Small game demo with lighting/shading

Community Forums/Showcase/Small game demo with lighting/shading

Matty(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi All,

I've put together a small demo of a game yesterday that I may work on, not sure yet, using a technique for lighting/shading mentioned in an earlier thread.

The demo is here (617k) - source & media only, no executable - but it runs:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gezeder/lloyd/MLDemo1.zip

To play:

Mouse navigates camera (like RTS sort of) as well as WASD and mousewheel.

Keys 1-4 selects one of the soldiers (number above head flashes to show 'selected') and a second press de-selects the soldier. Space bar selects all and a second press de-selects all the soldiers.

Left Mouse Button issues a move order when the ground is clicked.
Right Mouse Button issues a shoot order at the location clicked.
Any mouse button and the letter 'L' on the keyboard turns the selected soldier(s) to face that position.

When a soldier is not selected they will respond to enemy units automatically.

I'd be interested to see how well it runs (Frame rate) on different machines, I am expecting it won't run all that well on older machines though.

EDIT - oh you need to run the file "RTSBasicEngine.bb"

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#2]
Cool.

I get 55-70 fps on a P4 3ghz with gfx440mmx ( yeh I know!!! ). It could do with a bigger view area 'cos I can't see @#!* but I guess that's the idea!!

How about just clicking on the ground the first time makes the unit rotate to that point .. a second click moves it to that point ... saves the L key stuff? If it doesn;t need to rotate it just moves.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#3]
Graphics3D 1280,800

?????

Looks really interesting, a lot like that demo we saw (from Ross?). Too bad i couldnt kill any of the aliens :) I could only deselect the guys and they'd shoot and kill them. My clicking was of no use. Where are alien health bars?

I get around 30 fps on p4 2.9 ghz, 1gb ram, 6800 gt 256, res 1280x960.

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#4]
5 fps... black screen.... only the numbers, the green bars, and one soldier are visible...

ah yeah... 1280,800... strange resolution...

the sys i used:
radeon 9600 XT
512 RAM
p4 2,53 Ghz

i think i'll try it on my gaming system tomorrow....

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#5]
Mostly black screen , some soldiers heads, then they die.

SopiSoft(Posted 2005) [#6]
1280,800 is a standard 15.4 inch widescreen laptop resolution. ;)

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2005) [#7]
Can you include an Exe in that Zip? I'm curious to try it out.