrrrgg): if an item has CHECKED and ENABLED status I have an error in the export...

Other problem is the file location: I assumed (wrongly) that the files (menu & languages translation) are in the CURRENT directory of the exe - I changed the load section, but I need to change the save functions too - sorry!

Well, I think I go to fix these bugs...
I had a mess to creare a 'simple' menu creation tool, but I can't imagine the CAOS that can be do a complete GUI editor...:D

Difference(Posted 2006) [#13]
Looks good.

I think you should add eventhandling to the generated code.

A functional main loop that is ready to react to the menu selections.
You could include other really basic things in the main loop like a close handler too.

degac(Posted 2006) [#14]
Good suggestions, thanks very much.

degac(Posted 2006) [#15]
@Peter
I've just update as you suggested: please try it and give me other suggestions!

Difference(Posted 2006) [#16]
I've tested version 0.76. I don't see a main loop generated?
[EDIT] Oh, I see it now "Export Management", testing...

Difference(Posted 2006) [#17]
Looks good. Thanks!

degac(Posted 2006) [#18]
If you find a more appropriated name for the option...please post! For me it's a mess sometimes find the right translation/synonimuos...