nano new gfx

Community Forums/Showcase/nano new gfx

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#1]
Just wanted to show you some new, more versatile basic level building blocks for nano...
Here's a screenie and a short vid... There are a few untextured objects in the level, in case you're wondering..

screenie...

and a vid of me wandering alone in one of the test levels...
http://www.rippedsoftware.com/nano/nano12_05.wmv

I have changed the gfx many times, because I'm such a newbie modeller and I keep getting better slowly and want to redo stuff again and again ;) Maybe I should just get the game out...

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
Awesome stuff man! Best looking blitz game ever!

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah .. just get the game out!!!!! ;) As I've always said ... this looks superb ... all hail to verlet!!!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#4]
That looks really good.

Seeing as it looks like you're flying around inside a body, could you get the background to pulsate or beat like a heart? In the screenie you've posted above it would be awesome if the back cavern was pulsing like a heart valve, perhaps with red blood cells moving in and out, possibly blurred as if they were a little way away.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#5]
Woah
Impressive... I'm dying to play this!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#6]
Video didn't work here, something about filenames not being found?

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#7]
how long was this game been in development??

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#8]
Bouncer, you've certainly done a good job of whipping up interest on this board, you had much press interest?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#9]
Wow ... that is looking fun! Can't wait to try it!

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#10]
AngelDaniel: it's streaming wmv... don't know if it works in anything else but in windows mediaplayer...

Neuro: It's been in dev on and off for too long.. over 2 years now... ;)

Indiepath: No. Because this board is pretty much the only place where I show stuff about it.

To all...

It's going to take a few months to finish this game to a sellable state. And I was wondering if it would be good to release a free multiplayer deathmatch version (no singleplayer mode) with just this one game mode, but fully functional. Then release a shareware version in a few months with updated demo version, and a commercial version with more game modes, levels, computer enemies etc..?

This way I could get some feedback on the weapons and playability and could work out bigger bugs / compatability issues before I release the final shareware version. And maybe gather some interest.

What do you think?

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#11]
Personally I think this would be a very good idea. Games like this need alot of fine tuning and balancing to get the right playability. Gives you a chance to refine anything before launch.

I have visions of this becoming the new X-Pilot ;)

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#12]
Yah I can recall back during my early experience with Blitz over 2 years ago and seeing this and anticipating to play it within the next few months.....wow thats a lot of dedication to work on something for so long.

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#13]
Still looks good, although I think you should rename it to 'Cytoblast'.

Defoc8(Posted 2005) [#14]
more dedication than me ;) - but thats not saying much :p
- looking good :] - looking forward to some playable demos :]]

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#15]
AMAZING quality and physics. This is going to be a great game. Respect.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#16]
It's fine to think of your game in terms of stages ... a great shareware game takes a long time to make ... typically beyond the initial release. If you read any of Steve Pavlina's stuff he states it again and again.

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#17]
I think it's a superb idea - I hope you do it!

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#18]
Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to release a free version in January and progress from there...

I would like to ask another thing...
What do you like to modify / customize in a game if given a chance?

I now have a level editor..

and Scriptable weapon system looking like this... All the games weapons are made in this script...

Here's a piece of the script from a gunfile to see what it looks like..

CREATEGUN 2/Double cannon/3/100/1
CREATEBUL 1/2.5/-4/0/0/5.5/150/0.1/0/0.3/0
_BULFX 118/3.5/1
CREATEBUL 1/2.5/4/0/0/5.5/150/0.1/0/0.3/0
_BULFX 118/3.5/1

CREATEGUN 5/Twister/70/5/2
CREATEBUL 1/20/0/0/0/2/500/0/0/2/3
_BULSPAWN 0/93/0/0/5

So you can make your own weapons or modify the existing ones... You can also make multiple weapon files and switch the weapon file in the game menu. This way you can quickly choose which weapon mod to use...

And then you can also model your own ships and the game reads them from a dir and let's you use them in a game...

Can you think of anything else you would like to be able to mod?

Ferminho(Posted 2005) [#19]
editing the game mechanics as much as possible (specially for multiplayer) is always cool. Not saying at the level of StarCraft for example... but this feature some games have it's great. You go to some internet server to play and realize you're playing almost a different game. It makes it harder to get bored of the game.

So, the more it can be customized the better - lives, limits, safe zones, spawns, AIs, 'conditions of victory', teams, etc

I know, it's not a very specific suggestion x)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#20]
Wow man this game's going to be amazing! Seems to have a lot of the things I've been doing on my shooter ... but done in more detail really. I know you've been working on this forever so it doesn't surprise me.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#21]
Feminho: yes.. the more the merrier... ;) I'll try to include as much possilities to change things around as possible...

I would like to also give a possibility to the user to create new items, but it would need a huge scriptig language to control the way objects would behave... I allready have the object editor (which is used to configure the physics properties), but it's not very user friendly... ;)
Maybe I'll add this stuff later, but now I'll just have to get something released... ;)

Jeremy: Thanks.